Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 441156 times)
xpywka
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #775 - May 11th, 2012 at 10:18pm

Hi: (apologies if this is a double, I wrote a reply and my message disappeared into nowhere, so I'm trying again). Anyway, I was hoping to see if anyone has had a problem with dexamethasone mucking up the D-3 regimen? My doc put me on dex when verapamil lost it's effectiveness. I've only been at the D-3 for about 6 days and I have no intention of stopping, I'll stick with it...

Nasty stuff dexamethasone!! It's a steroid that is 10 times stronger than prednisone and my wife says it turns me into a monster!! It's like 10 espressos and keeps you up at night - always irritable and mad!!  Not sure if it's helping with the  c.h's anyway. Fortunately, I'll be done with it in a week.

Wondering too if, in the D-3 regimen,  fish oil can be subed for, say, flax or other omega 3 ? Not for me, but I thought it might help my wifes migrains ( I noticed some have had good results) - she's a vegan....

Thanks for so much good info!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #776 - May 12th, 2012 at 1:26pm

xpywka,

The effect of corticosteroids on vitamin D3 metabolism is a contentious issue...  Having said that, there are several randomized, double blind, placebo controlled studies that prove calcium and vitamin D3 prevents loss of bone mineral density in in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who were treated with low-dose corticosteroids...  so vitamin D3 still works at least to maintain BMD in the presence of steroids...  In short, no big worry... 

Have you seen your doctor for the 25(OH)D lab test?  Knowing the concentration of 25(OH)D will give you a good idea how long on average, it will take for a favorable CH response.

As far as other sources of omega 3 fatty acids for vegans go, any source your wife finds acceptable should work.  It's the anti-inflammatory properties you're looking for not necessarily the source.

My wife has been free of her chronic migraines for 17 months since she started the complete anti-inflammatory regimen.  For nearly twenty years they came like clockwork each month...  Now they're gone...  The only thing she does different is take 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

I'm tracking two other chronic migraineurs who are on the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Both of them are going on their 4th month on this regimen and they're still PF of their migraine headaches.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch   

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

xpywka
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #777 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:16pm

Hi Batch:

Thanks for getting back to me!!   Bremerton huh? That makes us almost next door since I'm in Tacoma.  I am planning to have the blood/ lab test soon, I'm looking now for a neurologist so hope to see one in the next week or two. Sure would love to find one who know what a  cluster is, I've had to show up with all the info I could bring with me in the past...

Meanwhile I've been dosing d-3 @  50,000 on Sundays, and 20,000 other days (along with the other regimen items). I figured I'd push it a bit so as to minimize the wondering if It'll work in my case... I've been reading some back discussions here on this subject, most helpful!!

That's good news about the migraineurs getting relief as well, my wife will also try this I think.

Lots of free D around our neck of the woods this weekend! Seems like we went from spring to summer in a day! Thanks for all your hard work!!

IP Logged

bhb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

SE WISCONSIN
Reply #778 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:13pm

Just an update since I've been taking this.

This is the 1st Spring in years and years that I'm not in horrible pain doing nothing but getting to work and waiting it out. I actually have days where I'm thinking "what do I do with myself" as I've never made any plans from April to July since I knew I'd be beating my head and praying for an end. I've gone to 30,000 D3 and I only have very slight different feelings that go away in seconds - but NO pain. My family is amazed and I've even gone out a few times. I will admit that I haven't gotten past the fear factor that it'll rear up and I'll have to be the party poop er but it hasn't happened.

This has been a life saver for me and I really hope it helps everybody to get life back.

Spring is really pretty this year and I'm so glad to enjoy it. Grin

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, one Billion Chinese couldn't care less.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #779 - May 14th, 2012 at 11:41pm

bhb,

Thanks for the update.  It's a fantastic feeling being free of the beast isn't it?  There's so much more you can do without wondering when the next attack is going to strike...  You're in control now...  and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll get over the fear factor.

You've also provided us with another important datum on dosing with vitamin D3.  For several months after I started this thread, it appeared the overall efficacy was a little better than 70% with the other 30% of CH'ers who didn't respond falling into an unknown category for some reason.

The thinking at the time was there were CH'ers who's condition was being driven by some other factors that for some reason didn't respond to the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

However, over the last few months there's been a growing body of evidence that suggests vitamin D3 therapy will be effective for the 30% who didn't respond to 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3...  They just require a higher daily dose.

The key thing here is the lab test for 25(OH)D...  As I've said many times...  You're shooting in the dark if you don't know your 25(OH)D level...

When you get the time, tell us about your vitamin D3 dosing schedule between your episodic cycles...

xpywka,

You're right...  We're almost neighbors...  We'll need to work out a rendezvous at some point given we're 30 to 40 minutes apart... And yes, the weather has been spectacular here in the Puget Sound area...  The last five days of severe blue sky with temps in the 80s have been delightful... 

The only problem now is not enough rain...  The lawn is starting to dry out and so is the garden...  I had to soak the raspberries and loganberries today to ensure a good bloom.

Take care and please keep us posted on your progress...  Higher doses of vitamin D3 appears to be the winning ticket for CH'ers who don't respond to 10,000 IU/day.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

bhb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

SE WISCONSIN
Reply #780 - May 15th, 2012 at 8:29am

I haven't done a blood test as it's just not in the budget yet.

what I did do was during winter I went to 5,000 D3 as I've only once ever gotten hit in winter. When March came around I went to 10,000 knowing that for the last 40 years I've spent every Spring losing my mind. Around the end of March I could feel things starting to begin so changed to 15,000 and after a week went up to 20,000. Right now would be the worst of the bout and as I was getting shadows and a few very mild hits, generally around storms, I jumped to the 30,000 and it's just a tiny feeling that's not even as bad as a sinus headache so for now I'll stay at the 30,000 level.

It is really nice to just do something and not plan it around the least painful times of the day. To just go out at anytime and mow without even thinking about it. To have someone call and want to go somewhere and be able to say YES I can go with. I've felt this incredible peace and a quiet joy that this is what life is supposed to be like.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, one Billion Chinese couldn't care less.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #781 - May 15th, 2012 at 2:18pm

Been a while since I've been on the site.  Still chronic, but the last couple of weeks have been harder than usual, so I thought I would log in to see if there was anything new.  Started the vitamins last night.  I'll keep you posted. Seems to be promising.  I am still reading through the posts. 

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

bhb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

SE WISCONSIN
Reply #782 - May 16th, 2012 at 7:49am

I saw my neuro yesterday for a different problem, MS and he saw that it seems to have slowed. I also noticed that I wasn't falling or as unsteady for the last 2 weeks. After going over the only thing that's changed my increase in D3 for the headaches he wants me to increase the amount I'm taking to 50,000 after I get the blood work done which can now be covered by insurance as it's ordered by the doc. I'm supposed to stay at 50,000 for 4 months which is fine as I wasn't going to decrease until Oct as the 1 month between my Spring and Autumn hits wouldn't be long enough to lower the D3 like the break for Winter. This will probably change any info I can provide for the headaches but if this does something to help the MS go into remission I'd be really happy as I wasn't looking forward to the wheelchair in my future.

As a side note I was surprised I had to bring info from here to convince him that females can have CH.

IP Logged

JandSmomma
CH.com Newbie

Cypress, CA
Reply #783 - May 16th, 2012 at 11:19am

And here I thought maybe my spring episode was done....

Started having light shadows on Saturday. By Monday they were heavy shadows. Then last night I got hit with a KIP 8 that lasted longer then any CH I've ever had  Angry Guess I'm going to up my D3 and see if it helps calm the beast back down. I should be hearing from my doc soon about the 25(OH)D levels real soon. Ya'll will be the first to know...

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #784 - May 16th, 2012 at 5:20pm

bhb,

Thank you for the fascinating response...  It appears you've come up with a perfectly logical and very effective year-round vitamin D3 dosing strategy to control your cluster headaches...

Fellow episodic CH'ers would do well to see their doctors about using this dosing strategy to prevent their CH instead of resorting to the very invasive prescription medications with all their onerous side effects...

That your neurologist called for the lab test for 25(OH)D and prescribed 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for your RRMS is also very encouraging...   My guess is he prescribed the 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for four months based on his prerogative as a board certified neurologist...  and the fact that there have been some gold standard studies linking vitamin D3 deficiency and RRMS...

Treating RRMS with vitamin D3 was unheard of a few years ago...   If neurologists have connected the dots between a vitamin D3 deficiency and RRMS...  there's hope they'll do the same for a vitamin D3 deficiency and cluster headache...

BTW...  I've a friend and fellow shipmate I've known for nearly 40 years who's wife has RRMS...  They were exited that she was starting on copaxone (glatiramer)...  Unfortunately, the results were minimal and disappointing... 

I told them about the anti-inflammatory regimen and sent them a copy of a study of RRMS patients taking vitamin D3 to control this disorder...  His wife has been taking 20,000 to 30,000 IU/day vitamin D3 since March of 2011.  She walks just fine, has only an occasional ache and pain... and no major relapses...

A major gold standard study of RRMS patients using vitamin D3 in Finland concluded the relapse-free zone was a serum 25(OH)D concentration above 50 ng/mL...  Sound familiar?

I've spent the last five months trying to interest some of the world's leading neurologists who specialize in treating patients suffering from cluster headache on the safety and efficacy of this regimen in preventing the terrible pain of our disorder...

I've done this in an attempt to elevate this method of treating cluster headaches into the current thinking among the leading neurologists treating patients with our disorder in the hope that one or more of them would take the challenge and start a clinical study on it.

Unfortunately, their response so far has been underwhelming to say the least... 

Most want to see the results of a gold standard double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial showing statistically and clinically meaningful improvements in cluster headache episodes associated with the active treatment... instead of conducting such a study 

It appears they want to see this kind of medical evidence before suggesting the lab test for 25(OH)D and followup vitamin D3 therapy to their patients should the results of this lab test come back indicating a vitamin D3 deficiency...

In short... we're stuck in a "do loop..."  Which comes first... chicken or the egg?

Meanwhile, forward thinking CH'ers like all of you who've responded with posts to this thread because you've taken the bull by the horns and given this regimen a try...  most with very exciting results...

Given the very encouraging results reported so far here at CH.com and ClusterBusters...  I think the CH'er community of sufferers in general is starting to get the word... that this regimen really works to prevent cluster headaches... for an average of 20 cents a day no less...  and it's the neurologists who are at the steep end of the learning curve...

If we continue to ask for the lab test for 25(OH)D to determine if we're vitamin D3 deficient and take information on the effectiveness of this regimen to the neurologists and primary care physicians who treat us, they might just start catching up with us... 

One or two enterprising types might also take pen in hand and publish a clinical evaluation...  When that happens... Katey bar the door...  There'll be a flood of new studies on this topic registered on clinicaltrials.gov.

Most of all we need CH'ers who have either had a favorable response to this regimen or tried it for at least 6 to 8 weeks with increased vitamin D3 doses above 10,000 IU/day take the Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Survey...  Even if you didn't experience a favorable response after 6-8 weeks or had to stop this regimen for some reason...  Take the survey...

Results from this survey will carry far more weight than a claim of effectiveness any one of us can make.

Take care bhb...  and thanks again for the wonderful replies.

Hey Malcom...  Welcome to the club...  Chronic CH'ers respond to this regimen with better than acceptable efficacy...  The odds are in your favor.

Ask your doctor for the 25(OH)D lab test.  With the results in hand, you'll have a better idea how long it might take to have a favorable response to this regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted on your progress.

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 1:29am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #785 - May 17th, 2012 at 3:32pm

Hello there

So I have switched to D3 from the D2 prescription I was given my neuro said he doesnt care what form of D I take as long as I take it.  I had 3 loading doses 50,000 once a week, about a week ago I started 10,000 D3 daily, I tried 3 pills Fishoil and had to bring it down to 2 a day, calcium 600mg with 500 D and a Multivitamin that includeds another 1,000 D, more calcium, magnesium, zinc etc. 

I have been having lighter CH's except this morning about a 8on KIP scale, should I up my doses?  I am way past when I thought my cycle would end I just want to put the beast back to sleep....

Please let me know what you think
Tammy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #786 - May 17th, 2012 at 11:15pm

Hey Tammy,

Thanks for the update and great question.  I'm glad your neurologist gave you a green light to switch to vitamin D3. 

I know the feeling that you want the attacks to stop and the beast to go back to sleep so you can get some of the same...  'Been there, done it, and have a T-shirt to prove it...

I also don't see any problem increasing your intake of vitamin D3 to 20,000 IU/day and still continue the loading dose of 50,000 IU once a week. 

You'll be using the brute force method at that point, but even a weekly intake of vitamin D3 this high is still nowhere near what some MS patients take for their disorder and well below the 280,000 IU/week that several studies have shown to be a safe sustainable dose of vitamin D3.

It's clear you're also taking the other important parts of this regimen, so given your cycle is lasting longer than normal, there may be other factors in play like a low arterial pH...  too much acid...

Try taking the calcium tablets with a glass of sugar free lemonade...  I made it fresh and used Splenda to sweeten to taste.  I also like Baja Bob's sugar free Margarita Mix... 

It's fortified with additional citric acid and strange as it may sound, this actually lowers the acid content of the lower GI tract and elevates arterial pH to the upper end of the normal range... I like Baja Bob's sugar free margarita mix with or without the tequila...  Fortunately, alcohol has never been a trigger for me..

An alkalizing and anti-inflammatory diet might help as well.  Cut out all sugars and high starch foods.  Fresh fish and chicken are great, but limit red meat to once a week.  Eat lots of colored vegetables, cheese, fruits, whole grains and nuts...

Try to eat a serving of GOMBS every day...  GOMBS stands for Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans/Berries and Seeds...  A handful of each is usually sufficient.

I make a tasty bean salad using a can of each: string beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans. I add to that a half sweet onion and three to four fresh jalapeño peppers (split in half and scrape out the seeds and placenta before slicing to cut the heat).  I also add a half a small carton of sliced baby portobello mushrooms and a couple heaping tablespoons of sunflower seeds... 

I season the mix with garlic powder, McCormick's Perfect Pinch Lemon Herb seasoning and fresh ground pepper to taste then top with a dressing of fresh squeezed lemon juice and plenty of extra virgin olive oil.

I also make a killer broccoli soup...  Half a medium head of broccoli tops and stems, half a sweet onion sliced and diced, and a half small carton of sliced baby portobello mushrooms. 

I add these to a frying pan with a couple slices of chopped bacon that's just about done, season the mix with lots of garlic powder and the lemon herb seasoning, then stir fry until the broccoli starts turning bright green... 

When the broccoli is almost done and still a bit crunchy, I add a half can of drained garbanzo beans to warm them up for a minute then dump the entire mix into a blender with a can of chicken consomme and a half cup of heavy cream. 

Blend until the lumps are gone and the consistency looks like thick pea soup. I also kick it up a notch by adding a quarter to half teaspoon of curry powder and blend again for a couple seconds...  Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh ground pepper.

The berry and seed parts of GOMBS are easy...  Make yourself a berry smoothie every morning...  Fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries and strawberries also provide the seeds...  Sweeten with Splenda if the smoothie gets too tart.  If you get hungry during the day snack on some almonds...

Hmmm...  this is starting to sound more like Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives than Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies...  but then...  we are what we are... or what we eat...  or something to that effect...

Please believe me... I'm not a health food nut...  I smoke like a chimney and enjoy my evening rum & cokes and a glass or two of wine with dinner...  but there is clearly something about eating the right food types that helps the body help itself...

You can read more about alkalizing and anti-inflammatory diets as well as the GOMBS self-healing diet at the following links:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted...  I suspect you're only a few days away from going pain free..

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #787 - May 18th, 2012 at 3:15am

Amy,

Sorry to be so slow in responding to your post...  Bumping the vitamin D3 up by another 5,000 IU/day might just do the trick to send the beast running for cover...

How are your kids doing?

Please keep us posted on the results of your 25(OH)D lab test.  I'm guessing the concentration was low when you had the blood draw...

Take care and hang in there.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #788 - May 18th, 2012 at 4:57am

An observation of sleep improvement with vitamin D supplementation led to a 2year uncontrolled trial of vitamin D supplementation in 1500 patients with neurologic complaints who also had evidence of abnormal sleep. Most patients had improvement in neurologic symptoms and sleep but only through maintaining a narrow range of 25(OH) vitamin D3 blood levels of 60-80ng/ml. Comparisons of brain regions associated with sleep-wake regulation and vitamin D target neurons in the diencephalon and several brainstem nuclei suggest direct central effects of vitamin D on sleep. We propose the hypothesis that sleep disorders have become epidemic because of widespread vitamin D deficiency. The therapeutic effects together with the anatomic-functional correspondence warrant further investigation and consideration of vitamin D in the etiology and therapy of sleep disorders.

IP Logged

Mandarb
CH.com Newbie

x0|Hutto|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #789 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:20am

Hey Batch & Everyone,

No, I haven't been to the lab yet to get my levels tested but it's something I will go do.  Do I need to get a doctor to send me there or do you generally just walk in?

My headaches have been ramping again in intesnsity and frequency in the last week or two.  Still on 20,000IU of D3 and not going to stop.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #790 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:33am

To NHS, great posting on the sleep study. I'm a 52 year old male with no other health issues except CH. I was getting used to the wake up calls 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom! Since going on the D-3 regimen, I regularly sleep through the night, waking  up only 2-3 times a WEEK to hit the head. Obviously this ranks low on the "scientific cause and effect chart", and I don't know which mechanism it's affecting. Is it deepening my sleep or actually easing the aging prostate issues?  Other....umm..."ISSUES" normally associated in men my age,  Wink   have also been corrected, which leans me towards the regimen also having a positive  affect on the prostate. So, since starting the regimen last year, I haven't had a cycle, my sleep has radically improved, and my "married life" is happier!  Crossing my fingers that THIS proves the elusive magic bullet for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #791 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:46am

Improved sleep was also one of of my first D3 experiences.  My father recently begun taking 5000 IU a day and he reports that his sleep quality is much better.

-zg

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #792 - May 18th, 2012 at 9:47am

Thank you Batch,

I will say I am a horrible eater latley,  I have been having fruit everyday with my lunch so thats a plus and I probably would eat dog poop at this point if you told me the pain would go away.  Everything with this cycle is off.  The times have switched etc., I just got to work and feel horrible because of my 6:00 wakeup call.  I have been late to work everyday for 2 weeks, I am sure they are loving that.  I have to change my mindset as well, I am at the crying stage, I had enough stage, I am sure you all know what I mean.

By the way you just made me very hungry by reading all of that Smiley  think I may have to try one of the recipes tonight

Thanks again

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #793 - May 18th, 2012 at 10:31am

Hey nhs,

Thanks for posting this abstract...  I just checked and my RSS bird dog had also picked it up in a feed from PubMed.

Great article and spot on target with respect to the optimum serum 25(OH)D concentration.  It supports what we've been saying about vitamin D3 and cluster headache all the way along...

I think their hypothesis that sleep disorders have become epidemic because of widespread vitamin D deficiency is on target and it's going to be easy to prove...

I just checked the online survey of the anti-inflammatory regimen...  Better sleep was a common theme in many of the comments about favorable side effects.

I'm working up a note to the folks at ETMC about the data in this thread on CH and a vitamin D3 deficiency...

I think we're out at the cutting edge of finding the best vitamin D3 dosing strategies needed to elevate 25(OH)D serum concentrations rapidly and safely into the optimum therapeutic range to prevent CH and maintaining them.   

Take care and thanks again for alerting us to this abstract.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 10:33am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #794 - May 18th, 2012 at 10:53am

Seed,

Here's a link to ZRT labs. 

They have two options on this page.  You can find a local provider (M.D.) to do the test and use your medical insurance or you can order it direct without a prescription for $65 and DIY at home then mail in the blood spots you collected... 

They'll send the results back to you within a couple days after receipt.  They also have an online training video that walks you through the collection process.

I keep two of their blood spot collection kits on hand...

Hey Tammy,

I know what you're going through when CH makes a wake up call to start your day then try to recover enough to go to work...  Hang in there. The frequency and severity of your CH should start dropping shortly...

Take care and keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012 at 10:54am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #795 - May 19th, 2012 at 12:49pm

Hi Batch
Not having a good time unfortunately, getting hit about 5 times a night, varies in pain up to kip 7.  Using O2 to abort, but whereas with previous episodes I could abort in 5-8 mins, now it is taking 20 at least, am using the method you have posted elsewhere on here, but can't get to hyperventilation. Unfortunately British NHS only provides 15L per min regs.  25(OH) D test was 153 nmol/ L 2 weeks ago, have been dosing at 20, 000 pday split morning and evening with appropriate co factors.  Also been loading 50000 on Sundays, will send off another test after tomorrows loading, beginning to wonder as to my safe level.  Have used delayed release melatonin  for the last 3 nights, this has increased the gap between hits later in the night and the intensity later on.

Guess I must just be patient,  Shocked. Good luck everybody

Ian

IP Logged

Susie Spouse
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Charleston, SC
Reply #796 - May 19th, 2012 at 1:51pm

Husband w/ classic cluster headaches - no doubt that 's what it looks like and acts like except for one thing.... age of onset .... 61 !! He is healthy social drinker and smoker. Started 6 weeks ago - 3-6 headaches per night - usually dusk to dawn. GP Rxed O2 - working well @ 6 lpm using nasal cannula, averts or stops HA in 5-10 minutes.

BATCH, we asked for D levels amongst all the other testing they've been doing - Result 35.2 ng/ml. He has been on your regimen for 3 weeks - I am telling him it's time to try 20,000 iu per day after loading one day w/ 50,000 iu.  Correct???  He does not want to try any heavy-duty drugs and is committed to trying the 123 Days  PF way for as long as it takes.

I have been reading here for several weeks! Thanks to all for all your help! 

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #797 - May 19th, 2012 at 4:10pm

Hey Susie,

Thanks for the post and for being such a great supporter...

Regarding age and CH...  Although I'm PF, I'm 67 and I'm still chronic...  ICHD-II notwithstanding,.. at least I was chronic the last time I did an intentional 25(OH)D stress test by stopping this regimen completely for 8 days until I got whacked... 

20,000 IU/day vitamin D3 with a weekly loading dose should work just fine as long as your husband is taking the calcium and cofactor minerals..

Given your husband's serum 25(OH)D concentration was 35.2 and he's been taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, that should place him near 50 ng/m by now on the lower solid line in the chart below.  Switching to the higher dosing strategy should shave a week off the time to reach 60 ng/mL, the lower threshold of the 60-110 ng/mL CH PF zone.

If my estimates are correct, your husband should be PF in a week give or take a day or two...

You know you don't need to have CH to start this regimen... My wife takes it and loves how it makes her feel...  She's been taking 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3 since Dec 2010 and has been completely free of her chronic migraines since then.

When your husband finally goes PF, he's going to start feeling a bit more frisky... If you start on this regimen now...    Roll Eyes

If your husband is a DIY type, print out the instructions for a redneck reservoir bag oxygen breathing system...  it will cut his abort times in half...

I posted the DIY instructions and the hyperventilation breathing techniques at the following link, reply #4:

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #798 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:21am

Hey Batch, wanted to give you some more good news about this D3 regime.

I have myriad of conditions, namely Major Depressive Disorder, myofascial pain syndrome and tension headaches.  My husband (Aubanbird) who follows your regime pushed and pushed me to at least try it since he's gone mostly PF from it.

I am VERY excited to say that since starting it (2 weeks ago), the tension headaches are completely gone.  Haven't had a single one (and I was having 3 or 4 a day!).  My chronic pain levels are down to a level that I can live and have fun with.  And the depression?  I haven't had a SINGLE symptom of it since I started.

I will be heading to the doctor next week (time for another medication sit-down discussion), so I will see if he will go ahead and order me the 25(OH)D blood text before the appointment.  I have the records from my last one, and would really like to see if there has been an increase (I was below 30 on my latest one).

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for giving both my husband and myself our lives back.

(Added note:  I just walked over 3 miles today for the first time in 7 years!!! Take THAT chronic pain!!)

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #799 - May 20th, 2012 at 3:15am

Totally sweet news!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!