Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Logistical advice for negotiating with supervisors (Read 2058 times)
Amstaveley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Logistical advice for negotiating with supervisors
Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:45am

Morning all (or afternoon/evening/etc)

I'm trying to find some advice about negotiating some serious deadlines I have coming up. I am a 13 year cluster sufferer (episodic) and have thus far managed to meet most of my obligations in day to day life for the most part. However, I am a PhD student coming up on my qualifying exams in the first week in April. Herein lies the problem.

The exams are 5 days of writing done from home which last 9 hours per day. During that time we are asked analytic and theoretical questions on which we are expected to write 30-40 pages of critical essays per day. The exams themselves wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the cycle ramping up as we speak...

I put the exams off in the fall of 2010 due to a 10 week headache cycle, and then was further delayed by committee sabbaticals the following 2 semesters. There is no way I can live in poor PhD (monetarily) student status anymore and putting my exams off again is a non-starter. To get to the crux of my issue, I have no idea how to ask for some special concessions while writing.

My physician has already contacted my advisor once and explained the nature of the illness when my committee chair questioned "why I couldn't write and defend my exams with a migraine?". I think that given some extra time I will be able to write, but seeing as that week will be right when I am going into the worst 2 weeks of my cycle there is no way I will be able to write continuously for 9 hours without interruption by my old arch-nemesis. O2 usually shortens and/or aborts to some degree but that doesn't remedy the time it takes (about 25 mins) after the pain has subsided to scrape myself up off the floor and resume functioning. Not to mention the sleepless nights when the O2 is far less effective.

I guess what I am asking is if any of you have had similar issues and found a way to negotiate them, or if there are any resources y'all could send my way to help me build a strategy to speak with my advisor and my committee?

Any advice would be great! And thanks so much for all the support over the years! I may be pretty quiet on the discussion boards, but I follow the threads and the supporters threads have been so helpful to my husband and kids!

Alissa

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Logistical advice for negotiating with supervisors
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:41am

Have you any preventive measures in your treatment to minimize the frequency of hits to manage?  There are a couple of regimen options mentioned on this site as well as alternatives that have worked well for those who have adhered to preventive methods.

Having been chronic, this has helped me get through a 55 hr work week year after year.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:46am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Amstaveley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 1:00pm

Hi Kevin,

As a matter of fact, I went on Verapamil this summer when I started feeling shadows (5 months before I expected another cycle) and it seemed to hold the cycle at bay until the last couple of weeks. I'm still taking them and this is the first time I've had a cycle while on the prophylactic so I'm not sure if they'll shorten it or lessen the severity of the headaches. So far this round is ramping up no differently than any other,but we'll see.

I have an appt with the Doc to see if we can up the dose, but it's complicated due to the fact that I have really low BP and a slight heart arrhythmia.

The early headaches aren't so bad, relatively manageable and short in duration, so I can still study relatively productively.

Have you ever used Verapamil? I was also on propranolol for a stretch, but I couldn't take a high enough dose to be effective without passing out and falling over all the time. I don't know of any other meds that might lessen this cycle, do you?

Thanks for the reply!
Alissa

IP Logged

Amstaveley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 1:01pm

Oh, and I do the waterX3, shortens headaches in the early weeks, but the water has to be icy enough to induce a 'brainfreeze'...

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 1:15pm

Quote:
Have you ever used Verapamil?

Verapamil has been effective for me.  I can cruise sometimes at 240mg a day, sometimes 360, but there have been times 480 is required.  For short durations, when needed during intense times 640, 720, and once around 900 were needed.  Chronic, like cycles, can have their strong and weak times. 

Consistent breakthroughs signal a more intense bout happening and has needed an increase in preventive measures for a while, gradually increasing and tapering slowly afterwards.  One size does not fit all.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:32pm

I know of no good way to negotiate with educators.  Sorry! 

I would suggest you take a look at Batch's rather long thread on the use of Vit. D and get on it yesterday.  It has been the most successful legal method for the most from what I've see of it.  It also seems to take effect fairly quickly.

I wish you the best of luck!  Please let us know when you complete your work.  You are to be congratulated for sure for following through over a long hard time.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:04am

I may not understand the exam format but would it help to have one of those voice to text programs so you just dictate your essay?

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Amstaveley
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 10:49am

Thanks all for the words! Bob P. I actually do use a voice dictation software. Nothing to do with the CH, simply b/c I dropped out of typing in the 9th grade, and suck at it. Makes my life SO much better!
After spending the better part of last night and this morning reading Batch's thread on the Vit D3/Omega 3 therapy, I'm off to get it started immediately! I noticed an addition of taurine and glycine from one of the posters. Has anyone here had any luck with those two additives?

I  have been taking melatonin (10mg) and benedryl at night to try to get some sleep and it worked great till last night. Now I'm nursing a CH hangover and constant shadow.

As an update, my doc has recommended that I apply for disability concessions to write my exams as long as I am in cycle. Hopefully this will mean that I can have extra time to write, up to double the normally allotted time. That give me 2 days for every 1 day of exam writing. Drags out the gawdawful process, but hey, it'll get me done!

Thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted!
A

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:28pm

You could also look at the top of the Getting to Know Ya board for a thread called "Letter to Employers & Colleagues". Might help.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 8:27pm

Quote:
The exams are 5 days of writing done from home which last 9 hours per day. During that time we are asked analytic and theoretical questions on which we are expected to write 30-40 pages of critical essays per day.

THAT, right there gave me a headache. I don't understand how anyone can be expected to do that.  CH or not.  I admire and respect anyone that can.   WOW!

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!