Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster headache treatments (Read 1599 times)
Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Cluster headache treatments
Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:46am

I have recently tryed disoloveable Alavert and it seams to help somewhat, but I'm looking for some other options. Can anyone share with me there treatments???

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Cluster headache treatments
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:49am

I'm a 52 year old episodic sufferer, my regimen:

A cycle starts I go on a 2 week prednisone taper while I start building up my lithium. Eventually my lithium gets up to 1200 mg a day where it stays throughout my cycle.

For abortives i breathe pure 02 out of a demand valve, while drinking a sugar free red bull on the rocks! the 02 will abort an attack in about 6-8 minutes, the red bull seems to kick off the come backer attacks, and speeds the abort time for me.

I keep imitrex injectables on hand but rarely use them as the oxygen just works too well without any of the annoying trex side effects.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 11:36pm

Is o2 easy to get from your PCP??? I have an app. on fri can I just ask him for it??

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 11:51pm

It depends on how educated he/she is on CH. My nurse practioner at Kaiser had no problem prescribing it as it was so much cheaper then imitrex per abort.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you haven't had a chance, read this link on oxygen therapy. It might help you with any questions the doc has. It's cheap, safe, fast, you can't OD on it, no side effects, it's a GREAT first line abortive.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Rfigs81
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

phoenix. az
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:25am

Thank you for your help... You should try dissolveable alavert it works pretty good for me.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 1:32am

There is a very good chance your Doctor will be unwilling to Rx O2 (oxygen). Very few Pc's and Neuro's know of the success and proper use of O2 for CH. Many have false understandings. The correct equipment and flow rate is essential.

Our best bet is to know more than our Doc's. This website has more modern info on treating CH than most Doctors. Educate yourself right here. All you have to lose is pain. So read until you know.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!