Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello all! (Read 1347 times)
Dannyboy66
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello all!
Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:50am

Hello, I am actually not new but has been a few years since I have been on here. I have been battling the beast on my own and I realize that people who dont understand what we go though could never be as supportive as other clusterheads. My wife tries. She has always woke up with me and rubbed my shoulders. It means so much to have her there. We recently seperated. Partly because of the headaches partly because of my anger and disorganized thoughts during a cycle. I am about two months into this one and for some reason lately they have been frequent yet manageable. Last night had three attacks. My benefits ran out recently so no more imitrex injections. I have two ice packs that i apply to my neck and temples. Seems to help. Still taking verap but we all know its powers are limited. Oxygen was being covered by insurance but is not now. Doc gave me fioricet with codeine but is pretty stingy with it. Seems to help a little. It helps my Mom but I think hers are more tension or Migraines. Look I am not the type to seek support. I am 6'6" 270 lbs. I am muscular and athletic. I love playing Ice Hockey but a cycle will postpone my love for months at a time. I am reaching out to others who are going through the same thing I am. Thank You all and I am sorry that you were chosen to receive this affliction. Dan Walker

IP Logged

Dannyboy66
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

By the Way
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 11:07am

During this cycle I experienced one that hit me so fast and so hard that I am thinking it might have put another level on the KIP scale. I have been episodic for over 20 years. This one was the worst I can remember. If you are like me you remember very well the REAL BAD ONES. This one hit on my way home from work and lasted 60 minutes. I spent most of the time rockin on the shower floor. Crying, Sobbing, Cussing, Praying, Moaning, and Rubbing. Why is there something inside of our brains that at times makes us think we are going to die? I remember begging God to please take care of my Family over and over. I just knew I was checking out. Why are some SOOOO bad and others tolerable? (At least tolerable to us). Why? WHY?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Hello all!
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 11:50am

Dan, larger hospitals often offer low/no cost clinics; might be worth calling around.

And, talk to your doc about a trial of this med. As effective as Imitrex for many but per dose cost is much less. But long run costs will likely be less if you are using a preventive, ala Verapamil, saving you $ for abortives when an attack comes thru.
==
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====
Since this abstract was first posted Zyprexa has appeared in some lists of recommended meds for CH. [BJ]
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:43am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 12:56pm

Sorry they're back Danny, two suggestions given your current situation

The "Batch regimen" Go to the meds section and read the post "123 pain free days and I think I know why" A daily vitamin/anti inflammatory regimen, literally pennies a day, that's providing incredible benefits to those that try it. many going pain free. It's cheap, good for you even without CH, and may actually stop the pain. Please take the time to read it.

Then consider our alternate site, clusterbusters.com   they advocate treatments outside of mainstream medicine and are turning out some pretty impressive success stories.

Joe
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012 at 12:57pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:53am

Really sorry to hear you are in such pain. And to have no insurance on top of it, that compounds how bad this sucks. How much would O2 if you purchased it on your own? I mention this because it is such a great abortive, and often, there are people who are willing to help: family, friends, church, fraternal organizations that kind of thing. Let us know how you get on, OK? blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!