Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Odd(?) symptoms (Read 1091 times)
CHfather
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Odd(?) symptoms
Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:24pm

My daughter is in her cycle right now (3-4 weeks into it), and she experiencing some symptoms that I haven't heard/read about.  She's having stronger shadows than she's had in the past, and today the CH side of her face is very red and feels sunburned.  She also gets occasional "lightning-bolt" pain, lasting just a very brief time (less than a second)-- the kind of pain that I think of as being typical of trigeminal neuralgia.

She doesn't have oxygen (I know, believe me, I know!!) and she treats her CH attacks by blowing cool air from a fan onto her CH side, or using ice packs.  She says that it works really well for her . . . but I guess I'm wondering whether maybe she's somehow irritating the trigeminal nerve by doing that, and that's what her symptoms are about.

Anyone get those symptoms?  Any comments?

Thanks very much.  (I'm a long-time lurker and learner here, and I'm pretty active over at ClusterBusters, where I have also posted this question.)

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Re: Odd(?) symptoms
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:56pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's not unheard of to be "blessed" with more than one type of headache. Of course, new and different symptoms should always be reported to your doctor.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

CHfather
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:21pm

Thanks, Nani. 
8345 posts!  Wow--what a generous person you are.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:08am

I have both trigeminal neuralgia and CHs. Not much of a blessing, but there ya go. That lightning bolt is just one of the ways trigeminal pain can manifest. There are others, and they are even more painful than a full on CH attack. Remember it is the trigeminal nerve involvement that is behind the pain of CHs to begin with. So here's the sermon précis: get O2. The first pain to yield to the ministrations of high flow O2 was the trigeminal, leaving me with "only" the CH-eye is going to burst pain. Then that yielded, too. I have no evidence for this, other than anecdotal, but it seems the more efficiently we abort any of the hits, the less likely they are to continue in duration and frequency. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

CHfather
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:59am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:08am:
I have no evidence for this, other than anecdotal, but it seems the more efficiently we abort any of the hits, the less likely they are to continue in duration and frequency. Blessings. lance
  Thank you very much, lance.  Incidentally, I made a similar anecdotal observation over at cb.com just a few days ago, based on my daughter's situation (she used to have O2) and that of some other posters there. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!