Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New sufferer/site member from Indiana-HOWDY ALL!! (Read 3935 times)
b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

New sufferer/site member from Indiana-HOWDY ALL!!
Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:08pm

first, thank you all so very much for your time and effort in putting this site together.  truly amazing stuff. thank you.

i am a 34yr old male from ft. wayne, IN

61 days ago i had a headache.  but more intense than anything i have ever experienced.
im pretty sure you guys know the rest of the story.  they didnt quit.  then 3-4 a day.  then more.  4 doctors, a pharmacy in my kitchen, and a neurosurgeon later i got referred to the cleveland clinic.  this past friday i saw dr. stewart tepper and the man is my hero.... well all of you folks are my heroes as well Smiley

it took him all of about 5 minutes to add 2 + 2 and also discover my horners.  i was relieved to finally have answers.  for those of you that have suffered the average 6.6 years or whatever it is before being diagnosed my heart sincerely goes out to you.  you have more inner strength than i do for certain.

anyways.... oxygen is better than sliced bread!!
i like air.

dr. tepper prescribed me to 160mg of verapamil 3x daily and also 500mg of depakote 2x/day.

i have the sumatriptan injection kit and have had to use it once thus far.  it definitely worked for me, but left me feeling REAL BAD.  luckily i was able to sleep immediately after the injection.

anyways........ back to the oxygen thing.  who would have known? i sure didn't. 

i feel SO fortunate for the first time in the last 61 days.  not only to have found all of you, put to have found ways to put the demon back in its cage rather than letting it wander back in on its own time.

i have a wonderful wife who sits outside the bathroom door and suffers with me.  my horners creates a SUPER sensitivity to light so i have to do my dance in a dark bathroom..... towel under the door to block that little crack and all.... im sure some of you know the drill.

i am fortunate enough to have a medical supply store less than 2 miles away that will even deliver my o2 for me if needed.

truly.... in the midst of the worst experience of my life.... i feel blessed today.  now ask me again in 20 minutes how i feel though ...   Undecided

glad to be here!!
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:10pm by b.g. »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: New sufferer/site member from Indiana-HOWDY ALL!!
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 11:43pm

Welcome to the best place for CH sufferers. My CH started when I was 33 yrs old, 1988. I have been using O2 to abort for 22 yrs, and it is the one thing I'll use the rest of my life. Imitrex doesn't work for me but a large percent of CH'rs say it works 100%

I use HIGH FLOW O2, 25+lpm, and I went from aborting 60% with a standard issue NON-REBREATHER @ 15lpm to up to 97% with a O2PTI mask (available here at the CH.com store and designed by CH'rs just for CH), with a higher flow regulator.

Read around the site, especially the links on the left of this screen and you will soon know more than most Doctors. CH is such a rare illness that few Doc's know much.

By the way, I don't live very far from you, near Ann Arbor, Mi. If you have Skype on your computer just click on the Skype icon at the bottom of my post and I'll be more than happy to talk one on one. If not, be assured everyone here will help in anyway.

Becoming your own CH expert is the best way to get what you need to battle this awful beast.

Again welcome,   Don

PS, I am going to PM my ph#

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:06am

Quote:
dr. tepper prescribed me to 160mg of verapamil 3x daily and also 500mg of depakote 2x/day.

61 days ago i had a headache.  but more intense than anything i have ever experienced.
im pretty sure you guys know the rest of the story.  they didnt quit.  then 3-4 a day.  then more. 

You got oxygen and Imitrex for a backup, keep them handy for awhile  Smiley

Verapamil at 480mg/day should, in about another week, begin to decrease the number of hits per day, its a preventative.  Keep in touch with the doc about this to make sure it works for you.  Some need more, some need less. 

Depakote I'm unfamiliar with, but it just may be that the verapamil could work by itself.  By starting both together, one may be effective and the other not, and it would hard to tell which is useful, but no use taking more drugs than you need.  These are also drugs that need to be tapered off of slowly if not required with your doctor's say so.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:07am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:37am

thanks for the super warm welcome.

i will DEFINITELY look into the O2pti mask.  the one i have now is not very comfortable at all. 
of course i was hoping that the cycle would break, i will be episodic, and i wont have to deal with this for another 20 years or so.......... but i know the odds are NOT in favor of that happening.

i guess it's time to dig in my heels and prepare for the long haul.   Cry

how can it possible be that something as serious as this is not more well known?

yes, you are correct skyhawk .... i already feel as if i know more than most doctors.

once again.... i cannot thank you all enough for this site. 

what a tool.

not only has it made me feel much more secure about what is happening to me, but this site has been invaluable to my family and helping them to further understand what things are "really" like.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:46am

Sensitivity to light isn't unheard of especially because the affected eye becomes so sore all by itself, but for the most part, it isn't part of the CH syndrome. I don't think it is, anyway. I've noticed that 3-4 hits in a row, over a short period of time, will actually kick in a migraine with all of its glorious symptoms including light and sound sensitivity. By the way, glad you're finding relief! And try the energy drink kicker just before hitting the O2. I use 16oz Monster but others like Red Bull, and some swear by the little shots. We think it's the combo of taurine (1000mg) and caffeine that does the trick, but the volume of liquid and carbonation may be involved. Great news, fight the good fight, and God bless! lance

IP Logged

b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:38am

thanks for the tip. 

yeah i believe the order of bad stuff is this ........ the clusters cause the horners, and the horners causes the light sensitivity.

it is truly super human.  and it sucks.

i wear an eye patch 90% of the day.... i live in a bunker/crypt.  towels and blankets cover every window of the house.... i RARELY go outside anymore.  i will get a piercing shot through my right eye (i guess i can now call that a shadow since i feel educated) and then the right nostril begins to drip ........ and then its off to the races right after that.

it's always the right side of my face.  temple and eye socket......... but literally my teeth, jaw, ear, and hair will hurt before its all over.

how hard is it to explain that your HAIR is hurting??  Embarrassed

my mother is a migraine sufferer..... very very rare though.  maybe 2 or 3 a year and she does the caffeine thing as well.  of course when my attack first started we had no clue what was going on.  i actually thought it was a pinched nerve in my neck/back that was causing all this.  after a few chiropractor trips we realized that wasnt it.

so i also started the taurine/caffeine thing for awhile.   "rockstar".  it doesnt seem to do anything for me though.

i am really starting to feel like i have a hold on things...... it's now just a matter of when/if they go away .... the whole episodic/chronic thing is still to be figured out.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 9:10am

Headache. 2006 Sep;46(8):1246-54. 

Cluster headache: clinical presentation, lifestyle features, and medical treatment.

Schurks M, Kurth T, de Jesus J, Jonjic M, Rosskopf D, Diener HC.

Background.-Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache form with a distinct clinical presentation. Misdiagnoses and mismanagement among these patients are high. Objective.-To characterize clinical features and medical treatment in patients with CH. Methods.-We established a cohort of 246 clinic-based and non-clinic-based CH patients. The diagnosis of CH was verified according to International Headache Society (IHS) criteria. We used standardized questionnaires to assess associated factors as well as success or failure of treatments. Results.-The majority (75.6%) was not treated before at our clinic-77.6% were males; 74.8% had episodic CH, 16.7% had chronic CH, in the remaining patients, the periodicity was undetermined because they were newly diagnosed. Cranial autonomic features were present in 98.8%, nausea and vomiting in 27.8%, and PHOTOPHOBIA or PHONOPHOBIA in 61.2% of CH patients. Most (67.9%) reported restlessness during attacks and 23% a typical migrainous aura preceding the attacks. The rate of current smoking was high (65.9%). Half of the patients reported that alcohol (red wine in 70%) triggered CH attacks. Eighty-seven percent reported the use of drugs of first choice (triptans 77.6%, oxygen 71.1%) with sumatriptan subcutaneous injection being the most effective drug for acute therapy (81.2%). The most frequently used preventive medications were verapamil (70.3%) and glucocorticoids (57.7%) with equally high effectiveness. Conclusions.-Apart from the IHS criteria additional features like nausea/vomiting and migrainous aura may guide the diagnosis of CH. A large number of CH patients do not receive adequate treatments. (Headache 2006;46:1246-1254).

PMID: 16942468 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:34am

thanks bob!

also, and im sure i could probably ask this somewhere else on the site, but does anyone know a bit about insurance and how this is going to work out for me with the 02?

i am currently using 1-2 "E" tanks per day and although i have 5 tanks and a company who delivers..... i do not EVER want to be without o2 again.

can i just request a large tank for home, or would that normally be something that i must take care of on my own?

insurance specific?  air company specific?
it's the apria health company and united healthcare if that means anything to anyone.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:36am by b.g. »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:43pm

Max them out as long as there is little out of pocket.

Potter

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 3:54pm

Hello there, welcome to the site. Your insurance question will vary by company and your specific plan. We have Cigna Open Access Plus. Last year we had PPO-type coverage and the O2 was covered at 100%. This year our plan changed to indemnity (you know, company cutting costs) with a $5000 deductible. O2 not covered. That being said, I have 6 tanks in the garage and my dear husband is not even on cycle. But I won't be caught without it.

He uses a demand regulator instead of mask. watching him, he takes in a big inhale, and holds it for a long time, then exhales, and does it over. His tanks last him a long time that way. Something to consider and I've seen them on the Linde page or somewhere. If you need a picture let me know.  Oh the tanks we have are E's. You can get an M if you want, and also maybe an E or something to have portable too.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 5:38pm

I'm one the 20-30% that get light and sound sensitivity with CH attacks.

Apria was my O2 provider for 10 yrs and they are a good co. They will even set you up with O2 in other States, if needed. If your Insurance covers the O2 at all, it should only take a call to them to see if you can get a large home tank. They may need approval from your Doc.

Be sure to keep the E-tanks too for travel.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 7:18am

thanks for the replies folks.

yeah the insurance covers everything, and i have already met my deductible and out-of-pocket max for the year so i should be good to go.

went ahead and called apria last night and they said if i need an "m" tank they will bring one out.  and i can keep the "e" tanks for travel. 

just praying that the cycle ends soon ......... it's been rough on all of us Sad
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2011 at 7:19am by b.g. »  

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:46am

Dr. Tepper knows his stuff.  You're fortunate to have landed with him.

You'll have a great experience in Nashville.  Dr. Peter Goadsby will be speaking.  Check him out...you'll be impressed.  Also BobW from Clusterbusters will be presenting on the BOL research....very promising.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!