Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From Supporter to Sufforer (Read 6061 times)
TBuck
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

From Supporter to Sufforer
Sep 6th, 2012 at 9:17am

I am new to the board but have lived with Cluster Headaches for my entire life.  From as early as I can remember I have had to watch as my father would pace the house, scream into a towel and wish the pain would end.  It was and is the hardest thing for a child to watch their father go through as you know there is nothing that you can do to help. 
2 years ago I started to feel the pain, I know they are not KNOWN to be hereditary but I was worried and got checked out.  It was confirmed by 2 separate doctors(as we know they can be wrong and there are not any exact tests to determine these) The day I told my father was the hardest of his life, the roles had been reversed as for the toughest thing for a father to watch his son suffer from.  Luckily I had more knowledge of these prior to the diagnosis than most do. 
The reason for the post (sorry for being long) is to thank all of those people who do support us, and more than you know it means the world.  I am extremely *lucky*  to have a father who knows what I go through and knows the wanting to end it all, but also showed me the strength to get through this from the beginning of my life.  And a wife who is beyond amazing and goes through hell when I have one just to do anything and everything she can for me. 

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: From Supporter to Sufforer
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 2:38am

Welcome TBuck

There is a small increased chance of a child of someone who gets CH also getting CH, so you're not alone here.

Tell us more about how you deal with your CHs. Are you on medication to prevent them? What do you have to abort CHs?

Keep posting, reading and asking questions, you'll soon learn a lot about dealing with CH.

IP Logged

Squirrel
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 3:39pm

Hey TBuck.  First of all, I'm sorry for your pain, for your father's pain, and for you having to witness your father's pain.  My husband is a ch'er, and we believe his father was also.  When my husband was diagnosed and we explained it to family, it was like a light-bulb went on ("That's what dad used to do / sound like, etc").  Yes, they say it isn't hereditary, but they surely don't know everything, do they (who ever "they" is).

Take care.  Keep reading and posting.  You're family now.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 4:59pm

From what I've read, it's MOSTLY not hereditary. There are instances where both parent and child have been diagnosed.

If I recall, I think the scientists said that any child of a CH'er was something like 0.3% more likely to develop CH than the general population.

If that's you, TBuck, I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket right now.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

TBuck
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 7:13am

Lottery ticket it is!

But I am on 150 mg of Topamax a day as well as 25 mg of Indomethacin (mostly for the Ice Pick Headaches far as they told me) and Verapamil *forget dosage and Im at work right now* for my daily regiment.  To kill the beast I use 6mg Imitrex shots.  I dont like to use them, but as you guys know, its better than the alternative. 

I am grateful to find this forum since most of the people who you say Cluster Headaches to respond with "Well at least you dont get migranes!"  Its good to hear from and read the stories and information/treatments others have found.  I will post my information in the newbie section later on today since I am lucky and have an AWESOME headache clinic nearby my house at the University of Iowa.

IP Logged

-dvb-
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Jersey
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Hi Tbuck,

I have also "inherited" CH from my Father. When he was diagnosed, his doc asked him "who else in your family has them?". Well, now we know.

Best of luck to you. If you haven't already, check out the thread "123 Days PF and I Think I Know Why". Vitamin regimen that helping quite a few us.

-dvb

IP Logged

ttnolan
CH.com Veteran

beats me

Scotts Valley, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2012 at 4:14pm

Welcome,
On your way to get that loto ticket, pick up some oxygen. Your Imitrex supply will thank you.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:54am

Hey Buck, I'm married to a CH'r and this site has been a godsend to us. Do check out as others mentioned the 123 days pain free link. Also, didn't see you mention oxygen as an abortive. High flow o2 has helped many here abort a CH in a very short time without the after affects you alluded to with imitrex.

let us know how we can help.
Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

TBuck
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 1:44pm

Thank you all, I will continue to stick around, I have been busy with work and life in general but will post in the newcomers area when I can.  After yesterdays attack I have been on the site all day looking up tips and ways of informing my wife and family of other treatments and ways to deal with these demons.

IP Logged

djphrenzy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 12:42pm

If anyone ever said to me "Well at least you don't get migraines!" they would receive a prompt falcon punch.  Hahaha

IP Logged

wsnurse
CH.com Junior

Give a Smile every Day

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 11:17am

I do have gone from being supporter Of my father over the years. Now recently being diagnosed with ch and him helping me. He is so understanding gentle and knows my needs when I can't think or function. He let's me crawl like an Animal bang my head and sits handing me o2 pushing my hair out of my face or assuring me it will pass and he understands. Sometimes I just want someone there and they don't need to do anything.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 11:20am

wsnurse wrote on Nov 2nd, 2013 at 11:17am:
I do have gone from being supporter Of my father over the years. Now recently being diagnosed with ch and him helping me. He is so understanding gentle and knows my needs when I can't think or function. He let's me crawl like an Animal bang my head and sits handing me o2 pushing my hair out of my face or assuring me it will pass and he understands. Sometimes I just want someone there and they don't need to do anything.

Someone who just gets it, yeah, I get that. Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!