Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Site (Read 7555 times)
Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
New to Site
May 9th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Greetings everyone.

First off, I want to thank all the people of this site for the wealth of knowledge that it has provided both me and my husband.  He found this site a little over a week ago, and it has changed our lives.

My husband has suffered from this beastly problem for over 10 years now.  We recently received an official diagnosis a little over a month ago.

A little background:  My husband (he's introduced himself as Aubanbird) and I have been married for almost 3 years now.  When we were dating, he warned me that he suffered from severe headaches, but did not elaborate.  It has taken him most of the time we've been married to work up the courage to tell me the truth concerning these "severe headaches."  Having seen him deal with several kip 6-7's, I have to say that I am VERY proud of his courage to step forward and include me in his private world as a CH sufferer.  We are starting the long road towards a working preventive and abortive medication regime with his neurologist.

I know that there is nothing I can do during an attack, and very little I can do before/after one.  But it has been hard dealing with this alone; I really did begin to think that I was the only spouse out there that was going through this.  On this site, I have learned I was very very wrong!  It has been a tremendous help mentally and emotionally knowing that I am not alone and that if I ever needed the support, there are people here who can understand EXACTLY where I'm coming from.

I think the biggest thing I've had to face is the explanation to friends and family.  His and my family seem to believe if he just slept a little bit more, or cut out the coffee/energy drinks, he'd be fine and these monster headaches would leave him alone. (if only!)

To say the road thus far has been easy is laughable.  There were times, before I knew what was going on, that I would swear I had married Mr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde!  One minute he was sweet, and the next, he was nearly raging at what seemed like silly things.  I have since learned that this is how he deals with his low kip level hits...focus on something other than the pain.  As a mother of one and Auban's wife, it is hard on me to not be able to "fix" this problem, this pain that he is having.  But I'm slowly learning, through conversations with him, that there are a TON of ways I can actually help him.  Like, when he heads to the bedroom, making sure the essentials are all there for him within reach (the red bull or starbucks, the ice packs, and the cd player blasting his favorite bands).  After wards, I tend to baby him, with letting him rest off the after effects, keeping our daughter quiet, and a quick "I love you."  It has been interesting learning the public way to support him during a hit.  Thankfully, most times we are out, he can sign that he about to have a hit without alerting people, and I can get him to a private area before the beast decides its time for another dance round.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I thought that maybe with a little info, ya'll could help me out, later down the road, when I'm pulling my hair out in frustration.

Thanks again, and I look forward to helping support others out there, as I'm sure they will help me.

Sincerely,

Akina, mate to Aubanbird

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: New to Site
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2011 at 7:30pm

I still say that our supporters suffer this dread disease far worse than us sufferers do.

G'day, Akina, and welcome home.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2011 at 11:31pm

Welcome Akina! I'm glad you reached out to us on the Supporters board. Your description sounds like a story I've told too. When my husband starts his prevent regime it includes a steriod taper to lithium. Sometimes this makes him feel really obnoxious and then his personality takes on some of that (not alot, but some). It's so noticeable because the rest of the time he's such a nice lovable guy!

Sounds like you're getting your hubby what he needs. I always add an ice pack too. I have one of those bags that you throw in the freezer. It's covered neoprine or something so it doesn't "hurt" to hold the cold. I just set it by him, sometimes he uses it, sometimes not.  I make sure we always have extra O2 tanks and when we're out I usually have his imitrex in my purse.

Look forward to getting to know you both. We'll all be gathering in Nashville, TN in July - any chance you can join us? Check out the info at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Registerwhen you get a chance.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2011 at 10:30am

Hi Akina  Smiley  You don't need to apologize for the length of your post...I've posted some lengthy posts myself in the past.  We're all happy to read it and give you support.

You're not alone and like Christy you're story is very similar to what I've gone through with my husband.  He told me for years that he had migraines (which he does) but once his CH started getting really bad he came clean.  I was a Google freak researching and asking him all kinds of questions.  I'm pretty sure I annoyed the heck out of him  Cheesy

Yup when my hubby takes Prednisone he's real fun to be around.  Everything is great for the first few days...he's a bundle of energy and gets a lot done and eats us out of house and home.  Then when he starts tapering down he gets slammed and gets real cranky, but I just leave him alone. 

I do much the same that you do.  When I see him head for the bedroom I bring him an energy drink and an ice pack and back out of the room.  If he stays in there for a long time I will crack the door and peek in to see if he needs a fresh ice pack and then leave him alone again.

Don't worry about your family and friends.  Either they will come around or they won't.  You guys know what you're dealing with.  My husbands family is great and very supportive...my family not so much, but it is what it is and I can't change their way of thinking.  Most of our friends are pretty supportive.  My husbands BFF's new wife said to us that she didn't care that Phil was in pain...it was the closest I've ever come to punching someone in the face.  I went off on her and really haven't talked to her since.  I figure if she's that heartless to say something like that she's not worth my time.

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2011 at 5:44pm

Welcome to the family.
Supporting is not always easy but after reading your post you'll do just fine.

Hang in there, Sweetie...don't forget there is safety in numbers and we're always here to help.

Jackie
(wife of Blake....cluster head)

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2011 at 6:48pm

God Bless our supporters!  Not sure where some of us would be without y'all!

Hugs
Carol

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2011 at 8:27pm

im so glad you decided to hop on the forum!  to everyone out there,  this is one of the toughest women you will ever find.  a military spouse and a clusterhead supporter... and a mother... does it get any worse than that?
dont know where i would be without her.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2011 at 11:03am

Quote:
I think the biggest thing I've had to face is the explanation to friends and family.  His and my family seem to believe if he just slept a little bit more, or cut out the coffee/energy drinks, he'd be fine and these monster headaches would leave him alone. (if only!)

There isn't one of us who hasn't had to deal with people like these.  Not one !   Sometimes they're well-meaning and others are just downright clueless and hurtful.  Wait til you hear,"oh why don't you just go lie down and take 2 aspirin.  It's just a headache, for Gods sake."    Resist the urge to bitch-slap them.   Grin

Aubanbird...you've certainly got a keeper there.   Wink

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2011 at 1:26pm

Quote:
does it get any worse than that?

I'm sure you meant, "does it get any better than that?"

(Take it from someone who's been happily married for almost 29 years.)

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AubanBird
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

everywhere...
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2011 at 3:56pm

Well, it certainly doesn't get any better than that for me:)

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2011 at 4:44pm

AubanBird wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 3:56pm:
Well, it certainly doesn't get any better than that for me:)

Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2011 at 11:57pm

Linda-  I've just given up trying to get them to understand CHs.  I've come to understand that are saying it with the best intentions, and just tune them out.  They don't see him during attacks, I do.  Sad part is that they have seen him have low kip level ones, and basically write it off as a migraine.  I have migraines...mine make his look like a walk in a park.

I do have to say, that I'm not supporting him alone.  We are doing it together.  I have my own health issues, and when I am having problems, he is there for me.  I haven't thought twice about supporting him with his CH...It's the least I could do for all the support he has given me.  I'd rather ride out the messed up dance with the beast than walk away from it.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2011 at 12:44am

People that have never felt the pain of a CH attack can't imagine the severe pain we endure, it's physical not mental.

I've had CH for 23 yrs and I still can't imagine the pain, but I know what it feels like, and I am not faking it.

I give them a break and don't talk about it unless asked, or if they happen to see one, I apologize.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #13 - May 12th, 2011 at 6:31am

Hi Akina
You have found a fab site!!
I'm no expert..just a sufferer of CH and these are my thoughts...
Sharing with people who suffer and who support is so beneficial , in my experience when your having an attack it is a lonely scary place to be and knowing you have someone there supporting you is so comforting, but I imagine its grim for you as a supporter to watch your loved one go through an attack.
Following an attack I'm snappy and irritable and I'm probably a horrible person to be around but then I come here and borrow all the support!!... feel better and not so alone... I'm afraid I dip in here for my support as I don't have support at home.(hubby is in the "its only a headache "camp and not willing to consider learning about the demon)

To all you supporter... I take my hat off to you  Smiley

If you see something you want.. reach out and grab it with both hands.....just watch out you dont get a smack in the chops for grabbing the wrong thing!!!
suzieq6343  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2011 at 10:10am

So Akina sounds like you're on a good role supporting your man. And you mentioned what you do when he's getting hit. Does he have any "prevent" strategy while on cycle?  My husband starts a prednisone taper, while ramping up lithium (getting blood tests done on the way to ensure against toxicity). The lithium helps block some of the CH's, of course the trick is knowing when to taper off. He's also been using Batch's PH balancing ideas with the supplements and fresh lemonade. His new neuro worked with him on the coming off lithium after he'd been ch free for a month (I think). We had to make this chart of what dosages each day for the lithium in the taper, which lasted 4-5 weeks I think. It worked, when he came off totally he didn't get hit again.

It sure helps us to continue to live life while on cycle. We keep the O2 with us and I generally have an imitrex shot in my purse if needed.

In fact, Joe is just finishing a cross-country bicycle ride. He left in March and is just now into Florida, finishing Monday. Fortunately he is off-cycle but he was prepared with all his meds, supplements and imitrex. At worst I would have had to arrange for o2 and send his regulator. Fortunately we didn't have to do that. (Although I know we had plenty of ch buddies along the way that would have helped if needed).

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:14am

No, we do not have really anything in place yet.  He just started working with a neurologist about a month ago.  His current dosage is 120 mg of Verapamil a day.  We have also started Batch's supplement idea and are having great results from it.  My husband is chronic so even a day without a hit is considered a party day.  As I type we have had no major hits in three days, with only a few shadows here and there.  We will be discussing continuing this with his neurologist next week.

I have to say that I am amazed by the support from everyone here.  I have never seen a community rally behind people quite like all of you have.  It has made my life easier knowing that I am not alone in my thoughts and that if I have a bad day, everyone here would pay me on my hand, let me have a pity party, then encourage me to continue.  I don't think y'all will ever know how much that means to me.

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2011 at 9:49pm

Ok, I will bow down to the wonderfulness that is Batch.  His PF regime of Vitamin D3 and fish oil has DRAMATICALLY improved Bird's condition.  Bird has been taking it for about a week now, and I must say I am COMPLETELY amazed at it.  He went from having over 7 hits a day, everyday, to down to just 2 during the first couple of days.  Then today, he's been PF all day! (*knocks on wood for added luck*)

Not only has he cleaned up the house, done the dishes, taken care of all the animals, and done some laundry, he even *gasp* endured shopping with me!  That was the biggest thing for me, since he really doesn't like being out in public in the off chance he'll have a hit.

When Bird has to go overseas for his time in the sandboxes, this is one thing I will NOT let him run out of!  Thank you Batch, may God continue to bless you as you bless other CH sufferers!

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2011 at 10:29pm

Late in joining the support party and for that I apologize. 

Akina dear, you have heard from the best supporters out there.  I personally know these supporters, and ONLY because they live the same CH Life as I do.  Jackie, Christy, Jen, Ruthie (she never pipes up here, tho) and so many more.  Without my groom having CH I never would have met the most fabulous friends in the world.  See?  There IS an upside to the beast.

The downside is of course, the BEAST.  But we can arm our loved ones with the best information and preventatives and treatments available - and we can fight for them.  And that's what we ALL do.  You're never alone now that you've found us.

"The wonderfulness that is Batch" - what a lovely tribute to a champion of CH.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #18 - May 15th, 2011 at 12:48am

Akina wrote on May 14th, 2011 at 9:49pm:
Not only has he cleaned up the house, done the dishes, taken care of all the animals, and done some laundry, he even *gasp* endured shopping with me!

Going shopping? Hmm, that sounds like a seriously dangerous side effect!!!

Being serious, that's great news.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #19 - May 18th, 2011 at 9:20am

Akina that is such great news! Joe's used Batch's ph regimen on his last cycle too and we felt it made a difference.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #20 - May 18th, 2011 at 11:53am

Fantastic news Akina...I'm doin' the happy dance for ya'll.

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #21 - May 20th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Just a quick update for everyone on Auban:

We saw the neurologist on Wednesday and to say I was impressed with her is an understatement.  We forgot to print out Batch's PF thread, but when we described the dosage and results from it, she told us "Hold on", and then proceeded to check the pharmacy's list to see if they listed the vitamin D3 and fish oil as able to be prescribed.  Well, we struck out on the D3, but they did have fish oil!  She also gave him the Trex injections, Maxalt dissolvables, and increased the dosage of his Verapmil. 

As for his treatment schedule, he is to continue Batch's regiment, as it seems to be working for him.  IF he has a hit though, he was told to immediately start back on the Verapamil...which I understand because she isn't used to doing things the herbal/supplement way, and only goes by what studies she has seen.

Last update is that hubby has been trying to convince his best friend that his headaches are actually very painful.  She is of the "it can't hurt THAT bad," crowd, but what really hurts me is that she keeps telling him that a pain scale (he's described the KIP scale to her) can't be used for everyone.  He's tried explaining that it's not based on the level of pain you are having, but on what you are doing during said pain, but she just dismisses it.  It pisses me off that this supposed best bud of his would disregard what he says so coldly...grrr!

Anywho, that's all I have to update this time...thanks again for the support everyone!

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2011 at 11:39pm

Sounds like things are going well for you guys.  I'm glad that you found a great neuro right away. 

Glad to hear Batch's deal is working out for Auban.  I'm going to have my hubby start on it as well.  So many seem to be having success with it.

Sorry the BFF is giving him a hard time.  You guys know what you're dealing with is very real, so try not to let it bother you.  We've all been through that with people and it sucks, but it is what it is.  Like Linda said earlier in this thread....resist the urge to bitch slap them.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #23 - May 21st, 2011 at 5:22pm

Mosaicwench wrote on May 14th, 2011 at 10:29pm:
Late in joining the support party and for that I apologize. 

Akina dear, you have heard from the best supporters out there.  I personally know these supporters, and ONLY because they live the same CH Life as I do.  Jackie, Christy, Jen, Ruthie (she never pipes up here, tho) and so many more.  Without my groom having CH I never would have met the most fabulous friends in the world.  See?  There IS an upside to the beast.

The downside is of course, the BEAST.  But we can arm our loved ones with the best information and preventatives and treatments available - and we can fight for them.  And that's what we ALL do.  You're never alone now that you've found us.

"The wonderfulness that is Batch" - what a lovely tribute to a champion of CH.

Akina you have just heard from another of the best!  I am a sufferer with a great supporter who doesn't want to face this board because of what she has had to face with me for years and years.  What Pat just said is to true.  Had I not had CH I also would not have met some of the best friends I'll ever have.  With many of them I have nothing in common except CH, but that is enough.  What a bond we  have forged because of this malady.  I would not give it up to lose CH.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!