Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ergotamine Inhaler? (Read 6308 times)
Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Ergotamine Inhaler?
Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:48pm

Anybody ever use one for clusters?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Ergotamine Inhaler?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 8:00pm

I used to use the oral cafergot in combo with my oxygen. I know some used to use the suppositories. hadn't heard of an inhaler version!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 8:28pm

There's a delivery method for dihydroergotamine-45 where you sniff it up into your nasal cavity. It's called Migranal.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 7:12am

I used the cafergot inhaler many years ago.  Worked well BUT was never sure how much medicine was inside and would run out unexpectedly.  Guess it would be ok if they started you out with two inhalers so you always had a backup.

Addition:  Works well as far as cafergot goes.  Not as fast to work as O2 or the triptan drugs.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011 at 7:49am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 9:28am

It was my treatment for several years. The supply became so unstable (being displaced by better abortives which were coming on the market) that I haven't asked if it's even available now.

If available, it would not be high on my list anymore because, even when used with the best technique, it's effectiveness was only so-so.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 8:17am

I have both, the DHE-45 Migranal nasal spray and the trex injectables. Migranal does work for me (not terribly fast, but reliably) and can put off the hits for about 48 hours after taking it. It is more "public use friendly" than imitrex. Nobody blinks when I take out a vial, prepare it and use it. They just think it's nose spray. The last time I checked the survey results on the left not many had good experiences with it, but I have. We're all different. I'd say it's worth a try if your doc wants to go that route. I also responded well to DHE-45 IV when brought to the emergency room with a 4 hour KIP 10 a couple of years ago. Hope it works for you. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 12:13pm

We are now talking about two different products. "Ergomar" inhaler is not DHE-45.

Some of these "kids" are too young to know what the good old days were like!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 12:28pm

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

That's the first time I've been called a "kid" since I turned 50 a couple of months ago.

Thank you, Bob.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 12:48pm

Think I'm going to ask my Doc about both of them! Have people had better luck with one versus the other?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:26pm

Some of these "kids" are too young to know what the good old days were like

Yeah, when the best they had to offer us was cafergot oral or suppositories....cutting edge technology! Grin

If you have the option the imitrex injectables ar the fastest abort I've ever used. Oxygen is a close second.

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 2:57pm

Just so you know, Imitrex (sumatriptan) is also available in snort form.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:07pm

Since you appear to be the "new kid on the block", let me suggest:

1. PDF file, below.
2. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

3. And, a good overall introduction to CH, including treatments:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
This outfit offers a number of titles, each covering a separate medical condition.  Good, Written in non-technical language. Broad coverage of CH--causes, treatments, etc. Worth exploring the sample pages.
------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

[MEDIFOCUS title is newest and easy to read.]
 ====

Ergotamine products are one of the least effective abortives available today. At one time, a mainstay, but not where to begin treatment today.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:14pm by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:16pm

Please tell us where you live. Follow the next line to a message which will guide you.

Cluster Headache Help and Support › Getting to Know Ya › Newbies, Help us...help you

You can add your location by editing your profile. CP Member --> profile

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 12:59pm

I've had every type of triptan know to man, snorts, shots, under the tongue....My real issue is that I don't want to take any more triptans!   I'll take them if I have no other option, but seems like the more I take, the more headaches I get.  Even then, I feel like they are great when I need them, but they just send me into a triptan spiral, causing rebounds after rebounds until I blow my mind open with hallucinogens.  I'm young enough that I have not tried any ergot meds and wonder if they will give the same sort of rebounds.  I know many people feel that they are not as effective, but if they didn't have the same rebound effect I think they might be worth it. 
BTW---I live in the Northeast of the good ole USA, why?
Another BTW---I'm a newbie to the board, but not to the clusters...  Been dealing with them for the past 12 years, at least 6-7 of them chronic.  Done a lot of research through the years....Only thing that has given me non-rebound relief is hallucinogens...

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Ricardo wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 12:59pm:
My real issue is that I don't want to take any more triptans!

You've not mentioned using oxygen to abort CHs. Have you tried it with a non-rebreather mask at a high flow rate?

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:15pm

Tried oxygen a bunch of times, never worked.  Only convinced I got it the right way once in the ER, but I was at about the worst I've ever been...Seemed like it at least stopped me from passing out (although that might have been a blessing) but the little help it seemed to do stopped as soon as the O2 was done.  (Not convinced that it wasn't placebo)  On the other hand, I was reading on the board someone saying that O2 only helped their NIGHT time headaches, which I have not tried...Figure I might as well ask the doc to try again!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:16pm

We always ask what area people live in as it tells us how available different treatments are. oxygen is almost impossible to get in the UK but relatively easy here. Melatonin is OTC in the states, but prescription only in Europe! So it helps us help you a bit more.

If you haven't tried the 02 route, do give it a look. Most of our "clusterbusters" sisters and brothers use the 02 as an abort as it's one of the few things they can use while they detox before starting the Clusterbuster routine.

Joe

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:24pm

Ah!, Ricardo: Ask the right question and get the right answer.

Alternative to triptans--something which has worked very well for several of us here:

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:50pm

Wow Bob---You're the man!  An abortive that can work within 20 min?  You can even mix it with triptans if it doesn't work!  Looks like it's cheap too!  This seems like one of the less scary anti-psychotics as it is, some bad side effects like weight gain and blood sugar problems, but looks like those are mostly problems for people taking it everyday.  Definitely gonna do some more research into it and ask the doc.... Smiley

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 2:31pm

Ricardo wrote on Feb 26th, 2011 at 1:50pm:
An abortive that can work within 20 min?  You can even mix it with triptans if it doesn't work!  Looks like it's cheap too!

Sounds like oxygen to me, although 20 minutes is a very, very long abort time.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm

Ricardo, I was typing too quickly and neglected to mention:

The abstract covered a few people. Since then, this med has started to appear in lists of recommended treaments for CH, i.e., the experience is consistent with this brief report.

IF it works for you, there are no reports of the headache redeveloping after a time. My personal experience: headache cleared with such speed that it's not extreme to say the experience was like flipping a light switch. And no residual pain at any level.

Convenience, being a pill; less expensive compared to Imitrex injection (about $3/pill). And, the doc can give you a sample (free) and you will know with 1-3 uses whether it's effective for you.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!