Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Online support group survey (Read 6405 times)
DJ
YaBB Administrator

Boyz Rule!

Wichita, KS
Online support group survey
Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:33am

Got an email requesting I post information about a girl in Australia who is doing a study about headache sufferers and online support group.  Please consider helping her out!

Hello,

My name is Elise Candy and I am a psychology honours student at Griffith University, QLD, Australia. I have been a headache sufferer for many years and I am currently conducting research into the use of online support groups for headache disorder sufferers in conjunction with my supervisor Professor Paul Martin, a prominent researcher and clinician in the headache disorder field and head of school here at Griffith University.

I am writing to you as the moderator of this particular online community, to ask permission to post a voluntary survey for those members who might be interested in participating in my research.

The title of my research project is "Testing a model for online support group use, empowerment processes and psychosocial outcomes for headache sufferers." The aim of this project is to determine how accessing headache support groups online impacts on the individual in terms of personal empowerment and its relationship with various psychosocial outcomes, including coping with headaches, self-care self-efficacy in headache management and health-related quality of life.

We believe that this project is important because it will help develop an understanding of how using online support groups empower headache sufferers in terms of headache management, their own personal resources and coping strategies and quality of life. We also believe that community members might find participating in this research beneficial, with the potential for increased understanding of one's own coping resources and the potential empowerment processes associated with using such online headache support groups as this.

There will be no identifying information obtained from members of your community, and if requested, preliminary results from the study can be provided back to you and your members by the end of this year as well as the possibility of published research findings.  If you need any more information about the aims, methods or measures of the current study, please do not hesitate to contact me on my email: elise.candy@griffithuni.edu.au If permission is granted we will provide members of the community a link to the online survey, as well as information about the purposes and requirements of the study so that they can make an informed decision as whether to participate or not. We believe there are no aversive consequences for participating in this study, and as already mentioned benefits in terms of highlight personal resources, skills and coping strategies. The survey should only take maximum 15 minutes to complete.

I've included a link to the online survey for you to have a look at.

Thanks very much for your time and hoping to hear from you soon! Your help in this research project would be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards, 

The Research Team

Elise Candy and Professor Paul Martin
See linked website for researcher credentials Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

SURVEY LINK: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I NEVER could have imagined! (April 11th, 1998 - present).  Adversity does not build character... it reveals it.
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: Online support group survey
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:04pm

Done!

Interesting survey.  It applies more to migraine in some areas than to cluster, but I can definitely see where it has value.  It was worth the 10 mins it took.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:48pm

I totally agree with Jerry's comments. This is a very well designed survey and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:06pm

Done.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:40pm

I finished it.  Wish the word Migraine wasn't in this because once again...we'll be lumped in with them and the answers are going to be so different, much less the results of this survey/test.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:16pm

Done!

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 12:46pm

Completed.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:59am

Did and done. Expecting six-pack by return mail.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 3:27am

Done

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:42pm

Done, done and done.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 1:26pm

Didn't take it because based on the criteria I did not meet it.  Have not had at least 1 headache a week for the last six months - thank the lord.

Think the comment about this being for migranes versus clusters is valid.  These studies, to be helpfull, need to be focused.  Don't want to cloud the results.

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:16am

Great survey.  I wouldn't worry about the migraine thing, because they specify what type of headache you primarily suffer from, perhaps they're trying to discern if online support groups help some types of headaches more than others.  My guess is that they help CH a lot more than other headaches, because they are more rare and more painful.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:59pm

Katherine is right.  The purpose of the survey is to gauge the value of Online Support Groups, not the HA's themselves.  I emailed Elise about the  difference in CH and Migraine and how some of the questions did not really fit us.  She recognized the differences and was very nice in her response saying they didn't have a good way to differentiate in the survey.  She seems to be a very sharp young lady, and I hope she is able to get the response she needs.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 4:29pm

OK - I took the survey.  Only thing that confused me was how to answer some of the questions about dealing with the pain.  For me - as I said before - the imetrix always works after a short period of time.  If (and when) I didn't have any many of my answers on that subject would have been different.

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!