Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 239735 times)
Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

x0|KC|USA||0|0|MO,Missouri
Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #825 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 3:12pm

Is there an updated view of the bar chart in the (3) Efficacy and Response Time section?  It looks like it was last updated in December 2016.  How have the results changed over time?

Is the "Days to Respond" horizontal axis counting days after the initial loading schedule or inclusive of the loading schedule?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Miguel Amaral
CH.com Newbie

Porto , Portugal
Reply #826 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:35pm

Miguel Amaral wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 12:28pm:
Hi all,  quick update :

40 days since the start of the D3 reg
14 days since last visit   Wink

looking good  ....  Cool

Hi everyone ,
So the count continues from above and I'm living free of any "visit" .
Keeping the 10K of D3 + all the rest daily !

Wink

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #827 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 9:11pm

Hi Jeremy, everyone is different, for me, when I started the regimen in my 2012 Spring cycle it didn't work, but I persisted, and continued taking it, and been CH free since, except for one hiccup, which was my own fault.

Cheers, Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #828 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 9:37am

Hey Jeremy,

Good question.  The bar chart illustrating time to respond by day after start of regimen hasn't changed much.  It's still the same shape in terms of days to respond.  The only difference is the numbers of responders by day are greater.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The response times tend to be shorter if CHers start this regimen with the 12-Day accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for 12 days.  I'll be doing another harvest of survey data the first of July and will update the days to respond chart.  I'll post the update.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #829 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 11:15am

Thanks, Batch.

Is Day 1 of the Days to Respond, Day 1 of Loading Schedule or of the Daily Regimen?

I just completed the 14 day Loading Schedule, however, in Week 2 went 45k IU D3 to compensate for 26 BMI.  Yesterday was my first day of the Daily Regimen.

Haven't noticed any changes, in week 5 of this cluster which has been all over the place in terms of time of headache, intensity, and frequency.

Not on any other meds unfortunately.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #830 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:02pm

Hey Jeremy,

I am a chronic sufferer and when I started the D3 Regimen I was in a very bad way.

It took a full 4/5 weeks before I felt any benefits, but I haven’t looked back since.

Stick with it.

Have you a script for home Oxygen?

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #831 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:13am

Hi Jeremy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There are multiple sections in the document, e.g. pages 5-7, which detail what might be stopping D3 working, with suggestions on what to change to make a difference. Have you tried any of these suggestions? Which ones? Did they help at all?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #832 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 4:56pm

Hey Jeremy,

Mike and Peter have provided some great suggestions.  Response times to the anti-inflammatory regimen will vary due to starting 25(OH)D serum concentration where less than 20 ng/mL will take longer than 30 ng/mL.  This is one of the reasons why I suggest CHers see their PCP/GP for a lab test of their serum 25(OH)D and to discuss this treatment protocol as there's another set of labs for serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH 30 days after start of regimen.

Allergic reactions to pollen, mold spores and dust mite poo can also delay a favorable response to this regimen.  These allergic reactions can be subclinical, i;e., no outward or obvious symptoms, but the allergic reactions is there cooking away making histamine. Too much histamine can make nearly all CH interventions ineffective.  The best thing to do if an allergic reaction is suspect is to start a week to 10-day course of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours during the day and at bedtime.  Just be careful and not drive as this much Diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day or be sharp as a tac, wait until you're home for the day then take 50 mg as you walk through the door and another 50 mg at bedtime.

Diet is another major factor in response times and has been an important part of this treatment protocol for several years. A proper diet can help reduce the time to respond with a significant reduction in the frequency of CH.  Inflammation and allergic reactions from dietary sources can delay a favorable response to this regimen. 

The dietary culprits responsible for this inflammation and allergic reactions that should be avoided include: All Sugars, Carbohydrates, Artificial Sweeteners, Diet Sodas, Wheat Products & Glutens (bread, pasta, cookies crackers and pizza), High Starch food types like bananas and potatoes, Peanuts and Cashews, Corn and Grain Oils. 

Several studies have found the Atkins-Ketogenic diet effective in reducing the frequency of cluster and migraine headache.  This diet is best started with a 24 to 36 hour fast drinking only water and taking the anti-inflammatory regimen supplements.  This burns up blood starch (glycogen) stored in the liver and in the process, shits the body over to a fat burning metabolism. 

Ketones are produced in the liver and are byproduct of metabolizing fats hence the term ketogenic or keto diet.  In fact, ketones are more efficient than glucose as a source of fuel and provide more energy per unit of oxygen used.  Brain cells metabolize ketones more efficiently than glucose from carbohydrates.

A keto diet, due to its high-fat nature, also leads to an increase of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs, such as DHA and EPA). This, in turn, reduces inflammation as well as oxidant production. PUFAs target inflammatory stress by inhibiting the expression of genes encoding for all pro-inflammatory factors.

Bottom line... If you want the fastest response to the anti-inflammatory regimen, start the Atkins-Ketogenic diet.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #833 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 8:02pm

Peter510 wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:02pm:
Hey Jeremy,

I am a chronic sufferer and when I started the D3 Regimen I was in a very bad way.

It took a full 4/5 weeks before I felt any benefits, but I haven’t looked back since.

Stick with it.

Have you a script for home Oxygen?

Peter.

No oxygen and in between Primary Care Physicians unfortunately and my Neurologist just retired. I can't get into another in his office w/o a referral from my new PCP who won't see me until the end of July.  I plan on asking for a script when I see her then though.  Thanks for the suggestion, definitely in my plans. 
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2019 at 8:03pm by Jeremy365 »  

IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #834 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 8:06pm

Mike NZ wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:13am:
Hi Jeremy

There are multiple sections in the document, e.g. pages 5-7, which detail what might be stopping D3 working, with suggestions on what to change to make a difference. Have you tried any of these suggestions? Which ones? Did they help at all?

Hi Mike,
I had reviewed the document and don't have any allergies to speak of but was doing Benedryl for a few days.   I'm a guy so I'm not pregnant although my brain has felt like it is for the past month.  I'll start back on the Benedryl tonight though.
Thanks for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2019 at 8:10pm by Jeremy365 »  

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #835 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:19pm

Hey everyone. Started a new cycle on 7/2. Been on the D3 program for years, but do get lazy about it at times. I started loading dose immediately and started feeling better until last night. Wow I got hit hard. I do have Oxygen. I had headaches starting at 11pm until  6 am. First hit took me over hour on Oxygen to abort. Then I would fall asleep and hour later get woke up with another headache. These were easier to abort but I must have had 5-6 headaches last night. I don't recall having so many back to back like that. I am using 15LPM and the O2ptimask. The only part of the D-3 regimen I am not currently doing is the Vit K and Mature Multi. I don't take calcium as I fear it will not interact well with Verapamil which I have increased to 480mg since this cycle started. Also I just switched to the Biotech D-3 50 as well. Background...I am 30 year episodic.

Any advice as to how to try and curb this recent outbreak is appreciated.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #836 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 4:58am

Hi and welcome back

With the oxygen, a higher flow rate can help a lot. Does your regulator go higher? Are you using hyperventilation? Are you getting on it as soon as possible after the CH starts?

I'd add the vitamin K to what you're taking as it is one of the components which is used in metabolizing vitamin D3, so that might make a difference.

Have you read through the latest D3 info - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It has a lot of things you can try if D3 isn't working yet. Batch has been updating it with new info based on the feedback he has been getting over the years

With verapamil, whilst most people respond to between 360 and 480mg/day, some go to around 1000mg/day, so there is potential for that to go higher, but working with your doctors.

A good post on verapamil is - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read up, ask questions and hope that your CH is under control soon. Keep us updated.

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #837 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:05am

Greetings,

You won't have to go back very far in this thread to find information about adding Benedryl (diphenhydramine). On the couple of occasions when it seemed like a new episode might be returning, I was successful in stopping it by adding Benedryl. It's cheap and easy to find, but it will probably act like a sleeping aid, so only use it when you don't need to drive,etc. I have used it evenings and overnight with success.
~Patti
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:06am by pattik »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #838 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 1:44pm

Hey Cocktail,

Mike and Patik provided you with some great comments so I'll address a couple other points about the anti-inflammatory regimen.  I'm a chronic CHer and I've taken the cofactors and conutrients illustrated in the following photo since 2011.  I've been CH pain free ever since.

It's important to understand the roles of cofactors and conutrients taken in this regimen.  The cofactors are essential in the pharmacokinetics of vitamin D3 (what the body does to vitamin D3) and its pharmacodynamics (what vitamin D3 does to the body). 

In simple terms, the cofactors play an important role in the hydroxylation of vitamin D3 to its first metabolite 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D3, a.k.a., 25(OH)D (Calcidiol) and hydroxylating 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3 (Calcitriol), the genetically active vitamin D3 metabolite responsible for preventing our CH. 

The cofactors also play an important role in vitamin D3 pharmacodynamics (preventing CH).  For example zinc supports several essential enzymatic processes and is also found in vitamin D receptors (VDR) as a "Zinc Finger" thought to be responsible for attaching molecules of 1,25(OH)2D3 to strands of DNA to initiate genetic expression.  Vitamin A (retinol) forms a dimer (two molecule polymer) with the vitamin D3 metabolite 1,25(OH)2D3 that attaches to a vitamin D3 receptor element (VDRE) to initiate genetic expression.

The essential cofactors are contained in the Kirkland brand Adult 50+ Mature Multi.  This multi-vitamin and mineral supplement is formulated with nearly all the vitamin D3 cofactors we need.  It just doesn't have sufficient magnesium or any vitamin K2 complex which is why I added the 400 mg/day magnesium and the Super K with advanced K2 complex.

The worry about calcium being contraindicated while taking verapamil is over blown.  Cardiologists who prescribe verapamil for their heart patients also suggest  low doses of supplemental calcium to prevent osteopenia/osteoporosis.  Accordingly, the 220 mg of calcium in the Adult 50+ Mature Multi does not pose a problem reducing the effectiveness of verapamil in preventing CH.  It does help prevent osteopenia/osteoporosis, so this is a logical and beneficial rationale for taking the Adult 50+ Mature Multi.  It's likely the verapamil wasn't all that effective in preventing your CH or you wouldn't have started this regimen.

For reference I've had two sequential DEXA scans (Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) for bone mineral density (BMD) 5 years apart since starting the anti-inflammatory regimen and if anything, my BMD has actually improved.

Conutrients are responsible for the same anti-inflammatory and CH pain prevention as vitamin D3 so provide an additive effect to increase the CH preventative capacity of this regimen.  They include the Omega-3 fish oil and Vitamin K2 complex (MK4 & MK7) in the LEF Super K with advanced K2 complex. For a detailed explanation why we need Vitamin K2 MK4, see the following link:

enefits-as-nature-intended/?mc_cid=0fdbba3d66&mc_eid=8c4ce63207

Bottom line, it's best to follow this treatment protocol by taking the cofactors and conutrients illustrated in the photo above by brand and dose.

Regarding the vitamin D3.   I switched from the Nature's Bounty liquid softgel vitamin D3 over to the Bio-Tech D3-50 (50,000 IU water soluble (micellized) form of vitamin D3) in July of 2018 as illustrated in the following photo.

I've found the Bio-Tech D3-50 to be faster acting and more potent at the same dose in terms of elevating and maintaining serum 25(OH)D concentration than the oil-based vitamin D3 formulations.

Here's the bottom line foot stomper (something very important to remember). I took a download from the online survey database of 316 CHers starting this regimen since December of 2011 on the 4th of July.  The overall raw efficacy of this regimen has remained consistent through the end of 2018 with 80% of CHers taking it achieving a significant reduction in the frequency of their CH from an average of 3 CH/day down to an average of 3 CH/week in the first 30 days.

What jumped out of the data I collected on the 4th of July was the raw efficacy (for episodic and chronic CHers) in the first 6 months of 2019.  It jumped to 90% of CHers starting this regimen achieved a significant reduction in the frequency of their CH from an average of 3 CH/day down to an average of 3 CH/week in the first 30 days.

I've done a regression analysis of this 6-months of data looking for any reason for this 10% increase in efficacy to 90% and the only factor I could find was most of these CHers may have started this regimen with the Bio-Tech D3-50.  I say this as all my post about this regimen since July of 2018 have mentioned taking the Bio-Tech D3-50 suggesting to take it instead of the oil-based vitamin D3 formulations. 

I also updated my webpage at VitaminDWiki at the following link in July of 2018 with a photo of the Bio-Tech D3 50 Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I'll take another download of the survey data the end of 2019.  If this trend continues, the efficacy of this regimen in preventing CH is greater than all the other CH prophylaxis combined.

There's another very interesting factoid.  The download rate for the anti-inflammatory regimen CH (and migraine) preventative treatment protocol at the following link Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register has remained constant at 20 to 25 downloads per day since I posted it on my VitaminDWiki webpage 21 Jan 2017 through 28 March of this year.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

within 24 hours of a webinar presentation by Dr. Brian McGreeney, MD, "Boston_Headache_Doc" at Clusterbusters, titled Alternative Treatments for Cluster Headache during the 2019 Migraine World Summit, the download rate for this treatment protocol jumped to 160 downloads a day.  During his webinar presentation, Dr. McGreeney spent 4 minutes discussing the use of vitamin D3 as a user developed and supported, very effective CH preventative. 

The download rate since Dr. McGreeney's webinar presentation has remained at an average of 100 downloads a day.  Between the 3rd of July and the 7th, od July, there were 916 downloads for an average download rate of 229/day.  I think it's safe to say the word about the efficacy of this regimen is getting out.

Given CHers all over the world are aware of this download site at VitaminDWiki, I can only conclude this dramatic increase in the download rate of this treatment protocol is due to migraineurs who watched Dr. McGreeney's webinar presentation at the 2019 Migraine World Summit.  I've additional evidence this is the case as I'm seeing an up-tic in PMs and email from migraineurs since Dr. McGreeney's presentation.  They are now outnumbering CHers.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2019 at 2:06pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #839 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 4:18pm

Thanks for all the info! I went to Costco and grabbed the mature multi and ordered the Vit K. I also took a bunch of RC seeds last night and slept like a baby. Hitting the beast with as much ammo as possible is always my tactic.

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #840 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 1:47pm

I've been on the 50K D3 for 2 weeks now, but only with all the co-factors for a week. The only nights I have had no headaches have been following busting with RC seeds. Had 2 last night, which is better than the 4 I was having. I have also increased Verapamil now to 600mg/day. I have added in Vit C and Turmeric/Curcumin as well in last few days. Should I now start ramping down on the D-3? I am taking the new BioTech 50K D3. Should I start takin it every 3 days now? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #841 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 2:18am

Hey Cocktail,

Sorry to be so slow in responding.  I'm in Pelican, AK fishing.  I've been here since the 12th.

You should have stopped loading after 12 to 14 days.  Taking all the cofactors is very important.  Be sure to see your PCP/GP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH when you've been on this regimen for 30 days.

I'm guessing you're mostly CH pain free by now.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #842 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 4:20pm

Jeremy365 wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 11:15am:
Thanks, Batch.

Is Day 1 of the Days to Respond, Day 1 of Loading Schedule or of the Daily Regimen?

I just completed the 14 day Loading Schedule, however, in Week 2 went 45k IU D3 to compensate for 26 BMI.  Yesterday was my first day of the Daily Regimen.

Haven't noticed any changes, in week 5 of this cluster which has been all over the place in terms of time of headache, intensity, and frequency.

Not on any other meds unfortunately.

So I'm an episodic CH person, my cluster started June 1 (which happens to be National Headache month in the US, someone has a sense of humor  Roll Eyes ).  My clusters usually go 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, finished loading on June 30th (2 week load 50 IU D3 in week 1, 45 IU in week 2).  Pain free since July 13th with the exception of one night that I got boozed up on Happy Juice and that was ugly.

Anyway, I'm doing 10k IU + all cofactors daily w/ dinner + Zyrtek (same as benedryl?) and been good to go for the past 2 weeks basically but on Tuesday night felt a little shadowing and then woke up last night with a minor headache.  It was a cute little guy.

But they seem to be peeking through the D3 or something, I wonder, does anyone require more than 10k IU D3 daily?
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2019 at 4:20pm by Jeremy365 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #843 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:44am

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the update and great question. The starting maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day is just that, a starting dose. If 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 prevents your CH that's great.  However, many of us will require a higher vitamin D3 maintenance dose to remain CH pain free. This is not a problem, just a matter of titrating the vitamin D3 dose until you're CH pain free. (Titrate = increasing the dose incrementally over time...)  For CHers, it's usually 5000 IU vitamin D3 increments every four days when using the oil-based liquid softgel vitamin D3 formulations.

If the CH beast is still trying to jump ugly or just peeping, take two to three days of 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 loading dose then drop back to a new maintenance dose of 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  Be sure to double the magnesium while loading vitamin D3. 

It's best to take 400 mg of magnesium with breakfast and the second 400 mg magnesium with the evening meal.  Doing this helps prevent osmotic diarrhea. 

If you're still having issues with the CH beast, repeat the 2-Day vitamin D3 loading schedule then drop back to a new maintenance dose of 20,000 IU/day vitamin D3.

The incremental vitamin D3 loading schedules follow the same process as illustrated in the following notional graphic of the 12-Day vitamin D3 loading schedule.

Accordingly, it's best to see your PCP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH 30 days after you reach a stable maintenance dose that keeps you CH pain free.  As long as your serum calcium remains within its normal reference range, there's really no problem with your 25(OH)D even if it's well over 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L).

The alternative to what I explained above is to do what I've done and switch vitamin D3 brand/type to the Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble (micellized) vitamin D3.  I've found it to be faster acting and more potent in terms of elevating serum 25(OH)D than the same dose of the oil-based liquid softgel vitamin D3 formulations. 

I buy the Bio-Tech D3-50 from amazon.com or iherb.com whichever has the best price including shipping.

The initial accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule and doses with the Bio-Tech D3-50 are the same 50,000 IU/day for 12 days.  The maintenance dosing is different.  I would start at one (1) Bio-Tech D3-50 capsule a week as the starting maintenance dose.  If the CH beast is still jumping ugly after a week at this dose, drop the interval to six (6) days between doses of the D3-50.  As the Bio-Tech D3 50 is faster acting and more potent at the same dose, there's no need to do incremental loading.

Of course it's best to take the rest of this regimen as illustrated in the following photo and to drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day.

The Kirkland brand Adult 50+ Mature Multi is the most important multi supplement as it contains nearly all the vitamin D3 cofactors needed for the body to metabolize vitamin D3 to its genetically active metabolite 1,25(OH)2D3 and also to aid in genetic expression.  Genetic expression is where a molecule of 1,25(OH)2D3 attaches to DNA to prevent our CH.  The Mature Multi just doesn't have enough magnesium or any vitamin K2 complex which is why we need the extra magnesium and Super K with the K2 complex.. 

The Omega-3 fish oil and vitamin K2 complex are conutrients that have similar properties as vitamin D3 so provide an additive effect to help prevent CH.

I also take 2 grams/day Turmeric (Curcumin) and 4 to 6 grams/day vitamin C.  The preferred type of vitamin C is called liposomal vitamin C.  It is both water and oil soluble so stays in our system longer. I buy it at amazon.

Somewhere in its genetic evolution, the human genome lost the gene that expresses the enzyme that converts carbohydrates and sugars into vitamin C.  The body needs vitamin C to support cell division and many other functions.  To understand more about vitamin C and why it is so important for good health, watch the short Youtube video of Dr. Linus Pauling explain why vitamin C is so important at the following link.

Dr. Pauling had many critics that claimed his theories about vitamin C being needed for good health were crazy.  However, when Pauling died at age 93, he had outlived most of his critics.

Hope all this helps.  Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #844 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 10:10pm

Thanks for your very thorough response, Batch.
I'll report back my results, hopefully this cluster is almost over. 

The good news is that this regime has definitely helped me through this cycle as I've had no other medication.

IP Logged

Jeremy365
CH.com Newbie

Reply #845 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:45am

Received my Vitamin D(25-OH) test results back and I'm at 80.2 NG/ML which is where I would expect and want to be given my daily intake at 10k IU of D3 + recommended cofactors.

Mostly pain free although woke up Tuesday night with a level 2/3 or so headache.  This cluster is now entering it's 9th week which is a little on the long side for me.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #846 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 4:04pm

Jeremy,

Thanks for the update.  Your 25(OH)D response to a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day is on target... but still too low for a complete cessation of all CH symptoms.

Data from the online survey suggest you need a 25(OH)D serum concentration of at least 90 ng/mL for a lasting CH pain free response.  The simple way of elevating your 25(OH)D rapidly is to take a 50,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 for two (2) days.  100,000 IU of vitamin D3 usually results in a gain of 10 ng/mL on top of the existing serum concentration.  You'll also need to increase your vitamin D3 maintenance dose from 10,000 IU/day up to 15,000 IU/day.

V/R, Batcj

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

shokaveli
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #847 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 4:32pm

Hi Batch,

Im new to the forums and site and have been suffering with the beast for about 20 years now (since I was 17) and I'm very excited to try this regimen.  I took a blood test yesterday and awaiting the results for my D levels.  I will post on here with any updates once I start.  I just started my episode of CH about a week ago and its ramping up (lasts about 1-2 months) so Im hoping to possibly see some improvement.  It will also be my first time trying Oxygen therapy as I just got my tank system today (still awaiting my ClusterO2 kit).  Thanks again for all the info!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #848 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 12:41pm

Hey Shokaveli,

Thanks for the headzup you're starting the anti-inflammatory regimen.  I'm in the process of updating the posted version of this treatment protocol on my webpage at VitaminDWiki at the following link with a change in the suggested type/brand of vitamin D3 from the oil-based liquid softgel 5,000 IU vitamin D3 formulations to the Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules.

I and many other CHers have found the Bio-Tech D3-50 to be faster acting with a higher bioequivalence than the liquid softgel formulations at the same dose.  What this means is more CHers respond faster to this treatment protocol.  The following photo illustrates the supplements I take.

You can order these supplements from amazon.com and iherb.com whichever has the best price.  I'd like to point out that at 22 cents per capsule taken once a week, the cost of this form of vitamin D3 is ~ 3 cents/day.  Two of the 5,000 IU liquid softgels cost 12 cents a day.

Dosing with the Bio-Tech D3-50 is different when it comes to the maintenance dose.  I've been taking one (1) of the Bio-Tech D3-50 capsules a week.  I think this is a good starting maintenance dose after the 12-Day accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule illustrated in the following notional graphic.

As you can see, the 12-Day vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for 12 days elevates serum 25(OH)D far more rapidly than just taking a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day which can take a month or more to elevate your 25(OH)D to a therapeutic level capable of preventing your CH.  Taking the 12-Day accelerated loading schedule means you elevate your serum 25(OH)D to a therapeutic level faster for the expected reduction in CH frequency or complete cessation of CH symptoms.

You may need to lower the vitamin D3 maintenance dose following the 30 day labs by adding an additional day or more between doses from one 50,000 IU capsule a week to one capsule every 8, 9 or 10 days.  The key is frequent lab tests until you reach a stable dose and 25(OH)D response as you'll see in the following charts of my labs for 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH over the last 3 years.

My PCP has no problems with my 25(OH)D3 concentrations this high as long as my serum calcium remains within its normal reference range.  As you can see, it has.  It's normal for PTH to be at the low end of its normal reference range when serum 25(OH)D is above 100 ng/mL.  What you need to avoid is taking the PTH eto zero by pushing your 25(OH)D too high like > 190 ng/mL.  Like anything else, if the parathyroid glands sense there's no need to produce the PTH, they will eventually stop expressing this hormone and that would not be good.

Regarding the efficacy of this regimen.  Data from the latest harvest of the online survey of CHers taking this regimen indicate 90% of CHers reporting in the first six months of 2019 are experiencing a significant reduction in the frequency of their CH.  That is up from the year-over-year average of 82%.  I suspect this up-tic in efficacy is due to the Bio-Tech D3-50.  This is a raw efficacy with no corrections for the placebo effect or confounding factors like episodic CHers confusing a favorable response with end of cycle.  For practical purposes, who cares with a raw efficacy of 90%

Take care and please keep us posted with your results after starting the anti-inflammatory regimen.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Daily Dosing VS Larger Less Frequent Dosing
Reply #849 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 4:35pm

Hey Batch et al,

While we're on the subject of larger and less frequent dosing of vitamin D using the Bio-tech, I wanted to ask if you have any experience or opinion regarding keeping the dosing smaller and on a daily basis. It's good to know that the Bio-tech seems to be more efficient compared to the oil-based supplement. And I see that Bio-tech brand also now carries smaller doses. I'm asking this based on an article I recently read from Grassroots Health regarding the Autocrine/Paracrine pathway for D to support the immune system.

"...vitamin D is also delivered directly to all tissues of the body. Many of these tissues, such as breast, colon, prostate, and brain, can convert vitamin D to its active form within the tissue. It is through this process that vitamin D can help enable the cells to fight against infections, disease, and autoimmune disorders." And.."Vitamin D3 has a half-life in the autocrine system of roughly 24 hours, so in order for it to have a meaningful impact on cellular functions, you need a new supply of it every day."

This would suggest a good reason to keep the dosing daily in smaller amounts for those of us looking for the other benefits of vitamin D.

Just food for thought.  Smiley

Patti

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2019 at 8:36am by pattik »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!