Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
National Geographic special (Read 10715 times)
Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
National Geographic special
Jan 15th, 2012 at 6:06pm

The National Geographic special airs TONIGHT!
Drugs, Inc . Hallucinogens
"Medicinal Magic Mushrooms"
"Relief From Debilitating Cluster Headaches Saved One Man's Life"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I want to thank everyone involved in making this happen. Of course major kudos to Dan and his family.
Working with Nat Geo and the producers on this has been a great experience. The producers took this story and cluster headaches in general very seriously and were interested in learning much more than they needed to shoot this. A great bunch of caring people.
Having dealt with the media on this for years now, that is not always the case.

There were a couple of reasons this film was made. One was that Nat Geo took an interest in our story and cared about the lives of the people that deal with clusters.
Secondly, the first film they shot which detailed our work with BOL, was one of the most viewed specials they ever had. The followup interest was inspiring them to tell more of the story.

I would ask everyone that can, please watch the show. Please ask others you may know, to watch the show. The more TVs tuned to this show, the more the likely hood that NG will return to us for followups.

thanks, everyone,
Bob

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: National Geographic special
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 6:47pm

I did not know about this. Thanks Bob for the heads up. I will send an email to others letting them know.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 7:22pm

Got your e-mail Jimi.  I'll be watching it for sure. 

Thanks for the heads-up Bob

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:28am

From watching the brief segment of the show, it's obvious that it's a really well written and produced documentary.

Watch the segment at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I just wish I could see it here in New Zealand.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 8:05am

I missed the TV broadcast but watched Mike's link. Thanks Mike.
Bob, the message was powerful and well done. Thank you for all you've done for us.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:44am

Geezz... that was powerful...

Thanks to Dan for doing the special and thanks to NatGeo for airing it.

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Matt Miller
CH.com Junior

This too shall pass...

NW Arkansas
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 12:02pm

I just saw this last night and am very impressed with how the entire segment was done. A big thank you to Dan and his family for letting the the world in on our daily battle with the beast.

I'm not entirely sure I would have been able to let a camera crew in on my attacks, i have a hard enough time if my family sees an attack.

I enjoyed the other segments as well...so much we don't understand about the human mind!

IP Logged

MeL
CH.com Junior

Carpe Diem!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:51pm

I was mid-attack, rocking on the couch and I heard someone mention "Cluster Headache" on TV.  I watched in amazement and started crying, because at that moment, I knew I wasn't alone.  He changed my life that night.  I called my husband to come watch it with me and my quest to be the best "Pain-Free" me started. 

Thank you Dan.  You showed my husband I'm not crazy ... and you showed me I am NOT ALONE.   Grin

If we don't take care of ourselves, who will?

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 9:55pm

Saw it, thanks Dan your a good rep....

IP Logged

CHsRtheDeviL
CH.com Junior

Kill The Beast!!!

Downers Grove
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 12:37am

I've also tried the magic mushrooms to help stop my cluster headaches it didn't have any effect as I was in a cycle already.  I never read anywhere about taking them every 2 months.  And what was he eating just one capsule of those?  The major problem with this is that there illegal and I'm not about to order some spores online and have the cops come bargin in my door one day.

The video was about the Magic Mush an cluster headaches right?  Or did I watch some wrong video?

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 11:39am

Somehow I missed this. I watched the link though. Great program, not sure that I could let someone film me having an attack.

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:54pm

dose anyone know when and if this is going to be broadcast in the uk ?

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 4:07pm

I've just noticed that this program is on nat gio at 10pm tonight in the UK .

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

IP Logged

Glen conley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Kingman arizonia
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:09pm

People who have never had a ch still have know idea how bad the pain is. If someone was swinging a 9 iron against the side of there head should be somewhat close. I felt sick to my stomach after watching it  Cry

IP Logged

martijn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:02pm

Hi,

I'm a regular guy from the Netherlands without CH. I just happened to watch the special and was very moved. I started to search and found the forum.

Living in the Netherlands one has easy access to drugs. About seventeen years ago as a student i regularly used strong cannabis and after a while i also started using mushrooms. (As did about anyone of my left wing hippie friends). Mushrooms proved very amazing, fun and satisfying. At that time mushrooms where new on the scene and legal. Our minister of health even publicy declared she saw no reason to forbid mushrooms as the goverment thought they didn't posed any threat to the users health... So i decided i was experienced and i wanted the full monty. I prepped myself well and went straight into just hell.

The next moring i woke up with a headache beyond anything i have felt before or after. I feel very very sorry that you're experiencing such pain regular!

Wat hit me in the special about Dan is the pain, his fear, his bravery and especially his lonelyness. Seeing him alone on his bed knowing what he is experiencing is hard.

The advice i'm very willing to give is to never use mushrooms alone. Don't ever feel ashame, you did not asked for it, and surround you're self with people you care about, a personal support group. Using Mushrooms can be very hard, really like entering hell, for sure if you don't like to use. But a kind conversation, a friendly face, a touch, the mental support, will do good and keep you happy. When high you're soaking up the surroundings. Light music and fire (campfire, candles, fireplace dvd) can be very comforting. Also for the people who care about you, youre support crew, it's good and relieving to know that they can really influence/help you.

If anyone now's Dan personal and can say to him that he is a very brave man that would mean a lot to me.
All the best, Martijn

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:23pm

Except that cluster headache sufferers generally use these psychoactive substances at sub-hallucinogenic dosages. When doing so, it's really not that big a deal.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

userq
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:40pm

Dan is a hero for openly and fearlessly sharing his experience. Shame on the cowards in government afraid to follow his lead.

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 10:29pm

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the British narrator thay used in this program in the UK , it's the same guy who dose "How it's made" and "caught on camera" and stuff like that . He always overemphasizes things to make them sound more sensational as in this program every time the drug was referred to he said "the mind bending drugs" or "the mind bending hallucinogens"  it just seemed to make it all sound a bit weird and freaky rather than " Wow look how these people have found out how useful a drug that was previously thought to be useless actually is ".

Any way my hat off to all those who appeared in the show especially Dan (I had a tear in my eye when they showed him wrestling with the beast)

God bless you all

Nigel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!