Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 239780 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Regimen and Survey
Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:13pm

Bump

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #26 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:11pm

Ive been doing the regimen since and i'm still getting slammed. i am having around 6 CH a day right now all on  my right side. Verapamil and Topamax do nothing for me i'm taking 15,000IU D3, 500mg Calcium, Fish Oil 2400mg, and 400 magesium. I would still recommend this to anyone who suffers with CH ( so much success for so many ). I think its just i'm extremely unlucky to say the least, or i'm doing something wrong as far as the dosage. I don't know, Him so glad it works for so many people tho. so much better the feeling spaced out and constipated from prescription medications.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:28pm

ive been taking since july 4th

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:33pm

Lydia - There are so many co-factors and co-morbid conditions that could be running interference, I can tell you that it's too soon to judge. It took me almost two whole months before I started to see improvement.

You might want to:

a) Visit an endocrinologist to make sure your body is able to properly metabolize the D3. Dysfunctional thyroid can be a major stumbling block.

and/or

b) Up your dosage to 20,000 iu / day with a 50,000 iu loading dose once per week.

Either way, you need to have your 25(OH)D serum level tested to see where you're at.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:44pm

Lydia Nichole,

Sorry you're still having such a rough time...  You could be dosing correctly...  Have you seen your PCP for the lab test for 25(OH)D?  I've gone over all your posts and can't see you've gone in for this lab test.  Without it...  you're shooting in the dark.

I would increase the vitamin D3 dose to 20,000 IU/day and add a 50,000 IU loading dose once a week...  and then beat feet to my PCP for the 25(OH)D lab test.

You also need to read the last three posts Magnus put up.  Start at the following link, Reply #940:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You may be suffering from a subclinical allergic reaction to some of the foods you're eating.  It's comorbid conditions like this that can interfere with the anti-inflammatory regimen making it ineffective in preventing your CH.

A trip to an endocrinologist or homeopathic physician to discuss your medical problems may be in order.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:47pm

Thanks Brew...  You got the jump on me...  Good advise!

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

palm
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #31 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 9:07pm

I noticed several people mentioning magnesium.

I tried 500mg daily magnesium supplements, usually right before bed. It resulted in a 10x fold increase in CH hits, so had to stop that. Magnesium is a vasodilator, while my CH responds well to vasoconstrictors, so maybe that's why.

During the time I was doing the magnesium, I was getting about ~1000mg of calcium and ~1000mg fish oil per day, too (for unrelated reasons). Was also out at the pool tanning once a week.

I haven't tried the D3 supplements yet, so I'll buy some today and see.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #32 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 2:39pm

Palm,

You need the whole 9 yards of anti-inflammatory regimen supplements starting with the vitamin D3 listed in this thread if you have any expectations of a favorable response.  They're all essential for one reason or another...

You also need the lab test for 25(OH)D...  Without it, you're shooting in the dark with respect to an anticipated response time for this regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2012 at 2:41pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #33 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:37am

Bump.

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:20am

bump

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:16pm

Some thoughts about the magnesium part of this treatment.  I don't know how many people (especially women) are trying this regimen, but I have used the cheaper Costco calcium, magnesium oxide and zinc combo for years for bone protection. It's fine and economical if you have no stomach issues with it. But in my case, I found magnesium oxide and other commonly found forms of magnesium end up upsetting my stomach, working as a laxative and are poorly absorbed. When I switched to a chelated form of it, magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate, my stomach issues improved immediately, and the absorption is much better. Some other issues aside from my CH have improved significantly as well. It's pricier, due to the Albion patent on these products, but it might be worth it to you if you are having less than optimal results with this regimen. I'm not plugging any brands here, but it's easy to research. Also, do your homework on chelated magnesium as it might apply to drug interactions, etc.   

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #36 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:44pm

No stomach issues here, but the notion of poor absorption is intriguing. I also cut my magnesium back to 250mg every other day due to some mild leg cramping issues I was having.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #37 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 2:20pm

Brew wrote on Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:44pm:
No stomach issues here, but the notion of poor absorption is intriguing. I also cut my magnesium back to 250mg every other day due to some mild leg cramping issues I was having.
I know what you mean about cramps.  Getting electrolytes balanced and absorbed is challenging.  I don't even know how much total calcium I'm really absorbing, when my drinking water is very likely quite high in calcium content.  I'm thinking the absorption of the vitamin D co-factors may play quite a role in how well the anti-inflammatory CH regimen works for each of us.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #38 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:46pm

bump

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

zillygoat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:30pm

got 25(OH)D level today = 17

Very hopeful with this low number that this regimen will prove very beneficial. I just came off a particularly nasty cluster, but rarely get more than a few weeks reprieve these last two years. 

I plan on staggering my Verapamil does as directed as it is excellent at controlling my BP and I dont want to cease taking it.

Ill report back in 30 days.

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:02pm by zillygoat »  

IP Logged

77BP
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #40 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:55am

Hi Batch,
Thanks for the info!

I hope it's not the timely end of my CH period then this could work next time too..

Could you tell me the prevention or maintenance dose of D3 and co-factors to avoid the next episode?

My D level is 86.0 ng/mL (feb 19)
It was 35.0 ng/ML (jan 31) when i started the therapy..

I hope it was the reason that my CH (1-3 daily, 1.5 hours hardcore attacks) turned 1 strange small migraine in the night time when i sleep in the last 5 days. That means, no bloody and small eye and i dont need relpax already.

Thanx in davance!

I wish all the best to all of you..

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #41 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:50am

77BP,

Thanks for the post and good question.  How much vitamin D3 have you been taking?  As you can see in the chart below, your 25(OH)D serum concentration is on target in the middle of the green zone at 86 ng/mL.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you were using one of the accelerated vitamin D3 dosing schedules, dropping back to 10,000 IU/day may be a good maintenance dose, but it would be wise to to see your PCP for a retest in 30 days to make sure your 25(OH)D serum concentration has stabilized.

However, if you've been taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 the entire time, you may need to cut back your vitamin D3 intake to 5,000 IU/day and retest in 30 days.

Just be sure to take all the vitamin D3 cofactors including vitamin K2 (MK-7) and vitamin A at RDA.

Staying on a maintenance dosing schedule of vitamin D3 that maintains a 25(OH)D serum concentration around 85 ng/mL should make your next episodic CH cycle a non-event... i.e., you'll sail through it pain free.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 6:10pm

So the results of my D3 test, aka 25 (OH) D are in and the reading is 34 ng/ml. The doc's assistant called this "normal". I should add that this was from blood drawn before I began the 10K IU daily D3 etc. regimen on 2/15, which included a 50K bump on 2/22.

After 3 or 4 miraculously quiet days though I suddenly got a rude wake-up call from Mr. Beast Saturday night late. This happened to coincide with a visit from my girlfriend, the first in a week in fact, and I'm wondering if this had something to do with it as this was of course a visit with, er, All That Such A Visit Entails. I seem to recall a flurry of posts half a dozen years ago about such matters and their relation to CH, though no real conclusions.

Maybe my GF is a trigger. Or, um, er, that is, maybe it's A.T.S.A.V.E. Yikes.

Anyway, there was a less-intense hit the next afternoon and then last night nothing. But since I was concerned I went back on the full dose of Topamax yesterday (25 mg twice a day) so that may also be contributing. Still continuing the vitamins of course... we shall see.

David

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:14pm

Hey David,

You've brought up a good point...  All too often unknowing physicians will interpret 25(OH)D lab results as "normal" when the serum concentration is at the bottom of the normal reference range of 30 to 100 ng/mL...  and will not treat the condition...

The data we've collected so far indicates the CH'ers who have gone pain free on this regimen have all tested between 60 and 110 ng/mL.

Accordingly, with respect to cluster headache and the data collected so far on this regimen as reported lab test data, we need a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 60 to 110 ng/mL in order to go pain free... and remain that way...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #44 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:12pm

Thanks as always, Batch. Believe me, those vit'min bottles ain't goin' nowhere. Tomorrow will be two weeks. Will keep you posted for sure.

IP Logged

Chuh
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #45 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:02am

New here, but I'll certainly bump this thread as it seems interesting.
One therapy I'm using during this episode is water fasting... trying to reboot my system as it were. Six days in so far and feel reallly good when I don't get crushed. for me it's usually about forty minutes in duration. I did stop taking my prevent as I feel it's unsafe with nothing else going in, but as soon as I read this thread I went and picked up these suppliments, squeezed the liquids into a glass of water and sucked em down. Turned my stomach a little but If there's no horror show tonight then it's worth it, right?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #46 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 9:50am

Chuh, if you're experience is like mine, you'll never look back. Episodic since my teens, 2 cycles a year, 8-12 weeks long. At age 50 I started this regimen in its original form, been changnig it as Batch adjusted and tweaked it, I have been cycle free for almost 3 years. There's really something to this.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #47 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 9:55pm

A bit more than just "something" as so many of us are going pain free by this approach, including me, which is simply wonderful and a whole lot more.

IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #48 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 5:52am

A vitamin D overdose can be dangerous.....and damage your kidneys.

IP Logged

horsegirl
CH.com Veteran

Cluster Headaches

x0||USA||0|0|IA,Iowa
Reply #49 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:21am

my doctor wont even do the lab test he said take what the bottle says and no more. so i have no idea where i am at with my vit d. I do not want to take to much but really want to see if it helps. I have been taking everything on the regiment but only about 4000 d and ive been slammed with worst cycle ever. one interesting thing i wanted to bring up is I looked up vit d overdose and it said they treat it with steroids ,soooo sense i was getting hit so hard this cycle I started steroids about same time as regiment.  Makes me wonder if they treat overdose of vit d with steroids if I even absorbed the vit d at all?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!