Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches in Pregnancy (Read 9860 times)
Ashly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster Headaches in Pregnancy
Aug 3rd, 2011 at 7:52pm

Just wanted to put some info out there to say Cluster Headaches ARE possible during pregnancy. I've had 2 doctors over the years tell me I didn't have CH because 1) I'm not a 40 year old man or 2) that CH typically go away during pregnancy.

It's important to remember everyone's bodies are different and respond differently to different things. I've had CH for 10 years and am now 31. My cycles typically last 4 weeks with 2 headaches a day at the peak.  After the cycle ends they stay gone for 1-2 years.

I recently became pregnant and at 7 weeks I started a CH cycle. I'm three weeks into the cycle and I'm having up to 8 a day (mostly at night- which is not good for newly pregnant momma). I'm assuming my raging hormones have triggered this intense cycle. And just in case anyone out there needs the info, because I've had to scrape and fight for it, CH CAN OCCUR during pregnancy. Pain meds do not work. My doc kept prescribing me high powered pain meds, which we all know do not affect CH. He blew me off when I asked for O2. Luckily, I had a family member who had access to some, so I tried the 02 and it worked fantastically. I called the doc back to let him know what I was doing and it was the only thing that works for me, and he said it was perfectly safe for baby.

Since this info wasn't out there for me, I just wanted to put it out there in case someone else finds themselves in this unfortunate and excruciating situation!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Cluster Headaches in Pregnancy
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 8:59pm

Welcome to the board Ashley, what a beautiful first post! Way to be your own best advocate and push for the oxygen. Please stick around, we can use people with your style around here! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 9:05pm

Quote:
...CH typically go away during pregnancy.

The operative word being "typically."

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jenny G
CH.com Junior

Steamboat Springs, CO
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 11:18pm

I too had CH during pregnancy. I am so sorry you have to endure them during pregnancy of all things. Oxygen will be your best friend.

Just think though.. labor will feel like a breeze compared to CH!
Pain Free wishes sent your way!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:05am

Ashley,

I'll echo Joe's welcome aboard CH.com and also thank you for the wonderful post on the use of oxygen therapy during pregnancy as a safe and effective acute treatment. 

Please check your PM inbox by clicking on the bold "
1 new message
" in the upper left corner of this screen.  I've sent you some additional information of oxygen therapy that may be helpful.

Take care and thanks again for joining us at CH.com.  I look forward to more posts from you.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

cristeenam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

las vegas, nevada
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 9:52pm

I also had a cycle with two out of my three pregnancies. At the time I still had no idea what was wrong with me. Thank you for sharing your story, I know it would have helped me a lot. And Jen is right, labor, even all natural us nothing compared to a 45 minute kip 10! Good luck and congratulations!

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 7:55pm

You have my heart felt sympathy that you are experiencing these while pregant, I can't even fathom what that must be like. Honestly, CH played a role in my decision not to get pregnant again.

Take care of yourself

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

x0|Atlanta||usa|421|220|GA,Georgia
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 9:11am

Ashley, first off congrats on the pregnancy!  I hope that it goes well and that you are as CH pain free as possible.

I had them with my first pregnancy (23 years ago) and they were NO fun. But my OB worked closely with my neuro and they came up with a plan that was safe for me and the baby for the various trimesters.  You might want to try that.

You are doing what is NEEDED as an advocate for both you and the baby.  CONGRATS!

Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

Divinedee077
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:35am

I have had cluster headaches since I was 16 years old. I am now 29 and pregnant for the first time; I experienced lots of CH attacks from about week 7 until week 15. It got so bad, my neurologist & pcp had to work together to finally get me O2 for both home and my office. Insurance wouldn't pay for it so I was connected with a foundation at the hospital who was more than willing to cover my costs. It was a huge blessing! I still have and use O2 even at 27 weeks but thankfully, only getting CH occasionally compared with more than 5 daily for over 2 months during this pregnancy.

I'm glad you advocated for your own O2 treatment because most doctors really just don't know how to work around insurance with CH not being listed as an approved diagnosis for O2 coverage. Hopefully with more research, that would change.

Although, I've seen a few comments about labor being a breeze and much less painful than CH. I've dreaded labor as I keep thinking I may experience an attack while in labor but hoping for the best. Still have 13 weeks to go and I'm just thankful the daily cluster headaches have stopped.

I'm interested to know how it all turned out for you as you got closer to delivery. Did you experience any CH interference during labor?
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:42am by Divinedee077 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:52am

Hey Dee,

Even though you're not having cluster headaches daily, you should talk with your OB about a lab test of your 25(OH)D and about taking at least 6400 IU/day vitamin D3 along with your other prenatal vitamins and minerals.  Taking 10,000 IU/day of vitamin D3 is also very safe for you and thumper.  It will also help prevent future CH when they're most unwanted.

Vitamin D3 is very important during pregnancy and while breastfeeding for you and the baby.  Grassrootshealth has an excellent program and track record on expectant mothers taking vitamin D3 during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.  See the following link.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We've also had several expectant mothers here at CH.com taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day to prevent cluster headache throughout pregnancy and while breastfeeding.  You can download a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol at the following link.  Take a copy along to discuss with your OB.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've had my daughter on this regimen taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the vitamin D3 cofactors through both of her pregnancies and have two very healthy grand kids for proof.  Both pregnancies and births were flawless... and she doesn't have CH.  She also continued this regimen through breastfeeding and stays on it year round.

Take care and please keep us posted... particularly with the results of your 25(OH)D lab test if you want to share that with us.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2017 at 8:00am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Bally
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 1:09pm

So glad I found this! I've been trying to get informed before my husband and I try to conceive, so its such a relief to know others have gone through it!

On a side note, my research lead me to a lot of doula websites and I've found that doulas actually have a lot of great ways for managing pain when meds won't work or can't be used (like during a CH attack). The techniques aren't enough to make an attack go away, but they can still provide some comfort.

My current favorite is squeezing a hard tooth comb in my hand to try and disturb the pain pathways. It gives me some of the same relief of banging my head, but without scaring the people around me! Wink

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:49pm

The comb method you describe is where you're using distraction to divert your concentration away from the CH pain to something else. This can be quite effective for many people where other methods aren't working too well or their side effects are causing unacceptable issues.

There are a lot of books and websites which cover dealing with chronic pain which include lots of non-drug related approaches which you might benefit from and avoid issues from banging your head and scaring people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!