Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cost of oxygen without insurance (Read 29422 times)
lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Cost of oxygen without insurance
Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:23am

The beast is back and this year we are without health insurance.  The oxygen really helped last year.  Anyone have any idea how much oxygen costs without insurance?  I have a feeling I am not going to like the answer but we will have to bite the bullet and do it for my husbands sanity.  I feel so bad for him.  It is the weekend now and I am guessing he will have to wait until Monday to get set up.  Thanks in advance for any answers.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Cost of oxygen without insurance
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:31am

Where are you?

Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:41am

Go the welding route. Go to any welding supply house. Tell them you have a live bait well you need to oxygenate. Hell, they probabaly won't even ask what you need it for, just don't tell them it's for human consumption, you just need a tank and a regulator.

Since you probably don't have any gear, get creative. Take a trash bag, poke a small hole in the bottom, run the line from the regulator into that hole and tape it up air tight. Gather the top of the bag in your hand, fill the bag up with 02, suck out of the top, move your mouth away to exhale, repeat. You are now the proud owner of a non re breather "bag".

As Potter asked, let us know where you live, there's a lot of people out there willing to help. No one likes seeing a CH'er hurt.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 9:25am

We are in a suburb of Pittsburgh PA

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 11:14am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I would lease an M tank of welders oxygen,  buy a regulator from harbor freight and an opti mask here.

Potter

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm

The cost for welding O2 seems to vary greatly from location to location.....here in Seagoville, Texas it cost me $150 deposit on a large cylinder with an $8 monthly rental fee and $21 a refill.  I've got the regulator Potter spoke about from Harbor Freight and I believe they're under $50 bucks........the Opti2mask is available here for $27.50.

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 2:07pm

After the initial outlay for equipment... it is VERY affordable. Refills for an M tank are in the $15-$30 range. O2ptimask is $27.50 here, regulators can be had for under $50 and tanks are in the $300-$350 range brand new. That's it.
I always encourage people to buy their own equipment as it saves rental costs and is immediately available when you need it. I used to get into these situations where I wasn't in cycle, paying rent for equipment, and would return it... only to find it a major inconvenience to get it all back once I needed it. I NEVER regretted making the initial investment.
Good luck and ask any questions you may have regarding this.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 2:17pm

Never buy the tank. Mine was 200 bucks one time lease.  If the tank needs anything it's on their dime.

potter

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 9:07pm

That's a good deal, preferred if you can find it. Otherwise I would say... never buy a medical O2 tank, nobody will fill it unless it is theirs. Welding supply is a different thing completely.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 3:10pm

I have no insurance and had to go the welders route.

Poor credit, so could not lease tank.

To purchase a large 200ft welders o2 tank cost me $335 incl tax and the tank included the 1st fill.  This is a 1x purchase.

Optimask from this website was around $31 incl shipping.  This is a 1x purchase.

I got a 0 - 60 lpm regulator from Flotec for $128 incl shipping.  Harbor Freight sells welders regulators for much less, like $35 or so.  This is a 1x purchase.

O2 refills for me are $33 incl tax.  Depending on your o2 usage, will determine your o2 refill cost.  I go through a large 200 ft o2 tank in a fast 2 or 3 days, so MY o2 cost is probably higher than others that are in low cycle.

Don't forget to add the cost of gasoline for travel to/from welders supply house and whatever you value your time to be if you need to take time off work, etc to get your o2 refilled.

Conclusion:
Overall o2 cost w/o insurance will vary by individual needs per cycle, but what I listed is MY cost without insurance.

Hope this helps you put together a budget/better understanding of costs involved for o2 without insurance.

Good Luck

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 8:30am

Well, got my answer from the medical equipment supplier.  It is going to cost us $186.78 per month.  That includes unlimited M tanks.  Only problem is they will only give us one at a time.  If we wanted 2, it would double.  We will just have to be vigilant on watching the gauge.  I didn't think that was too bad.  Generally, my husbands cycles last around 6 weeks.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:37am

That's not too bad. Do pusue the insurance company about paying for this. Show them the cost of imitrex injectables, print out the information Batch has compiled with the studies justifying the use of 02 for CH. I was with Kaiser and for many years I went out of pocket for my oxygen, until a Nurse Practitioner, who worked for the neuro, contacted member services and insisted 02 be covered. Hoping it works as well for him as it has for me.

joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Acupuncture Joe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 7:49pm

I am new to this forum.  I am seeking to get an oxygen setup in the L.A. area (El Segundo) and would appreciate any help on where to find a tank and refills.  Thanks in advance.
Joe

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:44pm

Joe,

If you have a prescription for home oxygen therapy you can usually dicker with the home oxygen providers on a cash and carry price well below what they charge medical insurance companies.  This is your least expensive option.  I'd ask for an aluminum M60 and Apria usually carries them.

If you want to go the DIY route with welder's oxygen, any good welding supply company will do...  just don't tell them how you intend to use the oxygen. 

They usually charge the replacement cost of the cylinder ~ $250 depending on the cylinder size (I suggest an M-size with 3995 liters) when you pick it up and $35 to $40 dollars to drop off the empty and pick up a fully charged cylinder.  They weigh over 70 lbs so get a cart to move it around safely.

Of course you'll need a CGA-540 0-15 or 0-25 liter/minute medical oxygen regulator or you can make do nicely with a welder's O2 regulator...  Harbor Freight Tools sells a good welder's O2 regulator for $35 to $45.

If you want a smaller cylinder as a roadie or for work, you'll need a transfiller adapter with a CGA-540 fitting on one end and a CGA-870 fitting on the other end.  These run around $99 to $200.  See the following link:

Finally, you'll need a good oxygen mask and the CH.com store tab at the left of this page has just what you need.

Your final alternative is to start the anti-inflammatory regimen...  The odds are you're vitamin D3 deficient.  83% of the CH'ers who start this regimen experience a significant reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of their CH.  60% experience a lasting pain free response.

See the following link for details:

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!