Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does your Cluster Headache End? (Read 3014 times)
Rush342
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How does your Cluster Headache End?
Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:08pm

Hey all I am new to this site. I have been suffering from Clusters for 6 years but was just diagnose by neurologist last fall. 

Every time I get a cluster I feel intense pressure behind my eye. Then after about 1.5 hours of pain my nose pops and the pain behind my eye (hot poker) completely/instantly goes away.  The noise from the pop is loud and my wife always says, "what was that."  Its really weird.  I mentioned this to my neurologist and he wasn't sure what it was.  All I can say is when it pops the pressure/pain is gone and its the best feeling in the world.

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else?

Sometimes when I get a cluster, I use a neti pot.  I pour the water up the nostril on the same side of the face that has the pain. (Always the left side for me) When the water goes up into the sinus It burns like hell but as soon as it starts to drain out the other side the pain starts to go away and takes the cluster with it. Has anyone else found relief from this?

Aaron

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: How does your Cluster Headache End?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:25pm

I have never used a neti pot in an attempt to abort a cluster attack.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:42pm

I'm a "fader" in that my attacks fade in, build to peak, then fade out. The cycle itself follows a similar pattern. Have you tried oxygen yet? 33 years with the beasty and 02 is still my best, cheapest, most consistently effective abortive!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Glad you found us, welcome to the gang.

Joe
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2012 at 5:43pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 11:00pm

If I've used my abortives effectively and quickly, my CH will end abruptly.  If I can't get to the 02/Imitrex/Redbull in time, then it's drawn-out and painful and often ends in a migraine.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2012 at 8:15am

I have no idea what that popping sound is that you mention. Particularly since your wife can hear it, too. Odd. Like Joe, I am a fader. I get about 20 seconds of warning one is coming, and I know it's time to hit the abortives: Monster, O2. Then about 3-5 minutes later it's over. On those occasions the O2 does not abort within 10 minutes, I hit a trex or a migranal, depending on where I am. Then, they fade out. Do you have an abortive other than the neti pot? Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Darkfire
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

MD, USA
Reply #5 - May 7th, 2012 at 1:13am

Most of the time I get hit and then they fade. Mine last a long time. Sometimes the abrupt cessation of pain is so relieving I need to sleep.  Sometimes they hit and stop abruptly. Sometimes they fade into a shadow or auras start and the pulsing and poof it's a migraine.

I am not on O2 as of yet. My abortive meds are reglan/toradol/tramadol/zanaflex with neurontin as a preventative.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:54am

I'm a really slow fader, both ways. It usually takes 15~20 minutes to reach full pain, and at least 30 minutes for the pain to go away. All in all, it lasts at least 1.5 hours.

I have never had an instant fade. Sounds like fun Cool

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 6:34pm

Mine usually end quickly (after Imitrex) and I yawn EVERY SINGLE TIME  <?> 

I4B

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 7:24pm

With 2mg Imitrex: Gone in 5-10 minutes, quicker when developed
With Nothing: As it is killing me, 90% gone in less that 30 seconds- The last 10% may last 1 second or hours. In these time a running nose usually indicates that the Tipping point is within sight. And sometimes it is a quick ride there, others, well they're rougher. Basically a CH may last 15 minutes or 200+ minutes, it may be bring it on, or birng me outta here. It's one of its charms.

-zg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!