Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 239776 times)
DanAge50
CH.com Newbie

"It's hard to speculate
what tomorrow may bring."

USA
Magnesium Carbonate
Reply #725 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:26am

I'm wondering if this source of magnesium will be suitable even though it is not listed specifically in the regime, it is in a magnesium Carbonate stress drink which I have a large supply of, I would take 2xday.

The label ingredient list says:
"A blend of citric acid and Magnesium Carbonate - which in combination with water creates ionic magnesium citrate. Magnesium 235 mg (elemental from Magnesium citrate)"

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #726 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Dan,

I don’t see any reason why this shouldn’t work fine. I take Magnesium Citrate and it’s fine.

Because each packet contains 235 mg, you should take 2 per day.

I would suggest taking one in the morning with breakfast and the other with your main meal, later in the day.

Because it’s suspended in liquid, there is a better chance of absorption if taken with food, than if taken on an empty stomach, where more of the Magnesium is likely to be passed.

Pain free wishes,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #727 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:17pm

Hey Dan,

Looks good by me.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #728 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 8:47pm

When I look at the large number of American, Canadian, British, Irish, India(n), Australian and New Zealanders on this site I wanna blame some poor bloke with a genetic defect from England a couple of hundred years ago as we were all from the British Commonwealth.  Shocked Shocked Tongue😛

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #729 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 4:09am

Sea,

Ireland..Part of the British Commonwealth ???

Red rag to a bull that.

Neither is America a member of the British Commonwealth.

Both part of the British Empire historically, alright.

Peter.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 5:11am by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #730 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:42am

Peter, I stand corrected. 😀  Seriously though, I think Ch ancestry would be interesting to find out if there is a common link as there are other afflictions in the world that are linked to race or ethnicity.   I know my roots are Irish/English.  Sean

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #731 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 6:39pm

Sean,

There are theories about heredity having a bearing on CH, but, as far as I’m aware, there has been no conclusive evidence.

Geneticists believe that large numbers of people in Northern Europe can be traced back to a few single sources, the Emporer Charlemagne, for example.

As we know, the large migration of Northern Europeans to the Americas from the time of Queen Elizabeth 1, and since, would have spread those genetic markers even further afield.

There could a Phd Programme set up to investigate such a theory. However, as CH is so rare, I doubt if any academic institution would fund that kind of research.

Interesting thought though.

Peter.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #732 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:18pm

Sean McE wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
When I look at the large number of American, Canadian, British, Irish, India(n), Australian and New Zealanders on this site I wanna blame some poor bloke with a genetic defect from England a couple of hundred years ago as we were all from the British Commonwealth.  Shocked Shocked Tongue😛

As others have commented, the British Commonwealth isn't the best descriptor with the better one being formerly part of the British Empire, especially for countries like the US, India and Ireland (histories of each country will explain more).

Possibly, but then remember this site is in English, so it isn't too surprising that the majority of people are from countries where English is the main language.

And add in that it can be hard enough to get a CH diagnosis in western countries, so it will be a lot harder to get a correct diagnosis in other countries, especially in the less developed countries, so people are less likely to come here knowing they have CH.

So this doesn't rule out a genetic link from someone in the UK a few hundred years ago, but it doesn't confirm it either.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #733 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Peter510 wrote on Jul 20th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
There are theories about heredity having a bearing on CH, but, as far as I’m aware, there has been no conclusive evidence.

Geneticists believe that large numbers of people in Northern Europe can be traced back to a few single sources, the Emporer Charlemagne, for example.

As we know, the large migration of Northern Europeans to the Americas from the time of Queen Elizabeth 1, and since, would have spread those genetic markers even further afield.

There could a Phd Programme set up to investigate such a theory. However, as CH is so rare, I doubt if any academic institution would fund that kind of research..

There has been research done around genetic links for CH, which shows that in a small percentage of cases (~5%) there is a genetic link, but the vast majority show no obvious genetic link.

However some very recent research, published just in June, does show differences in the genetic linkage between people in SE European people and African / South Asian and East Asian populations.

Population-Based Analysis of Cluster Headache-Associated Genetic Polymorphisms, Katsarou et al, J Mol Neurosci. 2018 Jun 29. doi: 10.1007/s12031-018-1103-5
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Cluster headache is a disorder with increased hereditary risk. Associations between cluster headache and polymorphism rs2653349 of the HCRTR2 gene have been demonstrated. The less common allele (A) seems to reduce disease susceptibility. The polymorphism rs5443 of the GNB3 gene positively influences triptan treatment response. Carriers of the mutated T allele are more likely to respond positively compared to C:C homozygotes, when treated with triptans. DNA was extracted from buccal swabs obtained from 636 non-related Southeastern European Caucasian individuals and was analyzed by real-time PCR. Gene distribution for the rs2653349 was G:G = 79.1%, G:A = 19.2%, and A:A = 1.7%. The frequency of the wild-type G allele was 88.7%. The frequencies for rs5443 were C:C = 44.0%, C:T = 42.6%, and T:T = 13.4%. The frequency of the wild-type C allele was 65.3%. The frequency distribution of rs2653349 in the Southeastern European Caucasian population differs significantly when compared with other European and East Asian populations, and the frequency distribution of rs5443 showed a statistically significant difference between Southeastern European Caucasian and African, South Asian, and East Asian populations. For rs2653349, a marginal statistically significant difference between genders was found (p = 0.080) for A:A versus G:G and G:A genotypes (OR = 2.78), indicating a higher representation of male homozygotes for the protective mutant A:A allele than female. No statistically significant difference was observed between genders for rs5443. Cluster headache pathophysiology and pharmacotherapy response may be affected by genetic factors, indicating the significant role of genotyping in the overall treatment effectiveness of cluster headaches.

It also shows a marginal difference between male / females in one gene, although this is probably not enough to explain the difference between male / female CH diagnosis as observed currently.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #734 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 7:41pm

I personally think rather than linking CH to England, the larger factor is latitude. There seems to be a larger number of cases from above and below the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. The lower amounts of Vit D from the sun seems to play a large role in this. India, of course, would not fall into that category, but we've not had that many from India on the board, even though English is commonly spoken there.

I agree with someone's comment that this is an English language site, so we should expect to find more English speakers here than other languages. Advanced medical care and ability to properly diagnose also has a large bearing on numbers of reported cases.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #735 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 8:53pm

I had considered the selectivity of an English speaking site but had not considered the lack of correct diagnosies in less advanced countries or the influence of latitude. Those were all very thoughtful comments..thanks guys. A direct genetic link from parents to children is a scary thought....my son has a Ch dad,a migraineur mom (from preteen days) and a chronic ch'er Uncle on his mom's side. You can bet I've been coaching him if he gets unlucky enuf to grow into them as happens to so many of us.    Sean
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2018 at 8:55pm by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

nichjfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa Canuckland
Reply #736 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:58am

I've got a question about the anit inflammatory regimen:

I've been on the D3 regimen for 10 months now, 95% of which has been pain free  : ))))
   But, I got the flu about 3 weeks ago and after a few days the headaches started creeping back. I went onto the 50,000 IU loading dose 8 days ago, the headaches have gotten better but they are not gone. I'm wondering if I should stay on 50 000 IU for another few days until I'm pain free, from what I can gather it would take a hell of a lot more D3 for a lot longer in order to start causing any adverse reactions.
  So shold I stay on the loading dose until all flu like symptoms and the headaches are gone, (I'm getting close I think) or should I drop back down to 10 000 IU?

Thanks much

Nick

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #737 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Hey Nick,

Great question.  As this can and will happen to all of us taking the anti-inflammatory regimen (including me) to prevent our CH, it's best to be prepared and know what to do.  Allergic reactions as well as bacterial and viral infections trigger an immune system response that consumes available serum vitamin D3 and 25(OH)D.  The allergic reactions and infections themselves also release neuroactive peptides that can over power vitamin D3's capacity to prevent our CH.

The solution is increase the vitamin D3 dose, (you've done that), add vitamin C at 1000 mg every two hours throughout the day (get-up to bed time), 50 mg/day zinc, double the Omega-3 fish oil dose, a tablet a day of vitamin B 100 complex if you're not already taking it, 300 mg/day CoQ10 and 1000 mg/day Turmeric (Curcumin). 

The other thing to try is Bio-Tech vitamin D3-5 (5,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules) or the Bio-Tech D3-50 (50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules).  It can be a game changer...

I was in the middle of a bad allergic reaction to mold spores while fishing in Pelican, Alaska last June.  20,000 to 30,000 IU/day vitamin D3 (liquid soft gel formulation) plus 100 mg/day Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) was ineffective...  I was getting whacked 3 to 5 times a night.  Fortunately, I had oxygen available using two of my Redneck oxygen reservoir bags to get through the night, so was able to abort my CH in an average of 7 minutes. 

The problem started when we had an electrician rewire the circuit breaker panel in the 65 year old house we stay in during our fishing trips to Pelican.  The roof has leaked over the years so the walls are full of mold.  The electrician's work fixed our electrical problems but created a major allergic reaction for me by stirring up mold spores...  I'd been CH pain free for the first two weeks of our month long fishing trip until the electrician's work stirred up the mold spores.  The first night after he rewired the circuit panel, I got whacked.

When I switched to the Bio-Tech D3-50 three days before flying back to Juneau then South to Seattle for the drive to my home near Bremerton, WA, the result was dramatic. One Bio-Tech D3-50 stopped my CH completely.  I've been taking it ever since and have tapered off to one Bio-Tech D3-50 capsule a week.

There's an added benefit to switching to the Bio-Tech D3-50...  Cost.  At 22 cents per capsule from Amazon... see below, the cost of taking one capsule a week is ~ 3 cents/day.  That beats the 12 cents/day for two of the 5000 IU liquid soft gel vitamin D3 formulations.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

nichjfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa Canuckland
Reply #738 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:35pm

Thanks for the reply Batch and the tip about the D3-50, I'm going to get my hands on some of that. As it happens I have a check up with my family doc on Monday and will get my levels checked, which will be interesting.

IP Logged

nichjfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa Canuckland
Reply #739 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:38am

Hi again
               it's been a month since I posted last and I wish I could report a better state of affairs.  I upped my D3 levels to 50 000 IU for two weeks. Then I had my bl levels checked :  I was at 320 nmol/L. My GP said I was at a toxic level of D3 and said I should drop my dose, which I did, down to 20 000 a day. The headaches quickly ramped up from bearable to excruciating. Right now I'm in the middle of a severely accute faze. I don't have oxygen, my neuro has never considered it an option. 
   I'm going to try that 50 000 iu pill your talking about Batch. Would I take it once a week? Or would I start say 3 times a week and then  taper down to once a week?
Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Nick
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:38am by nichjfw »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #740 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:50pm

Nick,

Thanks for the update and sorry you're having such a rough time.

Ask your GP for labs of your serum calcium and PTH.  As long as your serum calcium remains within its normal reference range, there's no vitamin D3 toxicity even at 300 nmol/L (120 ng/mL).  I've run my 25(OH)D up as high as 180 ng/mL (450 nmol/L) with normal calcium levels so no toxicity.

You're likely battling an allergy.  They're frequently subclinical (no outward or obvious symptoms) but they're still there triggering mast cells to release large quantities of histamine.  The histamine in turn triggers neurons in the trigeminal ganglia and elsewhere in the CNS to express Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide (CGRP) and other neuroactive peptides responsible for neurogenic inflammation and the pain we know as CH.

It gets worse, the CGRP in turn triggers mast cells to release even more histamine and this results in what I call a CGRP cascade.  When that happens, CH become uncontrollable with high frequency, severity and duration.  When this happens to me, I take a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours throughout the day for a week to 10 days.  No longer.

If the Diphenhydramine HCL helps reduce the frequency and severity of my CH, I start looking for the source of the allergic reaction then try to limit my exposure to it.  This much Diphenhydramine HCL will make us drowsy so If I need to drive or be sharp as a tack during the day, I wait until I'm home for the day then take 50 mg of Diphenhydramine as I walk through the door and another 50 mg at bedtime.

In this situation, it also helps to double the magnesium dose taking 400 mg in the morning and another 400 mg 12 hours later.  This helps prevent osmotic diarrhea.  Doubling the Omega-3 fish oil also helps.  If you get this far and your CH are still hitting hard and heavy, I'd start taking vitamin C at 1000 mg every 2 hours throughout the day.  Taking a couple thousand mg/day of Turmeric (Curcumin) has also helped.

The Bio-Tech D3-50 will likely prove to be the best option.  This water soluble formulation has a much higher bio-availability and is faster acting than the liquid soft gel formulations.

As to how frequently to take the 50,000 IU capsules, you'll need the results of your serum calcium lab to know for sure.  Without this lab, I would take one of the D3-50 every 3 days to see what happens.  Be sure to double the magnesium dose.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

nichjfw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ottawa Canuckland
Reply #741 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Hi Batch
             well the Benedryl  worked, immediately reducing the severity of the headaches bye a large magnitude. They tapered off over the course of a week and I have now been pain free for six days! Amazing. Fingures crossed they stay away, it's amazing how debillitating they are.
   This cycle was different though... hellish but a little more bearable then my pre D3 cycles. But it wasn't until the Benedryl that I actually felt things ramping down rather than ramping up. 
   Thanks so much for your help, your a fount of knowledge!

Nick

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #742 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:10pm

Batch wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:50pm:

The Bio-Tech D3-50 will likely prove to be the best option.  This water soluble formulation has a much higher bio-availability and is faster acting than the liquid soft gel formulations.

As to how frequently to take the 50,000 IU capsules, you'll need the results of your serum calcium lab to know for sure.  Without this lab, I would take one of the D3-50 every 3 days to see what happens.  Be sure to double the magnesium dose.

Batch,

I'm currently taking 500 mg of Magnesium (Life Extension) per day.  When taking the 50,000 IU dose of D3, should I be taking 1000 mg of Magnesium on those days and if so, should I split that 1000 mg into two doses or take them together?

And just to confirm, is this the correct one in capsule form?

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #743 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 10:23am

Slacker,

I take 1000mg each day, along with all the other cofactors, and the 50k every 5 days. That brand is the right one.

Works a treat.

Peter.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #744 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 1:23pm

Peter510 wrote on Nov 5th, 2018 at 10:23am:
Slacker,

I take 1000mg each day, along with all the other cofactors, and the 50k every 5 days. That brand is the right one.

Works a treat.

Peter.

So you're taking 50K IU every 5 days even when you're not in a cycle?  And 10K IU per day in between?

And that's 1000 mg of Magnesium even on the days that you only take 10K IU?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2018 at 1:23pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #745 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Slacker,

I’m afraid I’m chronic, so I’m always in cycle, so to speak.

Only take the 50k once every 5 days, in place of the 10k daily. The cofactors are taken every day as usual, and increase your magnesium from 500mg to 1000mg daily.

Peter.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #746 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 4:13pm

Wow!  Great posts and questions...

Nick, glad to hear the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) did the trick to kick start the anti-inflammatory regimen.  A pain free response to the anti-inflammatory regimen is the goal.  I wouldn't settle for just a reduction in the frequency of my CH so would keep tweaking the regimen until I was CH pain free.  Basically, leave no stone unturned...

The mechanism of action with Diphenhydramine is fascinating.  A first-generation antihistamine like Diphenhydramine crosses the blood brain barrier to block histamine H1 receptors at the genetic layer in neurons throughout the brain and in particular, the trigeminal ganglia where calcitonin gene-replated peptide (CGRP) is expressed.  This helps prevent the CGRP cascade cause by a flood of histamine.

It's really a numbers and probability game.  If the H1 genetic receptor is already occupied by histamine, Diphenhydramine will have little effect.  However, if the cellular concentration of Diphenhydramine is high enough, as soon as most of the H1 receptors are vacant and filled with the Diphenhydramine molecule, we start experiencing its beneficial effects.  That means we need to take the Diphenhydramine for at least a week to 10 days to make sure we plug all the histamine H1 receptors possible.

That you responded to the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is a great first step.  Your next step is to try and ID the offending allergen then limit or avoid further exposure.  I say this as Diphenhydramine is still a drug so its use should be limited to only as needed and not a long term solution.

Regarding magnesium...  1000 mg/day is fine... and a must if loading with more than 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  Splitting the dose am/pm helps prevent osmotic diarrhea..

Rgarding the Bio-Tech D3-50...  Slacker, you've got the right link.  I'm chronic CHer so take one of the 50,000 IU capsules every 5 to 7 days for an average daily dose of 7,000 to 10,000 IU/day of vitamin D3.  Episodic CHers should take one of the D3-50 capsules a week when out of cycle.  In any case, see your PCP/GP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH after a month taking the Bio-Tech D3-50 and annually after that.

Finally, for CHers new to this regimen... if you've been taking it for more than 30 days and have results from a recent lab test for serum 25(OH)D, please take the online survey for CHers taking this regimen.  To start this survey, click on the following link:

I'll be taking a harvest of this online survey database in late December to mark its 7th year in use.  That will make this study the longest of its kind in the prevention of CH.  This is exactly the kind of medical evidence physicians, neurologists, and headache specialists need to start suggesting this regimen to their headache patients...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #747 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:20pm

Thanks Peter and thanks Batch.

I'll bump my magnesium intake to 1000 mg per day.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:21pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #748 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 1:30am

Batch,

In another thread, you recommended a course of B-100 Complex.  Should I take that on top of the vitamins B-1 (300mg) and B-12 (5000mcg) along with the Kirkland Mature-Multi that I'm already taking?
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2018 at 1:33am by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #749 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 2:11pm

Hey slacker,

Great question.  If you're CH pain free, it's dealer's choice.  If you're still getting hit, I'd take the vitamin B3 complex for at least 3 months just in case you're missing one of the other B vitamins that help you stay CH pain free.  There should be ample quantities of the seven B vitamins in the Kirkland Adult 50+ Mature Multi after that.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!