Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 241346 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Regimen and Survey
Reply #100 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:06pm

Hey TeeJ,

It's great to hear you've got your GP involved.  That's important.

Your latest lab result appears to be right on the 25(OH)D response curve for a 10,000 IU/day dose of vitamin D3.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As the target 25(OH)D serum concentration where the majority of CH'ers remain pain free is around 85 ng/mL and the rate of increase slows at higher concentrations, I'd take a 50,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 once a week on top of your regular dose to speed up the process.  That should help eliminate the shadows. 

Two to three weeks on this dosing schedule should be sufficient.  Then you can skip the loading dose and stick with the maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day.  Ask for the 25(OH)D lab test again after a month.  Keep your GP in the loop.

Denim,

What form of magnesium are you taking and how much are you taking? 

If you're taking magnesium oxide which can result in osmotic diarrhea at higher doses, you might want to consider switching to magnesium malate, magnesium glycinate or magnesium citrate if you haven't already done so. 

These three magnesium salts have a much higher bioavailability and lower incidence of osmotic diarrhea.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:12pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #101 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:13pm

Batch - I'll try the 50k loading dose the next three weeks and see how it goes.

Denim,

Like Batch said - try the citrate if you can for MG - Also try to take it with food - I only take the Calcium before I eat with OJ as Batch has suggested - everything else I take with food and have no stomach issues.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:16pm by TeeJ2379 »  

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

Denim101
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #102 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:14pm

Thanks Batch! I"m taking the -oxide, so I'll go ahead and make the switch.

IP Logged

roland88
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #103 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 1:58am

Hi Gang,

I feel I can post here now with having some data on my D3 levels.

I am in my 4th bout of CH, each time the bout is a little longer with the last one being 6 weeks.

I'm in my 3rd week, exactly, of this round and started the D3 regime 8 days ago. 2 days ago I also picked up a bad flu, my worst ever with one night of fever and chills - just couldn't get warm, then add that to the CH has made everything close to unbearable.

I've been taking up to 4 20mg Imigran Nasal sprays a day as the pain level is unbearable. I often try to sit through them as the Imigran is so expensive, but mostly I'm not strong enough to suffer any more. Last Sunday I sat through one and spent 2 hours rolling around on the grass in the back yard with my wife begging me to take the spray. I did in the end and it was over in 5 minutes.

The CH's are worse as the day rolls along, occurring at 11.30PM, 4.00AM, 10.00AM, 3.00PM and 7.30PM - as regular as clockwork. I often wake up with a minor one that I sit through. I can also sit through the one at 10.00AM, but then it puts the cycle out of sync and I'll end up with another at 1.30PM.

Over the last 3 weeks I have gone from 3 CH a day to 6 a day. I f I was to critique the D3 regime, I would say that it has made it worse. I'm not tolerating the Magnesium very well and it makes me nauseous and as noted on the 10/7/2013 - I woke up at 12.30AM with a CH, took the Imigran Nasal Spray and was overwhelmed with being sick, rushed to the toilet and danced between face and butt in the bowl as I threw up and lost it from the rear at the same time.

Today's trip to the doctor had me seeking out Veperamil for the first time, I just can't take the headaches any longer. I will still continue the D3 regime and hopefully report a brighter outcome.

My blood test results are below and maybe Batch could offer some comment.

Starting D3 Level - Unknown

5/7/2013
10,000 IU D3
2000 Fish Oil

6/7/2013
20,000 IU D3
1 x Multi
450mg Magnesium Citrate
500Mg Calcium Citrate
2000Mg Fish Oil

7/7/2013
50,000 IU D3
1 x Multi
450mg Magnesium Citrate
500Mg Calcium Citrate
2000Mg Fish Oil

8/7/2013
20,000 IU D3
1 x Multi
450mg Magnesium Citrate
500Mg Calcium Citrate
2000Mg Fish Oil

9/7/2013
8000 IU Chewable D3
22,000 IU D3
1 x Multi
450mg Magnesium Citrate
500Mg Calcium Citrate
2000Mg Fish Oil

10/7/2013
20,000 D3
1 x Multi
2000 mg Fish Oil
Woke up Midnight, very nauseous, exploded both ends
Visit the Medical Centre for more Imigran Nasal Spay, had a blood test

11/7/2013
20,000 D3
200Mg Fish Oil
Terrible night, flu kicks in, night time fever and terrible chills - shaking, headaches all night - both sides

12/7/2013
20000 D3
1 x Multi
150mg Magnesium Citrate
2000Mg Fish Oil

13/7/2013 - Blood test results in. Doctor lectures me on the stupidity of so much D3 - saying our bodies are like a machine "you put too much oil in the top and it puts too much pressure on the machine"
Liver count is a little high, she says that's partly due to too much D3. Triglycerides are over range - that's probably too much Bourbon and Coke

Blood Test Results from Morning of the 10/7/2013 3 Days ago and 5 days into the D3 Regime

Serum 25(OH) Vitamin D3 67 nmol/L  (stated as sufficient within 51-200 nmol/l)
Calcium 2.53 nmol/L   (2.13-2.63)
Corrected Calcium 2.45 nmol/L  (2.13 -2.63)
Magnesium 1.03 nmol/L (0.70-1.10)

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #104 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:00am

G'day Roland,
The vitamin D3 response from your doctor is quite normal,
we hear it all the time here.On the Imigran you get the
best results with injections. Have you tried melatonin to
help you get through those night attacks, you can buy it
OTC at your local pharmacy.

Good Luck, Hoppy.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #105 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:04am

hi roland,
                firstly many other people with more experience will hopefully comment, but I will give you my play on things.
I started the regime 7 weeks ago, my starting d3 level was 53 nmol, yours currently isn't much higher, im now 194 and pain free.
I too got the flu a week into starting the regime and went backwards, the flu sucks all the extra d3 that your taking to fight the flu. it was extremely frustrating at the time, but you must continue.  even my doctor last week told me that 194 nmol was within the normal range and was amazed at how much I had to take to get it there and that's what you have to get to to hopefully become pain free.
she was concerned at the levels I was taking to get up too the 194nmol reading, but said I obviously needed that amount to increase my levels.as far as mot tolerating the magnesium, I took batches advice and drank 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a glass of water 3 or 4 times a day and my stomach gradually settled down.
one thing I noticed on the journey was that it made my ch attacks go all over the place, had lots of bad shadows. its almost as though, as the d3 levels increase, your clusters become less predictable in there intensity and regularity.
the flu will slow your d3 count down so keep dosing up.
hang in there, im now pain free and weaning off my verapomil preventative,  hang in there, it will happen, but unfortunately can be a rocky road.
good luck with it
colin

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #106 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:11am

p.s
roland, why did you stop taking the calcium ?
          the calcium helps the absorption of the d3
I would stick to all the supplements, magnesium, calcium, fish oil and multi vitamin, which batch has proven works best.
regards
colin

IP Logged

roland88
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #107 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:53am

Thank you for the responses.

Hi Hoppy,
I did try the Melatonin last time and it didn't seem to make any difference - it's still in the cupboard from 3 years ago - maybe I'll give it a go tonight. I haven't looked forward to going to bed for 3 weeks now Sad I don't think I am so comfortable with injecting myself, I'm happy with the response from the Nasal Spray - just not happy with paying $8 for each abort. I'll do a search here on the forum to see how others are getting on with taking Melatonin. Thanks Mate

Hi blacklab, I remember reading your post about getting the flu when I got mine, and as you reported, I think you are right about the Flu zapping the D3. Mind you I have never had a flu response that was so bad - I thought I was going to die and it started me wondering if the D3 regime was making the flu worse..... I have Veropamil now with no idea on the dosage, I just took 1 x 160mg this morning to start with. The doc's prescription reads "half a tablet" - the Veropamil is a capsule, so seems a bit of a chore to take half?

Hey Colin, I hear that Veropamil and Calcium together can be dangerous, plus I eat cheese and drink milk nearly every day. Would like to hear some thoughts on the 2 of these together.

Since I have never taken Veropamil before, is 160mg (one capsule) enough?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #108 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:30am

Roland, you need to take verapamil first thing in the morning
and the D3 Regime with your night time meal,      
to stop any side affects.Don't worry about your
headaches being all over the place, this also
happened to me when i started the D3 regime.
I am now CH free after suffering for the past
43yrs. I would check the Melatonin i'snt out
of date.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

roland88
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #109 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:43am

I just checked my Blackmores 1000mg fish oil and it it seems 1000mg isn't a 1000mg of much at all:

Active Ingredients
Ingredient      Amount
DHA      120 mg
EPA      180 mg
Fish Oil Natural      1000 mg

Most research I have (just) done suggests beneficial results come from 2g a day of EPA's and DHA's  Shocked

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #110 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:53am

HI Roland,
You need to get fish oil concentrate, good US brands are,
Nature Made, Nature's Bounty. If you are eating a lot of
cheese a day, you maybe not need the calcium citrate.

Hoppy.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:59am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #111 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 7:28am

hi roland,  interesting on the fish oil.  I use one which is 1200mg fish oil, called double strength with 600 mg omega 3 in it.
hey roland, from what I read, its best to keep the calcium and verapamil doses 8-12 hours apart otherwise the calcium lessens the effect of the verapamil, or vice versa.
ive been taking 240 verapamil once a day in the morning, its a slow release one, which works well for me. some here are taking a lot more verapamil as you will probably read. it takes a couple of weeks of taking it for it to take effect, so its not an instant buster, but a preventative.i was given fast release verapamil in the beginning and it made me feel a tad dizzy as I have lowish blood pressure, but the slow release works for me.  when I first get an attack I will take a course of tapering prednisone which while on it kills all attacks, and start verapamil at the same time. sometimes through a cycle, ive taken a course of predisone for a week, just to have a break from the attacks, but its not good for you long term, hence the short tapering course.
I don't think the vit d3 has made the flu any worse, you would have got it anyway. mine was a shocker of a flu as well and together with clusters makes it almost unbearable.
I got thru guzzling a red bull down, then I had imigran tablets, which I know take 20-30 minutes to kick in. I too couldn't imagine myself injecting.   
have you tried the 02 roland ?
I admit I haven't, but it will be on my list if the regime doesn't fully make me pain free on my next cycle.
I mean its a drug free buster if it works for u as it does for many on here. I found after a while taking imigran I got a lot of rebound attacks a couple of hours later.
roland, as mentioned, it might feel as though nothings working for you at the moment, but once you can get your d3 level up to the 190-200 level you will hopefully be one of the lucky ones to become pain free.  as mentioned it took me because of the flu 6-7 weeks of the regime, basically 20,000 d3 a day with a 50,000 loading once a week.
stay in touch and good luck with this cycle and the vit regime........
colin

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #112 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 7:21pm

Roland,

Thanks for the detailed feedback...  Ho Lee Key-Rap!!!  Sorry you're having such a rough time.  You appear to be doing everything right with respect to the anti-inflammatory regimen and you're still getting hammered... at both ends...

Lets start from the top... er... make that the bottom...  You're taking the right form of magnesium...  just a little too much.  Even magnesium citrate at too high a dose can result in osmotic diarrhea... a.k.a. high pressure hydraulic squirts...

You've obviously figured that out as I see where you cut the dose of magnesium citrate in half...  If that doesn't solidify things a bit, cut it in half again...

We've found that viral infections like the flu and colds suck up vitamin D3 like it was going out of style...  This slows the process of building serum 25(OH)D reserves and has kept a few of us from going pain free on the anti-inflammatory regimen.

There are several studies that found our immune system's T-Cells suck up large amounts of 25(OH)D in response to viral infections, trauma, and major surgery as indicated by a sharp drop in serum 25(OH)D concentrations...

The best rule of thumb if you've caught a flu bug or a bad cold is double the present dose of vitamin D3 until the flu or cold symptoms clear.  A 50,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 once a week wouldn't hurt as long as the viral symptoms are present..

I've been pain free of my CH since Oct 2010 when I started the anti-inflammatory regimen... with three exceptions.  All three times I intentionally stopped taking the entire anti-inflammatory regimen as a burn down test of my 25(OH)D reserves...  In all three cases, the beast came a knocking after an average of 8 days without vitamin D3 and the cofactors.

Two weeks ago while on travel, I caught a very nasty cold, my first since Oct of 2010.  All was going well at my usual maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  The cold symptoms appeared less sever and the sequence of cold symptoms were progressing faster than usual... until I missed my daily dose of the anti-inflammatory regimen...  Wham-O... the beast came racing back and the cold turned ugly.

I took a 50,000 IU vitamin D3 loading dose and bumped my daily intake of vitamin D3 to 25,000 IU/day a week... The beast beat feet and the cold symptoms subsided in less than a week.

On the topic of the "normal" reference range for the 25(OH)D lab test...  One of the largest medical diagnostic firms in the world, Quest Diagnostics, uses serum concentrations of 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L) to 100 ng/mL, (250 nmol/L) as the optimal therapeutic reference range for 25(OH)D. 

The consensus of most medical experts in vitamin D3 therapy concludes a serum concentration of 25(OH)D3 of 21 to 29 ng/mL (52.5 to 72.5 nmol/L) is considered a vitamin D3 insufficiency and ≤20 ng/mL, (50 nmol/L) is a vitamin D3 deficiency...  with respect to rickets, osteoporosis and osteomalacia...  not cluster headache.

These same experts say 60 ng/mL, (150 nmol/L) as an optimum therapeutic level of 25(OH)D to maintain.

The results of the online survey of CH'ers using the anti-inflammatory regimen and who experienced a pain free response averaged a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 81.4 ng/mL, (203.5 nmol/L).

I'm not a doctor or a licensed nutritionist...  That said, here's where a little understanding of how these "normal" reference ranges for 25(OH)D3 are derived comes in handy. 

Most reference ranges are derived from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data base of lab tests and survey results collected and reported to CDC.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

When these test and survey results are plotted out, the medical bean counters and statisticians get a bell shaped, gaussian "Normal" distribution curve as shown in the following graphic.

I've overlaid the latest NHANES data for 25(OH)D in red print.  As you can see, the lower 5% of the 8306 participants surveyed had a 25(OH)D serum concentration less than 8.8 ng/mL, (22 nmol/L).  The 50th percentile and mean 25(OH)D serum concentration is 23.9 ng/mL (59.75 nmol/L) and 95% of the 8306 participants surveyed had a 25(OH)D serum concentration ≤ 38.5 ng/mL, (96.25 nmol/L)

Had we plotted out the same figures for paleo man or his modern day counterpart, a healthy Southern California Lifeguard, the curve would be off the scale to the right.  The mean serum 25(OH)D concentration of a SoCal Lifeguard is around 100 ng/mL, (250 nmol/L).

The unfortunate part of all this normal reference range stuff is too many physicians take the levels published by the Food and Nutrition Board at the Institute of Medicine (read big Government) as gospel... and their recommended daily vitamin D3 intake is 400 IU/day.  Moreover, too many of these physicians are perfectly satisfied if your 25(OH)D serum concentration is 31 ng/mL, (77.5 nmol/L).

If you want to read an expert opinion on the very low "big government" figures for vitamin D3, see the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The following chart overlaid with color bands represents before and after 25(OH)D results after starting the anti-inflammatory regimen:

So what does all this mean to you?  The bottom line is simple...  You need to be your own best advocate when it comes to controlling your cluster headaches. 

That doesn't mean you blow off your doctors recommended treatments...  It does mean you can and should question them.  Above all, don't be afraid to ask about side effects... Educating them helps and most are receptive to new CH treatments if you show them the supporting data.

For example, your 25(OH)D serum concentration at 67 nmol/L, (27 ng/mL) is still insufficient according to the experts in vitamin D3 therapy... and well below the 60 to 110 ng/mL, (150 to 275 nmol/L) where 81% of the CH'ers who start this regimen experience a significant reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of their CH...  or go pain free.

The best course of action...  I would stick with the anti-inflammatory regimen with the following modifications.  Cut the Omega 3 Fish Oil back to 1000 mg/day, keep adjusting the magnesium citrate to keep things firm and stick with your present vitamin D3 dosing schedule of 20,000 IU/day plus the weekly 50,000 IU loading dose.  When your cold symptoms clear, you'll start building 25(OH)D reserves a lot faster.

There's nothing wrong in adding verapamil as needed.   Just take it in the morning and the rest of the anti-inflammatory regimen in the evening with the largest meal to improve absorption.

Take care, hang in there and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:41pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #113 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:43pm

Danallan,

Good on you!!! That's the way to beat the beast.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #114 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:43pm

Great news Dana...I'm 3 years pain free on the regimen.....there's something to it!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #115 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:15pm

I to was taking 450mg of Magnesium Citrate /day. Was
having loose poo.Will now take 225mg/day and see how
i go! Smiley

Cheers, Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:16pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

roland88
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #116 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:58am

After reading about how long Veperamil takes to have an effect has me thinking not to take it. I have only had 2 x 160mg caps so far in past 2 days, and I only have the Veperamil because I asked the doctor to prescribe it - I did take along a document supporting the use of it for CH which I shoved under the doc's nose.

This was another desperate attempt in self prescribing in lieu of any faith I have in Medical Center doctors knowing what to do about my CH.

I need to take stock of the negative health effects coming from me drawing my own conclusions on trying to get through this awful cycle....

The Flu is on the back foot now - obviously benefiting from the D3 regime, as Batch said, the Flu has probably put me back on the goal of reaching the therapeutic D3 levels.

I've given up trying to sit through hits, each time I do, a minor k2 or K3 quickly returns as a K8 half an hour later.

The Imigran nasal sprays are still working well for me, mostly taking around 5 minutes to kill the CH and normally no shadows - keeps me going for around 4 hours until the next one.

Thanks for the reply Batch, I'll bump in a loading dose of 50K tonight. Be nice to know what sort of daily serum level increase is had on 20K per day ??

Another day closer to goal tomorrow.

Take Care Everyone

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #117 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:42am

Hey Roland,

Dictum Factum...

The dashed line represents the average 25(OH)D response to a vitamin D3 intake of 20,000 IU/day

Given you've had a bug...  your 25(OH)D results will be lower than shown.

This chart also illustrates why you should get tested again for 25(OH)D after 30 days on an accelerated vitamin D3 dosing schedule.  The target 25(OH)D serum concentration to shoot for is 85 ng/mL.  Once you reach that serum concentration, drop back to a maintenance dose of vitamin D3 at 10,000 IU/day.  85 ng/mL should keep you pain free and give you a week to 10 days reserve in case you miss a dose.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:43am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #118 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:09pm

HI Roland,
About the fish oil, do you have the brand name" Swisse" in
the US i'ts the one i use.

Concentrated omega-3 wild fish oil 1.042g.
DHA 248.7mg.
EPA 352.3mg.
1/day.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

roland88
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #119 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 2:48am

Hi Hoppy,

I'm in Sydney and after studying all the contents of the Fish Oil, I've found one with similar concentrations to what you have plus it was on special at the discount Chemist store.

I was tempted to go Krill Oil, but yet to see any studies that compare it against Fish Oil.

Cheers
Roland

Hoppy wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:09pm:
HI Roland,
About the fish oil, do you have the brand name" Swisse" in
the US i'ts the one i use.

Concentrated omega-3 wild fish oil 1.042g.
DHA 248.7mg.
EPA 352.3mg.
1/day.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #120 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 3:54am

Hi Roland,
I did'nt realise you were on our shores.I used to live in
Sydney many years ago. I lived in Arden St, in Coogee,
just a stroll across the road for my morning swim. Smiley Hoping the D3 Regime is starting
to kick in for you.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #121 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 3:07pm

TeeJ2379 wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:42am:
Hi All - Been on D3 for just over a month - Pre regiment D3 level was 19 ng/ml - just got my results back from last week - 59 ng/ml.

Been feeling better, still get some shadows but nothing too bad and I use energy drinks and naproxen to kill those off cause I usually get them at work.

I've cut down my verapamil (with my GP;s consent) to 160 mg for the next few weeks, then I'll be going down to 80 to see how I feel.

Hope everyone else is having a great summer!

Well my testing of 160mg a day of verapamil wasn't as good as I was hoping.  Got hit on Thursday at work (kip 7 that lasted about 20 minutes after i aborted with a sumpatriptan tablet) this week.  Sorry to say that the D3 has not been the direct cause of my reduced hits.  My blood test say I'm still not in the optimal range so I'm sticking with it.  Still just one CH in about month has not been that bad.  Shadows are pretty bad right now, so my doc said to go back to 240mg verapamil.  Scheduled another blood test for first week of august to see if 50k D3 once a week can  get my levels up.

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #122 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:45pm

danallan wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:18pm:
I'm in trouble. Need help. Quick review, started Vit D regiment on July 4th. Vit D level tested at 47. 50k hit on July 13th. Aug 15th, the Beast returned with a vengeance. Upped daily from 10k to 25k. 50k hit on Aug 16th. Blood test on 8/21. Results today.

wait for it.....103.

So what the heck!!!! I'm a golfer and a damn good one. I haven't teed of yet this year in a tournament because of these headaches. I'm in the sun a lot, no sunscreen. I have done everything I should have done. I spend more time crying in bed than anything else this last week. I've taken to beating my head just for distraction sake.

I guess I fall in the 20% that this doesn't work for or am I just too impatient? This is driving me crazy, maybe to divorce. I can't work. I can't play tournament golf. I have the worst temper with this. Don't want to eat, feel like throwing up but never do.

I'll do anything that won't offend God (meaning no VooDoo Witch doctors, etc...)

I can't live like this. No I am not going to check out. I know I am not special here. We are all in the same boat. Its just that mine is sinking at the moment.

Hi Danallan,
I can relate to the high test results.  One & half years ago I tested at 103 ng/ml and had no relief whatsoever from the vitamin regimen.  It doesn't work for everybody even when your test results are flagged High!  However it does work for many, so might want to keep trying it!

Additionally, you are clearly suffering in many ways and I suggest you speak to your doctor about transitional and preventative meds; which hopefully will return a quality of life to you.

As for the sun, stay out; unless you use sunscreen!

PF Wishes! Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #123 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:13pm

Danallan,

A 25(OH)D serum concentration of 103 is nowhere near the record reported reported to day...  There are several CH'ers who needed a 25(OH)D serum concentration upwards of 110 to 150 ng/mL to achieve a pain free response...

The record was North of 200 ng/mL... but under close supervision of the CH'ers physician with lab tests for total calcium, PTH, creatinine and a urine test for calcium... on a monthly basis.  All remained within the normal reference range...

There are several possible reasons you haven't had a favorable response with your 25(OH)D at 103 ng/mL.  The first is your serum calcium may be pushing the upper limit of its normal reference range and that will trigger another set of enzymes that metabolize the available 25(OH)D to an inactive vitamin D3 metabolite 24,25(OH)2D3 instead of the active metabolite and hormonal form of vitamin D3, 1,25(OH)2D2, (calcitriol).

This process is normal and part of the body's built-in protection mechanism that prevents calcium levels from exceeding the normal reference range to prevent vitamin D3 intoxication...

The solution here is to cut the calcium citrate supplements for a couple weeks and see what happens.

The other likely scenario is your arterial/systemic pH is too low...  (too much acid). This condition is usually due to diet but it can be caused by a number of comorbid medical conditions.

The simple test for a low pH is four glasses of baking soda tonic a day.  A half teaspoon of good old Arm & Hammer baking soda in 4 ounces of water an hour after each meal and right before bed.  The directions are on the box.

If that works, a more lasting solution is a slight change of diet by adding GOMBS.  See the following link for details:

Finally, what are you doing for oxygen therapy...  There's no sense laying in bed enduring the pain needlessly...  If used properly, oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation... 25 to 40 liters/minute or oxygen therapy with hyperventilation, should result in an average abort time of 7 minutes flat to a pain free state and with 99% efficacy.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some info on this method of oxygen inhalation...  It's not Voodoo medicine and I hold a patent on this method of therapy as a co-inventor. 

Moreover, Dr. Todd Rozen, MD, Director, Geisinger Neurosciences Institute in Wilkes-Barre, PA has already done a pilot study of the oxygen demand valve version of this method of oxygen therapy...  The results...  it worked as advertised...  very effectively.

Take care, hang in there, and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:15pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Choppo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #124 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 8:44pm

Hi guys,
this is incredibly rude i know, but i'm off to the the GP in literally 2hrs time and would love to know exactly what i should ask for in a blood test. Really, really sorry to barge in and request this info without a formal introduction!! I'll introduce myself this evening once back from the GP/Finished work. Have suffered this for ever, 3 yearly cycles (was a member here 3 years ago, but must have been deleted). Currently on 6th day of Prednisone and just tapered from 50mg to 25mg. Guess what - instant pain!! I find myself reaching for the Endone/Codine/inbprofin etc etc even though it i know it won't do anything, but desperation is desperation hence i really would like to give this a go! This happened last time i tried Prednisone too. Short term relief... Anyway, if i promise to introduce myself properly this-evening, could some one pleeeeeaaaseee spell out exactly what i should ask for in a blood test this afternoon?? Anything and everything that would be use. 42y.o. male, smoker/drinker/CH'er. Whilst i am waiting for the results, i can read up on the regime and get all the vitamins ready. Posting from Sydney Australia. G'day!
Steve
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013 at 8:48pm by Choppo »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!