Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sun/Bright lights and running as triggers (Read 7899 times)
Lior BD
CH.com Newbie

Always forgive your enemy
nothing annoys them more

Modi'in Israel
Sun/Bright lights and running as triggers
Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:39pm

I'm a bit of a newbie, but i've been CCh for a little over a year now and pretty recently i've noticed that whenever i go outside and enter the sunlight, within minutes i start to feel a headache coming on.  I've figured out that its that apparently i'm like ultra sensitive to light but not the way were i have to squint and block my eyes, more like after a few minutes were the sun is in my eyes i will feel a headache coming on and i just know it's from the sunlight.  I've actually been forced to were sunglasses EVERYWHERE i go (actually gives me a reason to were my sunglasses  Cool ) and notice with them on, that it significantly reduces how often i get these headaches and how painful they get.  By the way it isn't limited to the sun sometimes ill be on my computer or my iphone and even the brightness from those will cause headaches.  Also i had a full eye exam and everything was perfect... so i was just wondering is this just me or do have other people noticed this too?

Another thing i was just wondering... Does anyone else get headaches from overexerting themselves, mainly jogging/running/sprinting, even if its for less then 5 minutes?  Something else i've noticed and unfortunately had to give up football because of this... Angry

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Sun/Bright lights and running as triggers
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 2:15pm

The light issue is not common with Cluster but has been reported. Don't know of any way to prevent this reaction beyond what you are now doing.

Running is not the issue but elevated body temperature from any form of exertion. If it's available to you, a 1mgSL ergotamine tablet dissolved under your tongue just before the exertion will often block the development of an attack. Your druggist can advise on availabiliy.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

I Love Rockstars and CH.com!

Hawaii
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:01pm

I have the sensitivity to light also. The transition glasses are awesome. Indoors and out keeping the brightness at bay. Living in a nice dark cool cave sounds really good. As Bob pointed out keeping the body cool is key. Exertion in the summer heat is usually when my episodes start. The high desert has hot summer temps with big swings from night time.
buhrly

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 12:12am

267 CH'ers (23.54 %) out of the 1134 who took the Cluster Headache survey in December of 2008 reported bright lights and direct sunlight was a trigger for their CH.

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 7:59am

I'm one of those who so reported. I have a longer list of triggers but I wonder if, being chronic, they are not so much triggers but rather just whatever I was doing prior to another hit in a string of hits. Whatever. lance

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 12:19pm

I'm also very sensitive to bright lights.  I wear sunglasses all the time, even on rainy days, in or out of cycle.   I hate riding in a car, on a bright day, when the sun flickers in and out of the trees.  Instant trigger for me. 

Exercise is a trigger for me as well.  Well, actually it's when I stop exercising.  I'll get hit within 10 minutes of completing my work out.   Even a brisk walk will do it I'm when in high cycle.

edit to add content
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:26pm by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

bhb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

SE WISCONSIN
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 12:55pm

I've only had light bother me when it's flashing - strobe like doesn't matter how bright.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, one Billion Chinese couldn't care less.

IP Logged

Lior BD
CH.com Newbie

Always forgive your enemy
nothing annoys them more

Modi'in Israel
Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:23pm

@whimsey ya there are sometimes were i think that maybe its just a coincidence... but it happens too often and wearing sunglasses does help signaficantly.  Although i hvae noticed there are times were it (the bright lights) won't effect me at all.  So again its confusing.

@Jeannie mmhm car rides and bus rides are killers for me... kinda feel weird wearing sunglasses indoors but better than getting those headaches.  I do workout at the gym and there are times were i will get small headaches and ill just workout through it and usually after 20 minutes of working out through it, itll be completely gone. i have no idea why... but it's definitely not the same for running or even walking outdoors.

IP Logged

Ob1kanobee
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Orlando, FL
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 10:11am

I don't have any problems with bright lights myself unless it is flickering and I'm having shadows. During an attack I can stair right towards the sun or a light bulb no problem. With a migraine I couldn't do that.

I used to live in a really dark house and that effected me to some degree I think. Do any of you who are effected by light seem to stay in dark areas as much as possible, like a really dark house?

I'm just wondering how much of it is "because your body is not used to it" type stuff. I know these headaches do weird stuff to me. For instance, I can't stand watching someone smoke a cigarette without wanting to hurl when I'm in cycle let alone smell one.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:41am

I am extremely sensitive to sun/bright lights. It can trigger my clusters and migraines. Also if I get very overheated (as I'm thinking your running does).  My friends and family call my 'John Lennon' alot cause I rarely leave the house without my large, dark sunglasses which I guess reminds them of Lennon lol.  And for when I know I'm gonna be hot I carry my spray bottle stocked with ice and cold water.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:50pm

Lior BD wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:39pm:
...  Also i had a full eye exam...

talk about a hell of a trigger! I so dread going to get new glasses. The eye exam, the bright lights and the puff of air they shoot into your eye. ughh
I too wear sunglasses as much as possible.

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 9:45pm

I am definitely light sensitive , bright light when in cycle is a trigger.
Bright light during a hit is a killer.
my sunglasses are my best friend  Cool

As for not being use to bright light ,I work out side every day so that is definitely not an issue .

I find polarising sun glasses to be the best because they cut out glare making much more effective.

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 8:56am

Mottled light is often a trigger (like sunlight through trees) when I'm in cycle.

Also, I've never had exercise trigger me after only 5 minutes. It has however been one of my only triggers after about 30-40 minutes though. From May to July, any run can trigger me. I've chalked it up to the hypothalamus being dodgy in the thermoregulatory capability.

Scott

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 4:56pm

No real light sensitivity, other than always needing sunglasses, CH or not. I do find I become hypersensitive in high cycle, just about anything can irritate me, alcohol, heat, noise, going too long before eating, eating too much, interruptions when trying to get some quiet time between hits, all will bring on an attack. During marathon clusters (5+ months), the hypersensitivity extends to the medications I use, and I find I need to detox off all the drugs cause they are just making me feel "clouded up"... I revert to O2 and aspirin for about a week.
However in Low Cycle these same things are no problem. Exercise has always been a good thing for me, as long as I don't get overheated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!