Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you describe your pain? (Read 10114 times)
ClusterHK
CH.com Junior

Ouch!

Now in Sydney, Australia!
How do you describe your pain?
Nov 19th, 2012 at 2:53pm

Just out of boredom/curiosity, what do your cluster headaches feel like? How do you describe it to others?

A lot of people compare it to a hot poker in the eye but it doesn't quite feel that way for me. I'd describe it as such:

Imagine shoving a metal pipe into your right eye until it reaches the top of the head. Now connect the pipe to a gas cylinder and increase the pressure inside your head until the eyeball is about to pop out. Finally, connect up a car battery to deliver electric shocks directly to your brain.

Now trying a beer test - fingers crossed.

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: How do you describe your pain?
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 4:58pm

I feel like the pain in the eye is like a severe "ice cream headache", but the worst of it is the pressure on the side of the head.  Mine feels like there is pressure under the skull and it feels like it's going to crack from the inside. 

This should be an interesting stream of desriptive posts.

IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Mine has always carried that trademark prelude that had a burning sensation much like getting water up your nose. These moments are just the "calm before the storm". On this has reached its highest point, that's when the real fun begins. I used to believe long ago, that if you take pain medication before you reach this point....you would be saved. For me, there are 2 types of pain going on.first, the really sharp and deep stabbing pain. Sencondly, the throbbing pain that usually isn't equal in intensity. Make no mistake its still more pain than I have ever known. Each of my headaches have different levels of their attributes. Sometimes they are very weak in comparison to how some of the others can feel....but they are still WAY worse than your typical run of the mill headaches. When "the bad ones" hit, it always puts me in a "any port in the storm" style of demeanor. Once it reaches a critical mass, I am not longer able to fully open my right eye and if I do.....landing on the floor is imminent. Find myself feeling my way through the house as if I am completely blind. Sometimes I seem to lose my sense of balance. There are other factors thathat contribute to mine. If I have the windows open in my house and someone opens the door, the intensity. Light, sound, people forcing me to answer the "what can I do to help you" question, etc. So to answer your question about how I would describe my pain? Starts with a burning sensation at the back right side of my head for about 5 minutes. The the sharper shooting pain behind my eye, then the throbbing deep inside of my head. Sometimes they are "mild" and last only 10-20 minutes, others are unbearable and can last for up to 1 hour and 45 minutes.(I never had one last for over 2 hours). As I mentioned several times before, a lot of things can alter my CH's level of intensity and duration. I know this no matter how it lasts or intensity.....its is too long to have to tolerate that kind of pain. Before I got these headaches, I never knew that pain could get this bad. When they do finally let up the relief is unequivical, but there still the hangover to endure.

IP Logged

ClusterHK
CH.com Junior

Ouch!

Now in Sydney, Australia!
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 7:00am

CH Keith wrote on Nov 19th, 2012 at 4:58pm:
I feel like the pain in the eye is like a severe "ice cream headache"

Interestingly, ice cream headache is caused by a constriction of blood vessels in response to the cold... some CH sufferers have reported relief by inducing an ice cream headache to cancel out the cluster headache. Smiley

Now trying a beer test - fingers crossed.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:03am

ClusterHK wrote on Nov 20th, 2012 at 7:00am:

Interestingly, ice cream headache is caused by a constriction of blood vessels in response to the cold... some CH sufferers have reported relief by inducing an ice cream headache to cancel out the cluster headache. Smiley

Don't know if that would work for me. My clusters are always on the left and my brain freeze is always on the right. But, I have often used the ice cream headache as an example of what a cluster attack feels like, only much more painful and last a lot longer.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:43pm

When describing my headaches to someone who has never one, can be difficult to vividly explain them. So I try to speak in metaphors and pain(s) they understand. Usually I tell them that the pain around my eye is precisely located where you get the burning sensation from getting water up your nose. I explain the pain part of it by asking them if they ever had a filling fall out and accidently got some ice in it. Usually they grasp that pain by saying "oh man that's happened to me....I know just what you mean", I say good.....now multiply that by 1000. Then this is where I lose my audiences ability to relate to the pain. When I try explaining that deep throbbing and stabbing pain, I can't ever draw metaphors to properly explain myself. I tell them that its so great that you want to crush your skull.then the dumbass question emerges. "If you have a headache that bad....why squeeze or hit your head on things?" After that I know that when I explain the pain to them that they will only relate it to a Mirgraine. So I give up.
As far as the Ice Cream headaches to help manage a CH. I'm just waaaay too scared to attempt it.

IP Logged

brian trudeau
CH.com Junior

his arms are around me
and his tounge in my
eye

Kinde, MI USA
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 6:04pm

I remember years ago when being misdiagnosed and not knowing what CH were telling my doctor that when I get woke up each night with it I would rather have someone come into my room every night and break all my fingers while kicking me in the balls and it would feel 10x better than what happens behind my left eye. I explained it hurts so bad I roll on the floor clutching my head moaning and my eye turns red droops like I am having a stroke and it feels as if someone is trying to rip my eyeball out from behind untill I cry and pray for it to end.  He looked at me like I was crazy and said "They wake you up???" 

Unless you have CH's they are truely hard to explain the pain we go through to anyone since once we do they think were over dramatic and then the conversation turns into the "Dopiest responses to CH" thread of answers.
When asked now I say
Twenty minutes of a 4 sided razor tipped burning arrow entering your head increasingly opening to a twenty minute Claw grabbing behind your eye and twisting of the worst pain imaginable to twenty minutes of it closing back up and leaving your skull. Then your left with a shadow that feels like someone has kicked you in the head with some steel toe boots for and hour, and a sore swollen gushy feeling on one side of your head like when you sprain your ankle. That about sums it up for me.
-Brian

...but then you make me crawl..and I cant be holding on to what you got...when all you got is hurt...
briantrud briantrud briantrud  
IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 7:15pm

@Brian- you got that right. Virgins just don't understand. Not to wish this pain on anyone. But sometime is wish there was a way to induce a CH and control the intensity and length. Imagine- Ok we are gonna hit you with about a 5 for 30 minutes. After hearing them scream in pain for 5 minutes we have mercy and relieve it. After they stop crying and regain their strength...ask them a few of the dumb ass questions we are always asked. Then say "ok man your ready to go again? But this time it will be twice as bad and it could last for up to 2 hours". After they beg us NOOOOO!!! In terror they have never know, we say "yeah now that's why we are scared to sleep at night....next time I tell you to leave me alone because the demon is coming....MOVE!". Unfortunately, technology just isn't there yet. Besides, I don't think I could do that to someone else....not even a 5. I'm just glad that I found this site where I can seek refuge with people who suffer like me. Why don't people believe us?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 9:55pm

(From the archives of ch.com)

Staring at an empty page,
Pen in hand, mind all black.
The beast is prowling, hear it growling,
Circling ready for next attack.
Too scared to sleep, too weak to weep,
Cowering in fear of what's ahead.
I know it can't kill me, but still it can fill me
With terror unquenchable, bottomless dread.

No second chances, the monster advances,
The stalking's over, it's time for the fight.
No ducking or weaving, just bucking and heaving,
The claws have sunk in and now comes the bite.
The lashing, the crashing, the gnashing of teeth
As my skull slowly crumples, bone torn apart.
Talons of fire take my eye entire,
It's merciless, endless, cut blind to the heart.

How long has it been, a minute? A year?
Where am I? Is it over, or just a reprieve?
I know that it's out there just watching and waiting,
And gloating, and hoping I'll really believe
That it's gone for ever, in future to never
Come back to attack, where-ever and when.
I'm beaten, defeated, the beast has feasted,
Again, and again, and again and again.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:52pm

Look familiar?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

brian trudeau
CH.com Junior

his arms are around me
and his tounge in my
eye

Kinde, MI USA
Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:59am

Wow Batch that makes me wince and brings tears to my eyes just looking at it.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2012 at 1:00am by brian trudeau »  

...but then you make me crawl..and I cant be holding on to what you got...when all you got is hurt...
briantrud briantrud briantrud  
IP Logged

Marc1985
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 10:40am

BobG wrote on Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:03am:
ClusterHK wrote on Nov 20th, 2012 at 7:00am:

Don't know if that would work for me. My clusters are always on the left and my brain freeze is always on the right. But, I have often used the ice cream headache as an example of what a cluster attack feels like, only much more painful and last a lot longer.

I think this is the best way to describe it to a non sufferer. The "Brain Freeze" Pain, is not exactly the same, as some have pointed out, but its as close as I can think of. Brain freeze, plus more intense, plus longer, plus throbbing.

I think this picture sums it up nicely.

(Cant post images yet, but if you google cluster headaches, and click on images, it is the fifth one along).

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:07am

I use the brain freeze analogy. I tell them to imagine a brain freeze, that keeps building, then sustains for 90 minutes!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

pancho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 11:05pm

Hi guys my headache start like this
I get a hot,throbbing sensation in the optic nerve of my left eye (or i think is the optic nerve). When this happens i know that i have about 5  min or so before the real pain comes. The pain that i feel is like someone is pulling my optic nerve like a string on a guitar and suddenly letting it go so that the pain gets sharper then duller then sharp again. My pain comes and goes but with the pain getting sharper and sharper every time it comes around. when i get a cluster i want to seriously take my eye out to see if this will make the pain go away. i cry and at the very end pass out or fall asleep or one of the two. I can never figure out if i pass out or fall asleep. I've had clusters for my entire life and am 23 so i hope my cycle or season as I call it to end or be controlled somehow

IP Logged

Tim Cobb
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 11:36pm

Mine starts as a dull pain above my left temple and gradually builds almost feels likes a sinus headache and at first the only way I know is to press on my left eye if it hurts along a certain line I know its a CH coming. Within a few min's my temple starts to burn and feel likes pressure building up and my eye starts to feel like a nail is being driven through it from the inside. From my eye to my ear feels like there is a air bag blowing up and putting more and more pressure on everything. At this point the pain is so intense that I get up from sitting on the edge of the bed and go into the library to our upper deck and crack the sliding door and stick my head out and just stand there for sometimes it seems like hours I know its not but it's a relaxing place and usually it's a cool place. Sometimes I go out and sit there although the night noises tend to be annoying. I work nights so most of my CH's are during the day 9:45 am and 2:45 pm seem to be my times during my sleep time. On the weekends I can really throw a wrench in the works by trying to be a normal person. I was so glad to find this site and never knew how little Imitrex it takes to abort. Good luck with yours.

IP Logged

Tim Cobb
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 12:03am

One day I was getting ready to drive to Columbus one night at work when a CH started to hit me while I was in dispatch at work. I grabbed my Imitrex kit and loaded my pen pulled my sleeve down and gave myself a shot. One of my buddies I have known for 16 years was watching me and winced as I did it and was totally shocked how normal this was to me. When I am done I always bend the needle and put the unit in the trash and it was funny watching his face watching me do this. It was the first time he had ever witnessed it. He said you didn't even act like you felt that I told him that the shot is like a scratch compared to the pain it is keeping away.

IP Logged

CH Keith
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 1:11pm

I think one of the biggest obstacles we have in trying to explain these things is man's ability to exaggerate.  All of those aspirin commercials trying to make the headaches they help sound like the worst ever to show how strong they are.  Even when we try not to exaggerate it sounds unbelievable, and then people start to doubt how bad it can really be.

ClusterHK wrote on 11/20/12 at 7:00am:
CH Keith wrote on 11/19/12 at 4:58pm:

Interestingly, ice cream headache is caused by a constriction of blood vessels in response to the cold... some CH sufferers have reported relief by inducing an ice cream headache to cancel out the cluster headache.

I wouldn't say that I intentionally tried this, but I had a Slurpee while in a cycle and the resulting eye pain mixed with brain freeze was among the most severe pain I have ever felt.  The worst I get are on the side of the head and as rediculous as it sounds, you get accustomed to knowing what to expect, how intense it's going to be, how much longer it typically takes, this was an entirely different excrutiating pain since it was totally new and unexpected.  It created a sense of dread from potential brain freeze inducing foods when I'm in a cycle.

IP Logged

Mike Bernardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield, NJ
Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 2:49pm

I have a few pains. The one on the top of my head feels like a crackling as if my skull was splintering, not breaking, but splintering down the center as my brain was protruding out. The eye feels like someone is standing in front of me pulling it out with a pair of Craftsman Robogrip pliers. Then the dozens of pains that randomly hit the rights side of my head from my forehead, across the top, around my ear, and back, even my cheek, sometimes, feels like that stainless steel injector I use to put flavorings in the turkey on Thanksgiving. The best part is my skin actually hurts to the touch on the entire right side of my head, so I can't sleep on that side. Feels like it's bruised.

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 7:33pm

I've described as one time I got jumped and kicked and beat by 10 idiots. Imagine that concussion 3 to 6 times a day for 2 to 3 months.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #19 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:41pm

Stiff neck, ultra sensitivity to high pitch sounds and sounds of cartilage cracking when I turn my head, loss of appetite, lack of motivation, physically exhausted, emotionally traumatized...none of these "symptoms" for me ever goes away during entire cycle.

During attacks...stuffed nostril followed by runny nose, tearing eye, half closed eyelid, stubborn pressing pain in the back of my neck, side of my head/temple, and a piercing pain in and also behind my eye, sometimes my CH eye turns from blue to green during attack, restlessness, impulsive sometimes violent behavior during attack or right after out of frustration of helplessness...always left sided for me on odd years, every other year, in the Fall....pain creates/oncoming attack and eliminates/abort of attack both very fast within 30 seconds each.

Imagine your head is locked inside a vice grip with increasing pressure with one motive to make your head explode...while a red hot steel poker is stabbing your eyeball repeatedly, experience this torture for 45 minutes, become physically exhausted, try to cope with where you left off with life and get something accomplished just to have a repeat attack but much more intense pain, etc up to 12x daily, afraid to sleep, day after day, week after week, month after month...no doubt why this is nicknamed a suicide headache and the worst physical medically related pain affliction known to mankind!

Shadows for me are common throughout the day...very annoying stuffy head like a hangover or head cold.

I call it TORTURE BY THE DRAGON!  Dragon because it rises from the depths of Hell and viciously attacks, then dives down beneath the surface until the next time it wants to prey.  No doubt about it, sheer torture, a living nightmare, suicidal thoughts to end the pain and emotional stress, lack of accomplishing anything, minimal support from others because few understand, nobody can really help so it's a very lonely experience, usually results in financial and relationship devastation from job loss, time loss, etc.  Not a disease I would wish on my worst enemy or would I? Angry

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Shancan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 10:09pm

As soon as I told my doc "Id rather go through labor and birth again without pain meds over and over again then suffer through another night" He said You have cluster headaches!

Mine starts with an inner ear pain and then a light pain above the eye. Thats when I run to get my emergency meds. Im praying as I make my way to the dresser to get my meds that this one doesnt come on so quick but as I open the bottle it peaks. The burning sensation feels like you have been shot in the head. Your eye feels like its being pushed out of its socket. It wells up and water runs out of your nose. I get this pain in my lower sinus at the same time that feels like I sucked up a bunch of water up there. The burning and throbbing moves and pulsates from my left eye down to my neck by my ear. The pain in my ear intensifies. At this point my heart is racing. I wonder if this is normal. Should I call 911? Is this normal for someone to be in this much pain? I throw up and go into shakes. My whole body begins to sweat and I shake and tremor. My husband sitting scared. I want to cry but I dont want to lose control. I rock back and forth counting in a pattern (much like childbirth coping) praying for it to pass. When its done I feel like my head jogged the mile in under 5minutes and IM exhausted. i cry the next morning all day scared of whats going to happen the next night!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!