Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 
Send Topic Print
Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey (Read 239859 times)
The Thinker
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Anti-Inflammatory Vitamin D3 Regimen and Survey
Reply #875 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:11pm

Hi Batch - thanks very much for the reply here, the sharing of this information is important - it is a complex process to try and explain to someone in plain English, I know as much as I tried to do it last night at a Toastmasters meeting during a 22 minute keynote presentation.

I think the reason I, amongst others, didn't try the regimen to begin with is because I put it in the too hard basket although; now, the process of explaining the regimen has become relatively easy and part of the reason for that is your thorough responses - I like to understand stuff, a trait I've found many of us don't share, rightly or wrongly.

Most of the mistakes I see people make here in New Zealand is either not taking the loading dose (in particular if they get caught in cycle) or as their blood panels are reported in nmol/l, they don't realize a conversion needs to take place to read their labs correctly - i.e. their levels haven't been elevated high enough.

If you'll please just humour me so I "really get it", whilst in cluster headache cycle, a precipitating factor (we don't know what) causes cells in the TG to express powerful vasoactive neuropeptides, including CGRP, and it is this CGRP, SP, VIP amongst other constituents that triggers the resulting neuroinflammation in the trigeminal nerve and surrounding blood vessels, what we know as a cluster attack.

And... when D3, cholecalciferol, is metabolized at high enough serum concentrations, (80-120ng/ml), the active metabolite, 1,25(OH)D3 - calcitriol, enters the cells in the TG and attach to the receptor proteins that have been produced by the cells ribozomes to enter the neurons on DNA within the cells nucleus to effect a change to the transcription of the genes which regulate the expression of the neuropeptides, in this case - down-regulation.

So... in respect of my question, ribosomes, the little cell factories, consume enzymes that are available from within the cell in the process of manufacturing what is transcribed on the mRNA from within the cells nucleus?

And in doing this, those enzymes need to be replenished through the regular intake of essential vitamins and minerals, and whilst the overall process may be more complicated than this, this is the reason that you need to keep taking to cofactors?

As for the advice, thank-you SIR. I am currently reading the brain-gut-biome axis, this book is intriguing to say the very least however I am thankful that a lot of the terminology in learning about the cluster condition has been very helpful in grasping some of the concepts that the book is discussing. I will look into the links you have provided and extend my thanks for taking the time to offer such a thorough reply.

Best regards,
TT - Craig.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:13pm by The Thinker »  

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #876 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:33am

Hi Batch,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed some light on a question I have about conflicting D3 lab results.

I had spiked my D3 level for knee replacement surgery up to 140 ng/ml. in 2019 (via Grass Roots lab's home test). Afterwards,  I dropped my dose back to 10,000 mg/day, and retested with Grassroots November 2020--results 109 ng/ml.

I'm aiming to get back down to the 80-90 ng/ml level without disturbing the CH monster, but I also plan to keep daily  dosing for my immune system. So after the 109 result in November, I dropped from 10K/day to 3K/day, then got tested in my local clinic  just 8 weeks later.  My local clinic blood draw test came in at 134 ng/ml even after two months of greatly reduced daily dose, and nothing about my lifestyle or eating habits changed.

Any ideas of why the 109 vs 134 discrepancy, and which one might be the most accurate? I know there are different types of lab tests, and I want to make my dosing decisions based on accuracy.

Thanks.

Patti

IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #877 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 3:38pm

Hi Batch,

I am delivering a question on behalf of few finnish cluster headache patients. They have developed kidney stones and have been told by their doctor they might be caused by additional Vitamin D (our online health library at terveyskirjasto.fi also says this). Is this true and if it is, even partially, is there something people using supplemental vitamin D could do to decrease their chances of developing kidney stones except drinking lot of water ? I don't know have all of them been doing anti-inflammatory regimen correctly or have they been cherry picking just Vitamin D.

Thank you for all that you do !  Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #878 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 9:22am

Hey Tony,

Great question.  The most common form of kidney stones contain high levels of calcium oxalate salts.  Available open source literature on this topic indicate poor hydration (not drinking enough water), not taking enough magnesium, calcium, vitamin K2 (all part of the anti-inflammatory regimen) and eating foods high in oxalates are common factors in kidney stones.  See the following link for details.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The following vitamindwiki.com link provides a lot of good information on the relationship between vitamin D3 and the incidence of kidney stones

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As you'll see in reading through the many studies and papers available in this link, there is no clear consensus that increased vitamin D3 increased kidney stones.  Basically, you be the judge reading the information contained in this webpage

I've not seen any studies that conclusively linked higher levels of serum vitamin D3 as a causal factor in the incidence of kidney stones.  There is, however a study titled 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in the Range of 20 to 100 ng/mL and Incidence of Kidney Stones by Nguyen et al., at the following link.  This study concludes "a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level of 20 to 100 nanograms per milliliter (50 to 250 nmol/L) has no significant association with kidney stone incidence."

I might add that in the 10 year history of the online survey of 323 CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with all its vitamin D3 cofactors, there have been no reports of kidney stones as a result of taking this regimen.

Hope this helps answer your question. You've a very unique group of CHers there in Finland, many of whom also suffer from migraine headache or another of the TAC headaches at significantly higher rates than here in the US.  When you consider half of Finland lies above the Arctic Circle making the generation of cutaneous vitamin D3 next to impossible due to the lack of sunlight, supplemental vitamin D3 and foods high in vitamin D3 become essential in order to maintain normal calcium homeostasis.

Take care and please keep us posted. 

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #879 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 8:08am

Hey Pattik,

Excellent question and one that has baffled many CHers (including some of their PCPs/neurologists) when they read assay results of their 25(OH)D3 serum concentrations from different labs.  The reason for the differential in 25(OH)D3 assay results from different medical diagnostic labs is due to the different assay methods they use.

There are four different automated assay methods for serum 25(OH)D3.  They include Chemiluminescence Immunoassays (CLIA), Radioimmunoassy (RIA), High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and the Liquid Chromatography-tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) methods.  All four will produce different 25(OH)D3 serum concentration measurements from the same blood draw. 

The two most common automated systems used to assay 25(OH)D3 serum concentrations are the DiaSorin LIAISON RIA and LC-MS/MS assay. 25(OH)D3 serum concentrations measured by the LC-MS/MS assay method are consistently much higher than those measured by the DiaSorin LIAISON RIA assay method, with a mean difference of 12.9 ng/ml.  The bottom line lesson learned here is stick with the same diagnostic lab for your 25(OH)D3 assays.

The first assay of my serum 25(OH)D3 at my PCP's office was done by LabCorp.  They used the DiaSorin LIAISON RIA assay method. I had already obtained a home blood spot test kit assay from Grassrootshealth a week earlier at 130 ng/mL.  This blood spot 25(OH)D3 assay uses the LC-MS/MS assay method so I expected the 25(OH)D3 assay from LabCorp to be at a slightly lower serum concentration, but was surprised when it came back at 110 ng/mL, 20 ng/mL lower. 

My PCP went into the panic mode with his knickers in a wad and told me to stop taking vitamin D3 immediately as my 25(OH)D3 was over 100 ng/mL.  I asked if they had done the calcium and PTH labs as I had asked and the answer was no.

I had been loading vitamin D3 at the time to get through a heavy pollen fall that had triggered an allergic reaction a year earlier with a return of my CH at a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration of 90 ng/mL.  I knew from previous 25(OH)D3 burn down tests I could coast without any vitamin D3 for a while so stopped taking vitamin D3 for 30 CH pain free days then went back to my PCP for another set of labs only this time I made sure the Rx script called for serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH.  I also had my PCP cut an identical script for these same lab tests at the Quest Diagnostics collection facility across the parking lot from my PCP's office.

I had the blood draw at my PCPs office by LabCorp then walked across the parking lot for another blood draw at Quest Diagnostics 5 minutes later.  When LabCorp posted my lab results, my 25(OH)D3 assay. was 97 ng/mL and my PCP was all smiles.  When he downloaded the results from Quest Diagnostics, my 25(OH)D3 assay was 117 ng/mL.  My PCP's smile turned to a frown as he looked at the results in dismay.  I explained the 20 ng/mL differential was due to the different assay methods. 

My PCP remarked, that he had no idea the differential could be that high between the two assay methods, but was still concerned my 25(OH)D3 was still too high.  That's when I asked for the serum calcium assay and told him if it was well within its normal reference range, there's no hypercalcemia therefor, no vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity so no need to stop taking vitamin D3.  The serum calcium assay was well within its normal reference range. 

Long story made short, after educating my PCP on lab tests for serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH and their interpretation, he now has no problem with my 25(OH)D3 being well above 100 ng/mL at a mean of 150 ng/mL and as high as 188 ng/mL as long as my serum calcium remains within its normal reference range.  As you'll see in the following 3-year chart of my labs for 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH, it has.

That said, I can see why the 109 vs 134 discrepancy you've reported is so perplexing. You're correct in expecting a 25(OH)D3 assay less than 109 ng/mL after 8 weeks taking 3000 IU/day vitamin D3.  I would have the same expectation. 

The reasons for this discrepancy can include, but are not limited to, the difference between automated 25(OH)D3 assay systems as discussed above, errors in assay measurements (they do occur), changes in immune system activity that change the rate of 25(OH)D3 consumption, changes in the rate of vitamin D3 hydroxylation to 25(OH)D3 and changes in the rate of 24-Hydroxylation which takes vitamin D3 and 25(OH)D3 out of the bloodstream.

At this point, I doubt we can make a determination of why this discrepancy occurred.  What I can say is the only real value of the 25(OH)D3 assay is its relationship to your CH status that I call the 25(OH)D3 serum concentration CH Threshold.  Moreover, the 25(OH)D3 serum concentration cannot and should not be used as an indication of vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity.  Only the calcium serum concentration should be used to make this determination.

The more important assays are serum calcium and PTH as they provide an important indication of calcium homeostasis (how the body controls serum calcium in a very narrow range).  In short, as long as you're CH pain free and your serum calcium remains within its normal reference range, whatever vitamin D3 dose you're taking is safe and the actual 25(OH)D3 serum concentration is meaningless.

In response to which assay method is more accurate? the LC-MS/MS has pretty much become the gold standard.

Now back to you thinking your serum 25(OH)D3 assay is too high and that you want to lower the vitamin D3 maintenance dose.  My first question is What was your calcium serum concentration?  From my experience and reports from many other CHers, trying to lower 25(OH)D3 serum concentration with lower doses of vitamin D3 while CH pain free with normal calcium serum concentrations is not wise.  Here's why.

We all have a 25(OH)D3 cluster headache threshold serum concentration. At or below that 25(OH)D3 serum concentration, the CH beast jumps ugly.  When our actual 25(OH)D3 serum concentration is higher than this threshold, we remain CH pain free. 

I developed the anti-inflammatory regimen based on a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day knowing there would be variations in the 25(OH)D3 response and that most adults taking this much vitamin D3 would have a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration higher than their CH threshold. 

Baseline 25(OH)D3 assays from the online survey of 313 CHers with active bouts of CH before start of regimen are illustrated in the following normal distribution plot.  It indicates a maximum 25(OH)D3 serum concentration of 47 ng/mL (117.5 nmol/L).   Accordingly, we can use this 25(OH)D3 serum concentration as a reasonable estimate of the lower boundary of the CH threshold serum concentration range.  I should point out that a CHer found his 25(OH)D3 CH threshold serum concentration was 162 ng/mL working with his PCP and having frequent 25(OH)D3 assays. 

The following normal distribution chart of 25(OH)D3 lab results reported in the online survey of 257 CHers reporting a favorable CH response ≥ 30 days after starting the anti-inflammatory regimen is a classic example of variations in the 25(OH)D3 response to a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day between individual CHers. 

If you consider the 1 sigma (Standard Deviation) of 30 ng/mL about the mean of 80 ng/mL, you have 66% of CHers taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 with a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration between 50 ng/mL and 120 ng/mL.

Look at a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration above the CH threshold as a safety margin or head space to guard against fluctuations in the CH threshold and actual 25(OH)D3 serum concentrations as they both can and do fluctuate.  The following notional graphic illustrates the CH threshold 25(OH)D3 serum concentration in red and the actual 25(OH)D3 serum concentration in green.

As depicted, there are always fluctuations in both serum concentrations and theses fluctuations are highest during an immune system response.  The immune system response can be due to an allergic reaction to toxins, pollen, mold spores or diet, other Rx medications, infections (bacterial, viral and fungal), trauma and surgery.  If these two 25(OH)D3 serum concentrations meet or overlap, the CH beast jumps ugly.  The greater the overlap, the worse the CH beast jumps ugly.

Sooo...  the bottom line suggestion follows.  If you remain CH pain free at a vitamin D3 maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day and your calcium serum concentration remains within its normal reference range, declare success and don't change a thing no matter where your 25(OH)D3 serum concentration plots out.  In short, stick with the age old addage/aphorism - If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2021 at 8:14am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #880 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:51am

Batch...THANK YOU !!!! Your in depth description of the different assays is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. While I may tackle the several calls it will probably take to find out which test my local lab uses, I may try, just for academic purposes.

Both my calcium and PTH levels have consistently been normal--the last calcium was 9.3 mg/dl in the lab's range of  8.4 - 10.5 mg/dL. My doc understands the importance of this, and didn't freak out. But he still want's my levels to come down.

I agree 100% that the ultimate standard is whatever keeps the CH away. 10,000 IU's/day of D3 has been a good dosage for me for a long time, and I expect that not to change.

BTW, my knee surgeon said my recovery was "remarkable", and I can skip the next follow up appointment. I won't need to get checked for 3 more years.

Thank you again for all the time you took for your in-depth response to my question. It's bookmarked!  Smiley

Take care,
Patti

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #881 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 3:51pm

Hey Patti,

Thank you for the kind words and feedback on healing so fast after knee surgery.  Loading vitamin D3 before any surgery should be SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and you just provided the reason why.  We've seen this wonderful benefit from loading with vitamin D3 and its cofactors before elective surgery time and time again so it's not a one-time fluke.

The anti-inflammatory regimen is also proving effective in preventing serious infection with the Wuhan (SARS-CoV-2) Corona virus a.k.a., COVID-19.  My niece, who has been taking the anti-inflammatory regimen since 2012 for health purposes, had a brush with the Wuhan virus and skated through the infection with fewer symptoms than the common cold.  Mild aches and pains (malaise), a temp of 101º F for two days and four days with a dry tickle cough.  She was asymptomatic and feeling just fine a week after the first symptoms hit. 

She also started the immune boosting strategy the day she found out she had been exposed to the Wuhan virus, two days before the first symptoms, when a friend she had been visiting called to say she had just tested positive with the RT-PCR assay for the Wuhan virus. 

My niece started loading with the Bio-Tech D3-50, took 50 mg zinc picolinate twice a day, 1000 mg/day Quercetin and 6 grams/day vitamin C divided in equal doses three times a day.  All this on top of her usual anti-inflammatory regimen.   She tested positive for the Wuhan virus antibodies last week so I sent her one of the GrassrootsHealth home blood spot test kits so we can get her 25(OH)D3 assay.

I've another dear friend and his wife, who both take a very similar vitamin D3 regimen.  When his wife felt the symptoms of the Wuhan virus, a mild malaise and low grade temp, she started the immune boosting strategy with a twist.  In stead of loading at 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 with the Bio-Tech D3-50 she started loading vitamin D3 with 40,000 IU/day of Micro D3.
Micro D3 is a liquid nano emulsion of vitamin D3 that has roughly twice the bioequivalence of the same dose of Bio-Tech D3-50 if it's kept in the mouth and swirled between cheek & gums and under the tongue for a buccal/sublingual application for one minute. 

This method of vitamin D3 dosing bypasses the GI tract enabling vitamin D3 to enter the bloodstream in higher concentrations in seconds as opposed to hours.  My friend's wife said the cold-like symptoms and low grade temp started dissipating within a few hours of the Micro D3 loading dose.  She was asymptomatic 5 days after the first symptoms.

Clearly, the Micro D3 will find its way into the update to the anti-inflammatory regimen CH and MH preventative treatment protocol.  I've already added a section on the Immune Boosting Strategy.  Now if I can just find the time to clean up the working draft and post it online at VitaminDWiki.com.

Take care and thanks again for the kind words.  They mean a lot to me.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #882 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 5:00pm

Batch, thank you so much again - now I can refer to your reply every time kidney stones may be brought up. Thanks to you, remarkable amount of finnish cluster headache patients are living a pain free life.

And yes, we are vitamin D deficient as a nation due to our country's location - vitamin D is added to our food. This is why it is sometimes odd that using supplemental vitamins is not well known in our healthcare.

Best regards to you from 2000 clusterheads in Finland that have an access to anti-inflammatory regimen !

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #883 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:00am

Hey Tony,

Please pass my regards to the wonderful CHers in Finland.  They are second in total participation in the online survey of CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent their CH and Migraines.

Here's a very interesting article on the safety of vitamins.

> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Throughout the entire year, coast to coast across the entire USA, there was not one single death from a vitamin. If vitamin supplements are allegedly so "dangerous," as the FDA, the news media, and even some physicians still claim, then where are the bodies?

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:00am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #884 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 11:15am

Hi Batch,

It's me again with more questions Smiley

I wanted to ask you what are possible downsides for people taking only vitamin D and not other vitamins and co-factors in anti-inflammatory regimen ? That happens a lot here in Finland. My guess for usual daily vitamin D amount is around 8000IU - among cluster patients.

We keep repeating it in our patient groups that everything in regimen is there for a reason. Many pause doing regimen when they are in remission but keep taking only vitamin D since defiency is so usual here.

There are people who have been taking only vitamin D and not cofactors for years.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #885 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 2:29am

I for 1 only take vitamin D have been for years.

Mark.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #886 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 6:44pm

Hey Tony,

Good question.  There is more than ample medical evidence that the 25(OH)D3 response to dose of vitamin D3 is significantly improved when the basic cofactors/co-nutrients are taken daily along with vitamin D3.  Moreover, the sought after response by taking the anti-inflammatory regimen of a cessation of CH or significant reduction in CH frequency also improves when taking the vitamin D3 cofactors/co-nutrients.

One of the most important cofactors is magnesium as it is consumed rapidly by the enzymatic processes that hydroxylate vitamin D3 to 25(OH)D3 and on to 1,25(OH)2D3 Calcitriol.  This is particularly important at vitamin D3 doses of 10,000 IU/day and higher.  If magnesium is not replenished at these vitamin D3 doses, we experience a calcium magnesium imbalance with too much calcium and not enough magnesium.  Our muscles require calcium to constrict and magnesium to relax.  Without sufficient magnesium we experience muscle cramps.

Leg cramps can be problematic at night while trying to sleep.  However, when this calcium-magesium imbalance with too little magnesium affects the heart with a galloping sensation in your chest, it gets your attention instantly.

The GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute has an excellent paper on the vitamin D3 Cofactors/Co-Nutrients.  The following is a section from that paper covering Magnesium and Vitamin K2.

What Are Co-Nutrients?
Previously, we have discussed how a lack of key vitamin D co-nutrients can keep vitamin D levels from rising. What are co-nutrients and how are they important for vitamin D levels?

Cofactors/Co-nutrients are nutrients that work together for some process. If one co-nutrient is limited, either missing or not plentiful enough, then the process might also be limited. For example, your body needs magnesium to process and use vitamin D; without sufficient magnesium, the amount of vitamin D that can be metabolized by your body is limited.

Some examples of nutrients that seem to have an influence on vitamin D levels can be seen below. In the first chart, using the data provided for the GrassrootsHealth study from almost 3,000 participants with supplemental magnesium and vitamin K2 information, we plotted every participant’s supplemental vitamin D intake (dose) and blood level (response) and determined the average trends for participants who reported taking no supplemental magnesium or vitamin K2, those who reported usually taking both supplemental magnesium and vitamin K2, and those who reported taking only one or the other.

Magnesium and Vitamin K2 On average, those taking both supplemental magnesium and vitamin K2 have a higher vitamin D level for any given vitamin D intake amount than those taking either supplemental magnesium or vitamin K2 or neither. Specifically, 244% more supplemental vitamin D was needed for 50% of the population to achieve 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) for those not taking supplemental magnesium or vitamin K2 compared to those who usually took both supplemental magnesium and vitamin K2.

Vitamin D Dose-Response by Magnesium and Vitamin K2 Intake

Magnesium. On average, those taking more supplemental magnesium have a higher vitamin D level for any given vitamin D intake amount than those taking less supplemental magnesium. Specifically, 146% more supplemental vitamin D was needed for 50% of the population to achieve 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) for those not taking supplemental magnesium compared to those who took 400 mg/day or more.

Vitamin D Dose-Response by Magnesium Intake

Vitamin K2  On average, those taking supplemental vitamin K2 have a higher vitamin D level for any given vitamin D intake amount than those not taking supplemental vitamin K2. Specifically, 115% more supplemental vitamin D was needed for 50% of the population to achieve 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) for those not taking supplemental vitamin K2 compared to those who took 200 mcg/day or more. The trend lines for both supplemental vitamin K2 intake amounts (1-199 and 200+ mcg/day) were similar.

Vitamin D Dose-Response by Vitamin K2 Intake

Other Vitamin D Co-Nutrients
A lack of other key vitamin D co-factors, such as zinc and boron, can reduce vitamin D absorption as well as limit the genetic expression made possible by vitamin D3 in preventing CH. Other co-nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin A (Retinol) are needed to promote the vitamin D3 enabled genetic expression that help prevent CH.

Some drugs including statins, prednisone and weight-loss drugs can block the hydroxylation of vitamin D3 and limit its role in genetic expression that helps prevent CH.

There are other important reason to take the anti-inflammatory regimen with all the vitamin D3 cofactors:

This combination of vitamins and mineral is one of the most important things we can take to boost our immune systems and prepare them to fight off COVID-19 infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  Vitamin C is a great antioxidant and it's also a potent antiviral that kills cold and flu virus on contact.  Accordingly, there is good reason to expect some of these cofactors/co-nutrients will help kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus as well. 

The following graphics tell the story better than any thing I could say

The vitamin C (ascorbic acid) serum concentration needs to be maintained as high as possible with frequent dosing throughout the day to provide this protection.  As vitamin C is water soluble, any excess not taken up by cells is dumped over the side in urine.

Zinc physically blocks the SARS-CoV-2 virus from gaining entry to cells lining the lung's alveoli by blocking the ACE 2 receptors on these cells. When combined with Quercetin which acts as an ionophor, zinc ions are able to enter cell cytoplasm where they block virus replication.  Vitamin D3 does its thing strengthening our immune system cells and mediates the immune response that has been found to run overtime during COVID-19 infections causing massive buildups of T-Lymphocytes (Killer T-Cells) in the lungs that have been physically eating cells infected and killed by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Since February of 2020 following the outbreak of COVID -19 pandemic there have been over 30 studies and RCTs concluding vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is a potent antiviral agent that has proven beneficial in treating and helping to prevent COVID-19.  A review of available open source papers indicate 3000 mg/day (3 grams/day) ascorbic acid is the minimum dose needed.  After making a post to that effect, I received a few posts from people tell me they get all the vitamin C they need eating an orange a day.

You'll get nearly 70 mg of vitamin C from a medium orange.  That means you would need to eat 43 oranges to get the needed 3000 mg of ascorbic acid to help prevent COVID-19.  I buy bulk powdered Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) at $20/Kg so 3 grams of vitamin C costs me 6 cents/day.  At $1.31 per pound, a 13 ounce orange costs a dollar.  You can do the math on eating enough oranges to obtain 3 grams of vitamin C a day if it didn't kill you eating that many oranges.

Bottom line, if a CHer is just taking vitamin D3 and not taking the suggested cofactors/co-nutrients, the CHer cannot in all honesty claim this regimen didn't work to control his or her CH.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #887 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 5:41pm

BUMP

IP Logged

ALobb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #888 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:05pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for providing such invaluable tips over the years. I’ve experienced daily shadows for the last eight months having previously suffered 5-week annual episodes for almost 30 years. Am fearful I’ve become chronic. I began the vitamin D regimen in late 2020 and it works for me. I also follow a low histamine diet (which is ridiculously restrictive but effective) and take antihistamine (loratadine) and mast cell blockers, ketotifen and famotidine. While all this helps prevent full blown attacks, I can’t seem to shake the beast altogether, and the shadows are infuriating.

My diet and mast cell treatment were recommended earlier this year by a brilliant medic - the first I've ever consulted who "joined the dots" in relation to my multiple health conditions (seemingly inexplicable allergies, vitiligo, recurrent UTIs and clusters). He concluded that I have mast cell activation syndrome - I now call him "Sherlock Holmes”! Head of Urogynaecology at a top London hospital, he knew a great deal about the anti-inflammatory properties of vit d and about the impact of histamine on inflammatory conditions. This was an indescribable relief as NONE of the medics I've seen in the past have even wanted to discuss the anti-inflammatory regimen, and clearly know nothing about these things in relation to clusters). However, as I had breast cancer a decade ago and endometrial cancer earlier this year, he has warned me that I'm high risk for osteoporosis and is therefore nervous about my vit d levels rising above 150 nmol/L. At the moment they’re 185 and I think they need to be around 215 to suppress the pain. I’ve also had to ditch the quercetin which, along with the regimen, was reducing my twelve-hour shadows to a 5-second daily twinge. Quercetin is a phytoestrogen so increases my risk of a breast cancer recurrence.

I’d be hugely grateful for any information you can provide re the vit d regimen and osteoporosis risk.

A couple of side notes: I’m getting extremely red eyes mornings and evenings often when an attack is on the way. In the past, I’ve had red veins in my right eye during an attack, but nothing in both eyes. Also, I’ve recently noticed I’m sometimes able to abort the shadows and unblock my nostril by stretching my neck and pulling my shoulders back. I’ve wondered whether this ongoing episode is due to the poor posture I’ve developed while working from home during the pandemic. I’d be interested to know whether many others have become chronic this year.

Any info you can provide will be gratefully received!

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #889 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 5:24pm

ALobb wrote on Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:05pm:
Hi all,

I’d be hugely grateful for any information you can provide re the vit d regimen and osteoporosis risk.

Greetings!
Congratulations on finding a decent medic. Not an easy task. Regarding your osteoporosis question...since vitamin D3 supplementation frees up calcium, higher blood levels can require adding vitamin K2 to your regimen. This helps to put that calcium back into the bones where it belongs. The consensus I have been reading suggests that the MK-7 form of vitamin K2 does the best job for this, and has the longest half-life. There are many good brands available. I'm currently using the NOW brand (100 mcg/day) when I'm taking higher doses during my allergy season. Vitamin K is not recommended if you are on blood thinners, since it has some blood coagulation properties. Seasonal allergies are a big trigger for me, and I'm experimenting with lowering my D3 dosage during non-allergy times-also skipping the MK-7 during the lower dosing. Research MK-7 and see if it might be helpful for increasing your blood levels safely.

Take care,
Patti

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #890 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:04am

I'm now using smarter nutrition plant based vitamin D3, 5000iu twice/day, which includes K2 complex in a vegetarian softgel, together with the other cofactors, which is keeping the beast at bay for me.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:15am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AdamCF
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #891 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 10:06am

Do you have to take all the vitamins or can you just do the D3?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #892 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 11:36pm

Yes! you need to take all the cofactors together with the vitamin D for the regiment to have any chance of working, except for those marked with a * in the regiment, and it's a lifetime commitment.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

ALobb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #893 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 8:47am

Wondering whether someone can help me. I've realised I need my D3 levels to be above 200 nmol/l to keep the beast at bay. I had my blood tested last week and the results were as follows:
Vit D3 222 nmol/l
Calcium 2.50 nmol/l
Intact parathyroid hormone 7.95 pmol/l (normal range 1.6-6.9)
Does anyone know why the PTH might be higher than normal and whether this could be having an impact on my headaches? FYI the blood tests I had at the beginning of this month showed the PTH was only 2.54 pmol/l. Any advice would be gratefully received. 
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2021 at 9:07am by ALobb »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #894 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 12:35pm

Hey ALobb,

Sorry to be so slow in responding.  For starters, I'm not a doctor so you need to discuss your elevated PTH with your PCP/GP who will likely arrange for a consult with an endocrinologist. 

Regarding your question about CH continuing with a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration of 222 nmol/mL (88.8 ng/mL), the answer is it's likely too low to prevent your CH.  Lab data for 25(OH)D3 from the study of 313 CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to successfully prevent their CH are illustrated in normal distribution curves at baseline and ≥30 days after start of treatment.

As you can see the mean 25(OH)D3 serum concentration among CHers responding to this treatment protocol with a significant reduction in the frequency of their CH is 80 ng/mL (200 nmol/mL).  That said, half of these 313 CHers required a higher 25(OH)D3 serum concentration up to 180 ng/mL (450 nmol/mL) to achieve a CH pain free response. 

The following graphic is the 4-Year chart of my labs for serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH.  As you'll see, I've maintained a 25(OH)D3 serum concentration of 150 ng/mL (375 nmol/mL) and much higher since 2018 to remain CH pain free. During the 2021 March - May time frame, an immune system response to heavier than normal pollen had me titrating my 25(OH)D3 serum concentration response with progressively higher maintenance doses of vitamin D3.  By mid May I was taking 80,000 IU/day (560,000 IU/week) to remain CH pain free.  That elevated my 25(OH)D3 serum concentration up to 277 ng/mL (692.5 nmol/mL).

Getting back to your elevated PTH serum concentration, the four parathyroid glands are the primary controller of serum calcium in a process called calcium homeostasis. This is a powerful mechanism that maintains serum calcium in a very narrow range, 8.5 to 10.3 mg/dL (2.1 to 2.5 mmol/L).

When serum calcium is low, the parathyroids sense this condition and release more parathyroid hormone (PTH).  This signals the kidneys to hydroxylate more serum 25(OH)D3 to 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol, the genetically active hormonal form of vitamin D3.  The additional 1,25(OH)2D3 in turn pulls more calcium from the gut and if the supply there is low, it pulls it from bones to elevate serum calcium.

When the PTH serum concentration is above its normal reference range of 14 to 64 pg/mL (1.6 to 6.9 pmol/L) the condition is called hyperparathyroidism. Accordingly, as your intact PTH is 7.95 pmol/L, you need to see your PCP or an endocrinologist to determine the cause and corrective actions.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

ALobb
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #895 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 4:56am

Many thanks, Batch. I will certainly keep you updated.

IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #896 - Oct 26th, 2021 at 2:23pm

Glad to see this is still here as a resource and still helping folks.  I think it saved my life.  My CH episodes are rare these days.  Hope everyone finds peace and PF vibes!

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

lagoon
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #897 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 11:08am

Did anyone experience rancid odour like that of ammonia or dead fish coming from bottle of nature made magnesium brand. Smell is really bad which can't be tolerated. Really scared to consume these. Please help

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #898 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 8:04am

Any oder coming from Nature Made Magnesium is a bad batch.  Don't take any.  Take it back to the seller and ask for a new free bottle.  If the seller refuses send an email to Nature Made with the same complaint.  No joy, switch brands.

Take care

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

The Thinker
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #899 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 2:33pm

Hello all. This thread is just full of fascinating information!

I am pleased to share the interview with Pete Batcheller, aka Batch - it explains so much of what is discussed in the above thread.

In this interview we go through what it is, how it works, what to do if it doesn't work, questions about supplementation, we discuss each of the co-factors, safety considerations, testing etc.

Whether you are new here or use D3 daily, there will be something of interest for you.

Personally this regimen worked amazingly for me and I have forever worked to understand the mechanism of action and to share this important information with others.

Interview here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2022 at 2:33pm by The Thinker »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!