Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Started Down A New Path (mistake?) (Read 1671 times)
Granny Arizona
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Hawarden, Iowa 51023
I Started Down A New Path (mistake?)
Aug 24th, 2011 at 8:52am

Hi Everyone... I've done what I said I'd never do.  My neurologist blew me off so I returned to my primary care doc.  She suggested my problem is probably trigeminal neuralia and I think she is closer to it than the TMJ DX'd by the neurologist. 

She started me on Tegretol with a 2 week prednisone taper.  (how awful)...  I'm also communicating with the RC seed & mushroom people.  I'm a little frightened by that idea but WHY...if I can do the Tegretol and prednisone???  Anything else should be "sweet".

Anyway.  I'm so confused and worn out I don't know what to do next.  I guess I'll see this through.  The primary doc also set me up for a contrast image MRI.  That might tell something too. 

It isn't simple or easy until you find your silver bullet! 

Be well everyone
Linda

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

x0|Atlanta||usa|421|220|GA,Georgia
Re: I Started Down A New Path (mistake?)
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 9:05am

Stay strong Linda.  Sorry you're having such a hard time.

Wishing you lots of PF days.

Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 11:26am

Hang in there,you found the right place here,read,read,re

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 12:49pm

Linda: I've just scanned all the messages you have posted here. Found myself a bit confused by your listing of a variety of theories of causation, different treatments you mention (but not clear that you are, or have, used them [ever?, for long?].

Basically, I'm sitting here, looking at this screen, and wondering what is your program for prevention and aborting attacks?

Years of participation here and reading medical literature has lead me to a fairly conservative position re. treatment of Cluster:  Using approaches with an established effectiveness and safety record; being patient while the dose/med changes which are routinely needed with Cluster are made; fair time trials of any program before making changes--these are the key elements in gaining control.

Trying the newest/latest/most novel is starting at the wrong end of the spectrum of treatments. This approach means you becoming the test subject vs. using treatments where we have good, estlished data. (The newest treatments are always waiting should the established stuff not work for you.)

The PDF file, below, is simply the latest evaluation of effectivness of meds which, if used, can guide you and your doc.

And you know that we have so much solid medical material, regularly posted. It does, however, require  a commitment to study & understand it, as you work with a doc who also understands.

I'd suggest, in addition to the other stuff posted here, that you print out this 50-pg outline from one of the better headache docs in the U.S. Much of it does not apply directly to Cluster--but, as a whole, you will find a systematic approach to treating headache. It's a blend of the specific and the global treatment philosopy--worth the time. (It's free.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2010-2011
Robbins Headache Clinic

Free, 50-page. Covers all major headache Dx and
related issues.

In a PDF file.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2011 at 9:17am by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!