Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bless all the supporters (Read 4584 times)
B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Bless all the supporters
Aug 19th, 2011 at 10:19pm

I lurked for years, but the lovely Mrs. Baer, years ago really dug in and researched this site that ultimately helped me enormously.... I thank her and all of you for understanding and learning about our ailment.

Good on you all...

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Re: Bless all the supporters
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 2:02pm

This gives me hope!  I just keep researching too, in the hopes that my CHer will get on for himself.  Until then, I will read, learn, laugh, cry, pray, and try along with all the rest of you!  Glad you have found a place to go, and friends to share with Mr Baer!

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

chsbabydoll
CH.com Newbie

Stay Strong !!

Rochester NY
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:01am

Hi everyone,
Just a quick unloading of feelings here...

I sucks watching him fight this terrible pain. All I can do is be there when he needs me. He needs to be alone when he gets hit. As much as I want to sit right next to him with the hope that I somehow dull the pain, I know he needs to be alone. I busy myself getting coffee ready and quieting down the house. When I get to another room (where he can't hear me) I allow myself to cry and be pissed off that there is NOTHING I can do to make this devil go away. I told him today that I am not as strong as he is... I couldn't go through what he goes through...

He is asleep (exhausted) after this last hit. I am praying for a full nights sleep... he is trying melatonin (5mg) tonight for the first time. fingers crossed....

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 11:23am

Totally know the feeling chsbabydoll. We do a dance of our own, don't we?  Sounds like you're doing just what he needs though, the coffee, etc.  When Joe is getting hit (meaning I hear the oxygen tank clanking) I get him a redbull, an ice pack - we have one of those neoprin style freezer bags - blow him a kiss and go in the other room. Fortunately he can beat down a CH in about 5-8 minutes with the O2, so it's not a long agony. Very different from the years where his treatment was painkillers that didn't take affect until the hit was over anyways, and trying to keep 2 little ones quiet!

Here's a hug for you, sounds like you need one today.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 11:41am

Oh my...that is what I was hoping not to hear, but thought I might, reading long enough.  He thinks his pain killers work...but they seem to take so long.  (Head pain may be leaving on its own) We're working on getting off of them...but it is a long process without assistance.  Sad

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:25pm

If you think about how painkillers work - you take them, then they have to get into your blood stream to take effect. Meanwhile, the CH has come and gone.

The best CH Abortives are o2 and imitrex injections. Imitrex is expensive and most are limited on the number of shots their insurance companies will payfor each month. Some get additional relief with a nasal drop (joe did not like that).

If he hasn't effectively tried o2 yet, please pursue. I can't recall where you are located, but try to reach out to other Ch'ers in your area. Until used correctly, you have NO IDEA how good o2 works for people. 5-10 minutes versus 30-60!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 2:22pm

He has and uses imitrex when he needs it or has it.  But as a chronic...it is so hard to decide which one to abort that way.  For a while, he just kept using it for all 5 headaches a day!  Too much!!!  And now we don't have the insurance we used to.  I have been trying to talk him into trying O2 again.  I have purchased the Opti2mask already.  One of these days I will call the local welders supply and get some O2.  I am trying. I want what's best for him and what works. But he has to want it bad enough too.

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 9:00pm

Please try to understand that a lot of us, turn away from our supporters, and spurn your comfort.

That in NO WAY means we are not understanding or uncaring. It is a trait, amongst us sufferers to be alone and not have contact with anyone while going through a CH.

Deb (my wife) found this fact to be the most frustrating, but was relieved to know that it is common. Please know that it is a common trait, and it in no way lessens your importance and our feelings for you. I know it's tough to watch us deal with it, and we understand your concern and pain in feeling shut out. We simply can't have anyone around us while going through it, hard to explain even when we are doing it, we know we should allow you in, but are unable to.

To those who have not tried Oxygen, or have and failed try again. I found through trial and error what worked for me and it truly changed my life, I can not recommend it strongly enough.

Keep supporting those who suffer, even if they turn you away, read ... this forum has and will continue to help others the way it helped me.

Excuse me while I get down off my soap box now..... Embarrassed

All the best,

Baer
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2011 at 9:01pm by B.Baer »  
Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 8:07pm

It's never a problem when a sufferer "spurns" us during a hit - it's most often the nature of the beast.

We're here for the long haul and we're here to help.  The help usually comes between the hits, fine-tuning how we can help when they come.

Supporters are tough in their own right - we have to be, otherwise we'd melt down every time you do.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 11:45pm

Damn right you guys are as tough as us... Smiley

You gotta' be, and we never, ever forget it or take it for granted....

Good on ya'....

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:44pm

Us sufferers would be lost if it weren't for our spouses who take on the responsibilty of researching, making sure our 02 tanks are filled, meds. at hand, ice packs, etc.  We do NOT take them for granted believe me. 

This "spurning" isn't a big deal at all to spouses who have gone through this with us for years..but I can see how someone who was newly diagnosed and their supporter was told that he/she wants to be left alone would hurt their feelings until it was pointed out that we all feel the need to be alone.  It's a conversation that is necessary to have when the attack subsides.

Babydoll and helpless now....you're doing good.   Kiss

edited because I left out the word NOT..take them for granted.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:05pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

chsbabydoll
CH.com Newbie

Stay Strong !!

Rochester NY
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I will continue to do what I can to help him get through this cycle. I am reading every post on this entire site to try to find something he hasn't tried.  I still have no idea how he does it. We just keep going....

Debbie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!