Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ritalin Stopped the CH (Read 1726 times)
Amy62
CH.com Newbie

Ritalin Stopped the CH
Feb 18th, 2012 at 8:51am

My husband has suffered from episodic clusters (every 12-18 months that leave him immobile for 2 months) for 30 years. Oxygen helped to take the edge off the CH, but he was still immobilized.

After reading the study about methylphenidate (Ritalin), he asked his doctor for a low dose prescription. He has been cluster headache free for three years. Just wanted to pass this info on, in hopes of maybe making someone else's life better.

IP Logged

Joshl924
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Ritalin Stopped the CH
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 9:28am

Could you please get some more specific info from your doc please, like why he/she thinks it works

possibly message me? thanks

J

IP Logged

Purple (head404)
CH.com Junior

clusterbusters.com

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 12:30pm

Joshl924 wrote on Feb 19th, 2012 at 9:28am:
Could you please get some more specific info from your doc please, like why he/she thinks it works
yes, I'm interested also.

Amy62 wrote on Feb 18th, 2012 at 8:51am:
After reading the study about methylphenidate (Ritalin), he asked his doctor for a low dose prescription.

What study are you referring to?

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 3:35pm

I found this (although not a study and if you read the first sentences, there is *misinformation* already).  The doctor who wrote that is neither a neuro nor does he specialize in headaches.  Most of the other studies/articles that I found are at least 8 years old.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 4:16pm

I, too, would like to see the study about Ritialin. 

As an episodic, like your husband, my cycles also occurred every 12 to 18 months, and lasted anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks.  I would have anywhere from 1 to four hits per 24 hours, and dealt with each hit with oxygen or imitrex as they occurred (these are abortive options, not preventative options).

I was never been "immobilized" because of CH, other than during a hit.  I went to work every day, took care of cooking the dinner, taking care of my children and husband.  Never immobilized - just incapacitated by the CH pain for as long as it took me to make it stop - with O2, maybe maximum 15 min.

If your husband tried using oxygen and was still "immobilized", then I would question whether he had the correct O2 set up, 100% O2, very high flow (25lpm or better), and a NON-rebreather mask.

I was never on a preventative med, meaning something that will help to stop the cycle from starting, or lessen the duration, or lessen the number of hits, so I cannot speak to those.  Others here on the board can help you with those.

All I can firmly attest to is that as an abortive to a CH hit, oxygen, 100% at high flow rate with non-rebreather mask is the king!

Please click the yellow box on the left of this screen to read about Oxygen therapy.  If he doesn't have the right set up or know how to use it, this will answer your questions.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 12:07pm

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 2:19pm

From the study (with a study group of one patient):
Quote:
This is the first reported case of relief of cluster headaches with methylphenidate.

And apparently the only case.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 10:46am

Brew wrote on Feb 20th, 2012 at 2:19pm:
And apparently the only case.

Yup.  Kinda like that study that showed one person who could abort his clusters by smoking weed or taking Marinol.  I'm sure that if there is one person out there that it worked for, there has got to be others...but I doubt there are many that either would work for.  When you're grasping at straws both options are probably worth trying, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

IP Logged

userq
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:26pm

Im not surprised that this would work, ritalin is a stimulant, methamphetamine salts.

just like psilocibin mushrooms, I think that more research needs to be done in these areas.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!