Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! My husband was just diagnosed! (Read 5632 times)
jonsgirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Help! My husband was just diagnosed!
Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:37am

Hi!
My husband was just diagnosed. I have never seen someone in this much physical pain before. I thought I was watching him dying in front of me when I saw it happen. I am terrified for the pain he is going thru and feel totally helpless. He only has Healthy way LA which is a county insurance, and I am grateful that we have even that but it is so frustrating that they say the next available appointment to see a primary is October 25th! We were prescribed imitrex shots and Zofran, which thank god I am having some help to pay for it this time. I welcome any advice that you can give. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is comforting to know we are not alone. -Lori

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: Help! My husband was just diagnosed!
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:54am

Hi Lori,
Welcome to the most helpful and knowledgeable group of fantastic people who call this place...Clusterville Wink

You're right, you are not alone!  There are over 11,600 members here and many are like yourself, loving supporters who want to help, but feel helpless; at least in the beginning.

This will get easier as you and your husband learn more about this living nightmare we call CH's for short.  There are a couple dozen wonderful tabs on the left side of your computer screen which will help educate you two moreso than you know now.  Once armed with this knowledge, you will most likely know more than the doctors, seriously.

A few key subjects that come to mind you might want to read up on...Hyperventilating 100% Oxygen, Water, Slamming a Redbull, Melatonin before bed, Testing his Vitamin D3 levels, Anti-inflammatory vitamin regimen, Acidity vs Alkalinity, the Imitrex Tip, Transitional/Preventive and Abortive treatments, etc....there's so much to learn which will help you feel very helpful to your husband.

Pain Free Wishes Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:55am by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:24am

Hi and welcome.

Great supporters like you make a huge difference to anyone with CH, so you're far from helpless when he is in pain (which we know too well).

You're somewhere where people understand what both of you are going though as everyone here either has CH or supports someone with it. So any questions you have, just ask.

Whilst the next appointment is a while off, try ringing up for cancellations and last minute availability. It might get him seen sooner.

Do take notes about his CHs, like pain level, time / date, duration, symptoms, etc. It can help.

Imitrex shots will kill off CHs but they are not cheap (as you've realised). What work really well and is a lot cheaper, is oxygen. Read about it at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. I can kill mine off in about 5 minutes using 25lpm and a non-rebreather mask.

I'm not sure what the Zofran is. It appears to be good for anti-nausea, which isn't too common with CH.

Also he will need a preventive, to try to cut down how many CHs he gets. Verapamil or lithium are good for this, with a taper dose of predenisione as a short term preventive whilst the main preventive has time to build up.

Now start reading like mad and learn all you can about CH. It really makes a difference.

IP Logged

jonsgirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:17am

Thank you so much for your responses. I have been so sad for him and for us but we have always been fighters so this is no time to cry in a corner. I am going to help him research the heck out of this and get him started on the things I have seen recommended. And stay connected here. I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:22am

Supporters for President!!!

G'day Lori, and welcome. One of the very good ways to help is to sit with him when he's perfectly ok, hold hands, and ask how you can best help.

I truly beg you not be offended if he says that during an attack he wants to be left entirely alone. Many, many of us are like this  (Touch me, I keel you!)  but please don't take it as rejection. There's other things happening and we never mean it like it sounds.

Running interference for him in public or amongst family, ensuring there's coffee and ice packs on hand, checking and double checking his medications and simply respecting his hell can make make so much difference.

Otherwise just keep doing as you're doing, learning all you can about this dread disease because knowlege is power, but it's also terrifically important you take time out for yourself.

Lori time.

Go out with friends, get your hair done,  do good works for others. It's a beast we deal with but it can't be allowed to destroy lives so just talk your man. He'll likely respect you for it.

We do.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:05pm

Brian,

Good on you my friend for an exceptionally well worded and valuable piece of advice to cluster headache supporters and to Lori in particular.

I''l buy the beer next time I'm down your way...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jonsgirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 4:34pm

Thank you so much Brian. I have been giving him space during attacks. I know he needs to fight that part of the battle by himself. Its so hard going to work each day knowing that a few hours after I leave his hell begins and doesn't let up for hours and hours. I have gotten him the vitamins recommended and I am scrambling like hell to try and get him oxygen and the right meds. Not having proper insurance and easy access to a doctor makes it a bit more difficult but NOT IMPOSSIBLE! I will not let these clusters destroy his life or mine. We may have to learn how to deal with them but I will fight till my last breathe to make it easier on him. Thank you again Brian! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 4:59pm

That is one great attitude that will make a huge amount of difference for both of you.

Each step forward will make a difference. And don't forget to enjoy life between the hits too, don't let CH be the only thing in your lives.

IP Logged

DennyM
CH.com Junior

shoodabinanun

Cairns, Queensland
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 5:08am

Hello Lori,

I've not been near this site for many years - for reasons that are unimportant and have nothing to do with CH. My name is Denny - not short for anything - and for more years than I care to think about have been Aussie Brian's supporter.

There is no easy advice I can give you beyond just being there for your Jon. I understand completely why there are times when his suffering sends you into a corner to sob your heart out because you feel so helpless. Then again - there are moments when the frustration gets on top of you and you just wish you were a hundred miles away and the huge guilts that follow make you wonder about yourself.

Lori -your man is all important and he needs you - just to be there! Try and imagine the boot on the other foot. (ie - you the sufferer - Jon the supporter). Where would you want him to be?

At the same time - please don't let CH run your lives. This is not easy! Sometimes it's hard to believe in the light at the end of the tunnel. Medications that work for one cycle may not necessarily work for the next. Many sufferers have found relief from oxygen (O2) but the availability can be a problem - depending on where you live.

Lori - we are all on your side here. Now that I have regular computer access I'll be logging into this site more often - hopefully. So please, please get in touch - if only to scream! Do it here, rather than upset the neighbours!

You & Jon are in my prayers. Love & Blessings
Denny

Forgive them their sins against us, just don't let them forget 'em.

IP Logged

bcsanders
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 6:11pm

Lori,
I consider myself somewhat lucky in that I feel I have a mild case of CH.  mine are episodic and come every 4 years.  Back in 1987 when they started i was diagnosed with bad sinus headaches.  The runny nose and teary eye must have given it away.  Back then there was no internet and no great support system from the best people in the world on this site.   This is the first year since 1987 I went to a neurologist.  The meds are helping and the advice on the site is invaluable.  I was foolish not to see a neuro and do more research on this site.   The meds, treatments and options are so much better than they were even 10 years ago.   Your husband is blessed he has u as an advocate.  Arm yourself with the kmowlege of this site and other good ones where u can find them but we r always here for u.   

Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!