Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tegretol (carbamazepine) as an abortive?? Anyone? (Read 3895 times)
Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Tegretol (carbamazepine) as an abortive?? Anyone?
Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:01am

This is my 6th cycle, they hit every 3 years.  Last year I had a bout with trigeminal neuralgia and used a drug called carbamazepine, I took the chewables as needed.  Yesterday when my unmistakable friend descended upon me, I had a few left over and I took one.. OMG IT WORKED... This morning I had to take two, but my eye only got hot, no stabbing.  My episodes are a little irregular at the beginning and I'm a little afraid to believe I've actually found something that works.  Has anyone else had success with using these chewables as an abortive?!!?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Tegretol (carbamazepine) as an abortive?? Anyone?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:10pm

I did a quick search and found several posts mentioning tegretol, most using it for TMJ and not seeing much effect on their CH with it. I'd certainly check in with the doc before I started using it regularly as an abortive for CH as further reading on it showed some potentially significant side effects.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Don't recall if you've gone this route yet, it's eliminated my use of most all other abortives, and without all the possible side effects so many meds come with. Hoping you catch a short cycle this go round.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:29pm

Tried it for phantom pain.  It's a zombie drug I wouldn't give to my dog.

Potter

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:36pm

Yeah, I tried the O2 last time.  No real effect for me.  The only thing that has worked is cafergot and sometimes a triptan, but you can't take them together! =P

I used this drug for about a month last year for trigeminal neuralgia, it worked unbelievably well!!!  The only real side effect I had was that it depleted my vitamin D, I'm taking a supplement with it this time.  The GP and Neurologist know I'm taking it as an abortive.  I'm taking a children's dose.  The chewables are 100mg, and I took 2 this am.  No stabbing, just heat.  I'm afraid to believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:49pm

How was the O2 administered?

Potter

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:55pm

I had a large tank and a rebreather mask, the O2 company set it to the drs specs.  I don't remember any more than that, this was almost 3 years ago.  The tank was empty when I returned it.  I do remember being able to keep the mask on and stay within the limits of tubing so there was some benefit, but not significant enough to say it was an effective abortive for me.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:01pm

If you had a rebreather mask, it wasn't being done properly.

You need a NON-rebreather, and the flow rate needs to be 15 liters per minute MINIMUM, preferably 25 LPM. And you need to hyperventilate with it.

Ya kinda gotta take what the doc prescribes and throw it out the window sometimes when it comes to effective O2 therapy.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:13pm

Thanks for that, if this drug stops working, I'll give it another try... I've tried everything else!! =PP  I'm so excited and nervous I don't know what to do with myself... 2 days in a row it's worked, and my face hasn't ached for the rest of the day either like it did with cafergot.  I'm afraid to believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:34pm

You haven't tried everything else.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:42pm

Yeah, well, I'm sure you're right there.  They've probably come up with a dozen new sr, ex, etc, drugs in the last 3 years that will make me crazy and do nada for me.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:52pm

Nothing beats oxygen for killing off CHs in minutes when used with a non-rebreather mask at a high flow rate and without side effects. My last one didn't last 5 minutes.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:55pm

Cendie wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:42pm:
Yeah, well, I'm sure you're right there.  They've probably come up with a dozen new sr, ex, etc, drugs in the last 3 years that will make me crazy and do nada for me.

And G-d put a few on the earth hundreds of thousands of years ago that will probably send you on your pain-free way....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:08pm

I tried to go that route last cycle.  You have to know people though and the ones I knew had a fondness for chocolate concoctions?!?

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:11pm

That's the same mask I had, the one that's in the pics, with the little holes on the side and the bag at the bottom.  No clue what the flow was though.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:38pm

Quote:
I tried to go that route last cycle.  You have to know people though and the ones I knew had a fondness for chocolate concoctions?!?

Mm-kay. I'm not sure I could even guess what that means, but I hope you continue to have success with your tegretol.

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:04pm

Cendie wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:11pm:
That's the same mask I had, the one that's in the pics, with the little holes on the side and the bag at the bottom.  No clue what the flow was though.

I don't think the O2ptimask was around when you last tried O2... could be wrong. I don't know of any insurance companies or medical supply places that supply this particular mask, you usually have to buy it yourself. The standard non-rebreather mask works, but not as well.
And the little holes on the side, if they are the holes I think you are talking about, need a flapper valve on them to keep you from sucking in air when inhaling. Last time I attempted to get a standard non-rebreather mask I could only get a mask with the flapper valve over the holes on one side only, useless, unless you manually plug the holes on the other side when inhaling, and that's a pain.
Check out the oxygen info link on the left and follow those directions carefully... the objective is to be able to hyperventilate pure oxygen only.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 7:56am

Ttnolan is right; I really doubt you had either the right kind of mask, or a high enough air flow, or even knew how to achieve the best results using O2. Not talking down to you, just trying to say that if you get these down right, you will be amazed. Especially coupling O2 with energy drinks. As for the tegretol, I have to admit it did nothing for me. I am chronic and at the time, I was getting hit non-stop every day and night 6-8 times. It sucked. Batch's O2 techniques and energy drinks, plus high doses of verapamil (I'm up to 640mg/day) have brought the beast under control and I have a life again. There is hope, and there are things to try. Make a long list of everything listed on this site and use it as a your main plan of attack. Good luck and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:43am

I'm on day 4 of about 30.  It's still working.  I had to take 3 this morning, 300mg.  I had a 100% abortive effect last night, and about 70% this morning from 200mg, and about 90% after the 3rd pill.  I'm still very, very early in this cycle but this stuff seems to be working.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!