Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from a Newbie (Read 1330 times)
Guitarman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello from a Newbie
Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:57am

I have so much more reading to do but I need a break now and wanted to say hello.

I live in East Yorkshire, UK and have had episodic CH for a little over a year.

I can't remember when to be exact but a little over a year ago, I started suffering these excrutiating pains. For 4 weeks I thought it was terrible toothache until I finally saw the dentist who could find nothing. I then went to my GP. This may be a first but my GP said right there and then that I had CH. I was given Imigran nasal sprays 20mg (sumatriptan). At the time, I though these had worked but I'm wondering now if this had just happened to coincide with the end of that particular cycle. I'm not sure of the GP's credentials but after he said they were CH, I found my way to this site and found that my symptoms were classic.

I'd been having three a day at pretty much the same time for 6 weeks and then they were gone. I'd read they can go away and never come back so I left my research there and hoped for the best.

Well, it turns out that was not such a great idea because they're back, and back with a vengeance! This is what I've had so far:
(Date in UK format dd.mm.yyyy)
22.02.12 0725-0745 + 2055-2115 (About 6/7 on kip scale)
23.02.12 0700-0720 (About 6/7)
24.02.12 0140-0205 + 1200-1230 + 1640-1710 (7/8)
25.02.12 0200-0225 + 0730-0755  (Both definite 9's, verging on 10's)

So as you can see, they've increased in frequency and pain level. I was beginning to think they may have settled at about every 5 hours but touch wood, I'm overdue.

I saw my GP on the 23rd and asked for Imigran as I though it may have worked last time. I didn't realise until my partner fetched my prescription that he'd prescribed tablets and not the sprays. These didn't seem to help at all. I saw my GP again yesterday and got the 20mg nasal sprays but as you can see by my last two CH, these appear to have done nothing and I've already taken the maximum dose for 24 hours. My GP put in an 'urgent' referral to a neuro.

I started this morning with the water treatment I've read about on here (a pint every 30 mins) and so far no CH but lots of trips to the loo.

I'm keen to explore O2 and will discuss this with the neuro. Having said that, if my CH continue at this level, I'm going to need help before then.

I've probably missed things out but at least I've made a start. This site has given me hope that I might be able to better manage this horrific condition so thank you to the site and it's members.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:38am by Guitarman »  

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Hello from a Newbie
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:43am

Hello guitarman, and welcome. Sorry you need to be here, but as you said, it is a place that offers much support and some advice. It is quite common for early cycles to come and go, and even to seem random, until they settle in to a regular Cluster or pattern. So far you've been exploring abortives, and I think you'll find O2, with the right flow rate and equipment, is the best of all. You do need a preventative. Not all docs are familiar with the front line meds for CHs, so it's to your advantage to continue reading, make notes, and be prepared to assist in your own treatment. Verapamil is the leader at the moment, but there are others like lithium, topamax, etc. You might explore the idea of a prednisone pack for intermediate relief while your longer term abortive builds up. Check out the links on energy drinks coupled with O2 as well as the links on Melatonin and Batch's Vitamin D3 regimen. As you can see, there is much to learn but good reason for hope. Ask any questions that occur, stay vigilant and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guitarman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:37am

Hi wimsey1 and thank you for the kind welcome. I'm really grateful for the info. I've read so many different things but without structure so your post has helped me to focus and put my reading list in some logical order.

I'm going to have a good read about preventatives now. If the CH continue to be as problematic as the last two, I will no doubt be seeing my GP before I receive a neuro appointment and aim to go armed with info.

I'm still PF so far since my last post and have kept up with the water.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 2:53pm

I agree with Lance's comments about you needing a good preventive. This will help cut down the number of CHs you get.

It looks like you're CHs last about 20-30 minutes using the sprays which is still a long time to have the pain of a CH. Do push strongly for oxygen. Using it with a high flow rate (15lpm or higher) along with a non-rebreather mask will help cut that time drastically. I kill mine off in about 5 minutes with a flow rate of 25lpm. You can get oxygen on the NHS.

There is UK based organization - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - which will have a lot of UK centric info and they also have a helpline.

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:13pm

You're a player I assume? What axes do you have or have had? Style?

"Batch's Vitamin D3 regimen" mentioned in an earlier post has helped me tremendously. O2 is great as well, although my current insurance won't cover it. Morons will cover hyper-expensive Imitrex though. 6mg Imitrex(Imigram) injections work better than the nasal spray FYI. The D3 regimen has me almost off them entirely though.

Without my huge history with these bastard headaches, suffice to say that I couldn't play for years. Now I'm back and have to credit the D3 in my case.

Good luck, keep on playin'

IP Logged

Guitarman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:49am

Thank you for your replies. I can't work out how to multi-quote on this board.
69Strat wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:13pm:
You're a player I assume? What axes do you have or have had? Style?

"Batch's Vitamin D3 regimen" mentioned in an earlier post has helped me tremendously. O2 is great as well, although my current insurance won't cover it. Morons will cover hyper-expensive Imitrex though. 6mg Imitrex(Imigram) injections work better than the nasal spray FYI. The D3 regimen has me almost off them entirely though.

Without my huge history with these bastard headaches, suffice to say that I couldn't play for years. Now I'm back and have to credit the D3 in my case.

Good luck, keep on playin'

Yes, I play Guitar, Sax, bass, harmonica and some keys. I've been playing for about 19 years and I've had many guitars over the years. I play mainly acoustic/fingerstyle and pretty much most genres. I can bash out heavy metal rhythm and the like but choose not to unless asked. At the moment, due to CH and other problems, I don't play nearly as much as I used to so sold all but two of 7 guitars. I have a takamine G5 and an ovation round back copy which everyone who plays asks to buy. It's crazy because I only paid £50 for it and it the best playing and sounding guitar I've owned! These are two guitars I'd never part with.

I've read about the D3 regime but I'm seeing the Doc this morning and am aiming to have Verapamil and O2 prescribed. I'm going to try these in isolation to start with so I can measure the efficacy.

Thank you for the info Mike. I've looked briefly at ouch and came back here but I didn't realise they were UK based so I'm going to go back and consider signing up.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:50am by Guitarman »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 5:04am

Guitarman wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:49am:
Thank you for the info Mike. I've looked briefly at ouch and came back here but I didn't realise they were UK based so I'm going to go back and consider signing up.

Nothing stopping you reading and posting both there and here to get the best of both worlds, maximising what you learn about CH and how to maximise living with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!