Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tonic Water, Quinine and Grapefruit Juice (Read 8499 times)
K-MAN
CH.com Junior

x1|Dallas|USA|usa|285|243|TX,Texas
Tonic Water, Quinine and Grapefruit Juice
Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:52am

Quick background:  Episodic clusters for 25 or so years.  One or two cycles/year.  Using oxygen and Zomig as abortive treatment.  Am currently at the peak of a cycle where I get hit 2 or 3 times a day, and always at night at 4am.

Was looking for something fizzy and non-alcoholic to drink the other night with dinner, and all I had was grapefruit juice and tonic water in the fridge.  I mixed the two, enjoyed, made another, drank it and went to bed afterward.  Slept like a rock for the first time in weeks with no pain.

Thought that was a freak coincidence but tried the exact same thing last night, and no pain.  I remember my swim coach telling me to drink tonic water with quinine before a workout to avoid muscle cramps, so maybe this has an effect.  Grapefruit juice tends to react with all kinds of things, so maybe it was the combo.  I have no idea, but thought I would pass this info along.

Having had clusters for so many years, there is no magic bullet.  Things that worked in previous years don't necessarily work this time.  Of course this could all be total coincidence, but I'll be drinking my grapefruit/quinine concoction again tonight anyway.  Two pain-free nights is nothing to ignore at this stage in the cycle. 

Just remember though that you're not supposed to have grapefruit if you're on calcium channel blockers as a preventative.  From what I understand that could be dangerous.  Please check for interactions before you try anything.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Tonic Water, Quinine and Grapefruit Juice
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:18am

I used Batch's PH altering supplement to get me thru a nasty high point in my last cycle. It uses Magnesium, Vitamin D with Calcium, and Zinc, washed down with fresh lemonade. It alters your PH levels making you less succeptible to attacks. I wonder if you're altering your PH levels with the grapefruit?

I'm with you, if it works, keep doing it until it don't work! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:17pm

Do not use grapefruit juice and verapamil!

It can cause a pretty severe interaction.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Always take note of instructions and warnings on your medication.

IP Logged

K-MAN
CH.com Junior

x1|Dallas|USA|usa|285|243|TX,Texas
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 11:06am

Tried it again for the 3rd night in a row, and I did sleep well again.  Got hit with a Kip 3 this morning at 5am, so relatively minor.  Hit it with oxygen and went about my morning.  Maybe there's something to this, but definitely inconclusive at this point.

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 12:29pm

K-man,
Hey, I know about Grapefruit and it's interactions with medications.  But, your tonic water idea got me wanting to try a good quality tonic water as an alternative to my usual nightly beer or wine since those will trigger me.  Found Fever Tree brand and wow! really good but expensive. 

But, really interesting is that I was feeling somewhat muscular achy in my neck and shoulders and it helped alleviate that issue for a while so maybe your Coach has a point. And I did read quinine has some analgesic and anti-inflamatory properties.

So I found a recipe to make my own tonic water.  If you or anyone want to give it a try (I've always been willing and ready to make my own stuff in the kitchen) here's probably the best (simplest) recipe I could find.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!