Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to site, CH sufferer (Read 1997 times)
ripra
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

albany, ny
new to site, CH sufferer
Nov 24th, 2012 at 5:11pm

I have been getting cluster headaches since I was 15 years old. I am a 20 yr old female college student and I feel as though these headaches have destroyed a part of me. I currently take a medrol dose pack at the onset of a headache along with 240mg of verapamil and 5mg zomig nasal sprays for breakthrough headaches. Although the steroids have seemed to temporarily ward off a few headaches, I still get severe cluster headaches every day for weeks at a time. I live in constant fear of when the next one will come. 2 nights ago, I had one last lasted over 4 hours which is extremely strange because usually they never last longer than an hour and a half. I threw up multiple times as a reaction to the pain and my parents wanted to take me to the hospital. Not many people understand what I am going through. They do not realize the immensity of the pain that I suffer on a daily basis because I seem healthy and I am young. What are some ways that you can prevent an attack with natural remedies? All of these medications cannot be good for the rest of my body.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: new to site, CH sufferer
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 5:46pm

I'm a bit confused by how you're taking your medication (or how I'm reading it).

Medrol is a steroid related to prednisione. Something like this is used at the start of a cluster cycle with a taper dose, starting high and tapering off over about 10 days. It will normally prevent most CHs from happening and it allows time for a longer term preventive to build up.

Verapamil is a good preventive taken during a cluster cycle. A dose of 240mg is fairly low with many needing 360-480mg a day to be effective and some need around 1000mg. It can take 7-10 days for it to become effective.

When you get a CH the zomig will kill off a CH, but also look look at using oxygen (great link on the left) and / or imitrex injections.

For a more natural approach, also look at using vitamin D3 - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - it has been getting good results too.

You're right about most people just not having a clue what we go through. However here everyone gets it as we either have CH or they are supporters who see just what we are hit with when a CH hits.

Keep reading and you'll learn more than most neurologists know about CH.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!