Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisone Taper (Read 1860 times)
lsarver3808
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

South Park, PA
Prednisone Taper
Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:44am

Hubby is still pain free since starting the prednisone taper.  This was after he came off Topamax.  Is still doing d3.  My question is once the prednisone is gone, how soon after do the headaches return?  We are hoping the d3 has kicked in and sent the attacks into remission.  He is feeling wonderful and hopeful!  I am wary until the prednisone is gone and headaches are too.

Lori

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Prednisone Taper
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:50pm

Unless there is another active preventive or the cycle has ended, CHs tend to return pretty quickly after a prednisione taper ends.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 10:41am

No way to say for sure, unfortunately. I've had some tapers that were able to break a cycle, and others that were not. Use this "break" to find some backup measures like O2 and perhaps some other prevents in the event the beast comes roaring back.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:58pm

It's always been only very temporary relief for me before the clusters return. Better have a 'Plan B'.

I4B

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:55am

hi lori,
           I went on a prednisone taper for a week and started the d3 regime the same day I stopped, unfortunately the ch started about 2 days after I stopped prednisone.  but everyones different.  2 weeks in to my d3 regime, im down to 1 hit a day, only about a 4. so hopefully he will see a reduction in intensity like im feeling now.  but as you were being told, just in case get that o2, stack the fridge with red bull etc etc.   
the one thing ive learnt here, is that it effects everone differently.
good luck with the d3 regime.
kindest regards
colin

IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:52am

I just ended my prednisone taper yesterday - I have been on the d3 regiment at the same time - I didn't realize the affect prednisone had on d3 at the time.  Hoping to have these shadows cleared up soon.  I haven't had a bad hit in about 6 days now which is awesome!

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!