Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !? (Read 37139 times)
Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !?
Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:34pm

Hello,

I have been happily without cluster headache attacks for 2 years now.

I believe that this is because of acetaldehyde blocker called ACETIUM (contains L-cysteine amino acid which react in stomach with acetaldehyde).

I read lots of articles and web-discussions about trickers for cluster headache.  To my surprise quite a many of those were somehow related to acetaldehyde (alcohol, yogurt ext).

At the same time the product called acetium was invented and appeared to market (I think it is originally targeted preventing stomach cancer).

So I started using this...and my spring and autumn cluster attacks never appeared again...

I have also noted that things before triggering my cluster don't have any effect (alcohol, stress, little sleep ext.).

Any experience?? Comments??

best regards, Isto

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !?
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 1:00pm

Love these first posts.  Stick around and read read read.  Gettin educated is a first priority.

Potter

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:14pm

The acid in vinegar?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:40pm

Hi

I think you are spot on. The cause of CH is properly do to an imbalance in our microbiome. Acetium is perhaps a solution, but a combination of a good probiotic and prebiotic are effective too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:47pm

??????????

Go Beavs

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 5:34pm

How to make yourself look credible
1. Claim that vinegar acid cures or helps cluster headaches.
2. Claim that cluster is caused by an inbalence in microbes.
3. Link to two studies that do not have anything to do with cluster headaches.
4.??????
5. Profit

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 6:16pm

It seems that we have an increased level of acetaldehyde, maybe because of a defect ADH4 gene, candida infection or/and a high level of the bacteria helicobacter pylori.

When the acetldehyde level reaches a certain point do to eg. candida, a high dose of histamine will be released and a CH attack can occur.

Cluster headache is associated with the alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4) gene

Production of carcinogenic acetaldehyde by Candida albicans from patients with potentially malignant oral mucosal disorders

Lipoic Acid Proven to Clear Acetaldehyde in Humans

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 7:10pm

Isto wrote,

I believe that this is because of acetaldehyde blocker called ACETIUM (contains L-cysteine amino acid which react in stomach with acetaldehyde).

I read lots of articles and web-discussions about trickers for cluster headache.  To my surprise quite a many of those were somehow related to acetaldehyde (alcohol, yogurt ext).

At the same time the product called acetium was invented and appeared to market (I think it is originally targeted preventing stomach cancer).

So I started using this...and my spring and autumn cluster attacks never appeared again...

I have also noted that things before triggering my cluster don't have any effect (alcohol, stress, little sleep ext.).

It's all in your head "HYPOTHALAMUS" not in your stomach
that cause  Smiley.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 7:32pm

Hi Hoppy,

Haven't you heard about The Gut/Brain Connection?  Wink

Intestinal bacteria influence brain activity in healthy humans

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 7:58pm

Hi nhs,
Your links have nothing to do with   Smiley

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013 at 8:50pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 8:01pm

Hoppy wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 7:58pm:
Hi nhs,
Your links have nothing to do with   Smiley

Hoppy.

What Hoppy said.

Potter
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013 at 8:20pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 8:57pm

What potter said.

IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:54am

Hi

Since it is difficult to explain and especially to understand it makes no sense of continuing to discuss the topic. I do not want to start another long discussion because I still remember what happned back in 2009 when I recommended, you all to take vitamin D and magnesium.  Undecided

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:24am

I no longer discount anything nhs has to say. I ridiculed him when he recommended vitamin D, and now I realize I was wrong, having become one of the more vocal vitamin D3 converts.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:02am

Let's cut the new guy a little bit of slack. He found something he thinks stopped his CH. We ridiculed those drug seekers who suggested LSD. Mushrooms or seeds could help CH, we ridiculed those space geeks who suggested Oxygen could help CH, we chases Niels off the board when he suggested Vitamin D-3 could help sufferers, does anyone else see a pattern forming here????

This person suggested something that was given to him as a potential treatment to assist with CH. He wasn't hawking Acai Juice that he happens to be a dealer for, he's not trying to make any money off of us, just suggesting a treatment that he thinks helped his CH. I suspect after the "warm greeting" he has received he won't be back. What a shame if he's a CH sufferer, and the one community where he's supposed to find support, decided to dog pile him and chase him away.  Undecided

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 4:59pm

I for one thought our posts were quite constructive, to
enable debate.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:27pm

Like whatever works for your headaches, that's great, but color me skeptical.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:19pm

Isto wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:34pm:
Hello,

best regards, Isto

Well sir I see you poppin in and out daily.  Have you read any of the self help links on the board?

Potter

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:07am

This was brought up long ago.  If you look way back you'll see posts about putting blu cheese in your arm pits and taking a vinegar bath!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 9:47am

Hello,

Thanks for your comments (most of them quite funny Wink.

I am somewhat surprised, because none/or very few have had any interest why I ended up to testing acetium/acetaldehyde blocker (normally >50% of people should be in this category).

And yes, I have tested during last 10-15 years close to everything (except mushrooms and LSC). 

Those who might be interested more please read below. Others please don’t, because the text might irritate you (there is no links to the references and text is not that scientific)

Brg. Isto

Substance that are sometimes mentioned as triggers for cluster headache;
Alcohol
-      One of the best known “starter” of Horton headache. A product of alcohol metabolism is acetaldehyde is created when the alcohol in the liver is broken down by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.  Microbes in mouth produce more acetaldehyde from strong liquour than mild drinks.  Better to avoid drinks that have high acetaldehyde content (because of production methods) like sherry, strong fruid liquid, calvados ext.
Nitrates, nitric oxide producing substances
-      This is not clear to me (is there connection to acetaldehyde?), though I have found an article “Mechanism for the inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase by nitric oxide” (which could mean that there is after all a link between acetaldehyde and nitrates).
Food that may contain acetaldehyde
-      Products may come to contain acetaldehyde during the production process (e.g. fermentation) or acetaldehyde can be added to a product to improve its taste and smell. Food products containing acetaldehyde: yogurt, fruit juice, pureed fruit (even baby food), preserved vegetables, soy sauce, vinegar products.
Aged and Cultured Dairy Products
-      Cultured dairy products include buttermilk, sour cream and aged cheeses such as  blue cheese, Brie, Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, mozzarella, Roquefort, Stilton,  Parmesan, provolone and Romano. If you suffer from frequent headaches, avoid or  limit these foods. If you enjoy dairy products, choose those that are less  likely to cause symptoms. Such foods include homogenized 2 percent or skim  milk, American cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and cream cheese. A  modest serving of yogurt, approximately one-half cup, is also acceptable
Smoking
-      Smoking is one of the most common and strongest cluster headache triggers. Tobacco smoke contains acetaldehyde
Ripe fruit
-      Contains some amounts of acetaldehyde
Sugar
-      Candida (yeast infections) is often related to cluster headache and sugar is typically related to candica. Candica produce as side product acetaldehyde
Strong-smelling substances, such as solvents, perfumes, petrol, etc
-      Some this type of volatiles may contain acetaldehyde. It has been reported that persons that are very sensitive to acetaldehyde will feel sick and are very sensitive for smells of solvents ext. (like person in hangover is sensitive for strong smells)

Substance that are often used for self-treatment;
Magnesium
-      Magnesium helps break down acetaldehyde in body (magnesium may be used to help enzyme (aldehyde dehydrogenases) function).  Magnesium supplements have been shown to be of some benefit in about 40% of patients who have low serum levels of magnesium.
Curcumin
-      Polyphenol which has evidence of reducing acetaldehyde concentration of the blood.  Curcumin has been mentioned as one possible herbal treatment for cluster headache.
Oxygen
-      This is a mystery to me (=did not find relevant articles about this)
-      There is articles about atomic oxygen reacting with acetaldehyde where the reaction results are acetic acid, CO, CO2 and formaldehyde (but there should not be atomic oxygen in the body)
Water
-      Drinking excess of water is mentioned helping (during attack)
-      Not clear if this is related to acetaldehyde (personally I think it might be similar case as preventing hangover with drinking water)

Other issues of interest;
Oral hygiene
-      By lowing the microbial levels in the mouth also reduce alcohol based acetaldehyde formation.  Better to get periodaltal disease treated.
Disulfiram (= Antabus)
-      Not mentioned as a trigger, but of interest me anyway. Inhibits acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, the enzyme responsible for the metabolism of acetaldehyde.  It would be great if someone of us (= Horton effected people) would dear to make an experiment (might be extremely painful, but might give one indication of the reason for cluster headache!!!).

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 9:55am

WOW! Most of that is way over my head as I don't lean towards the scientific aspects of CH. Many here are more educated in regards to the receptors involved in CH and will hopefully chime in. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

As to why oxygen works....yeah I don't have a clue as to the WHY it works, but it aborts an attack for me in about 6 minutes. Check out this link on how to use it, discovering how to correctly use oxygen all but eliminated the need for any other abortives for me.

Wishing some pain free time your way.

Joe

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:32am

Isto wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 9:47am:
Hello,

Thanks for your comments (most of them quite funny Wink.

I am somewhat surprised, because none/or very few have had any interest why I ended up to testing acetium/acetaldehyde blocker (normally >50% of people should be in this category).

And yes, I have tested during last 10-15 years close to everything (except mushrooms and LSC). 

Those who might be interested more please read below. Others please don’t, because the text might irritate you (there is no links to the references and text is not that scientific)

Brg. Isto

Substance that are sometimes mentioned as triggers for cluster headache;
Alcohol
-      One of the best known “starter” of Horton headache. A product of alcohol metabolism is acetaldehyde is created when the alcohol in the liver is broken down by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.  Microbes in mouth produce more acetaldehyde from strong liquour than mild drinks.  Better to avoid drinks that have high acetaldehyde content (because of production methods) like sherry, strong fruid liquid, calvados ext.
Nitrates, nitric oxide producing substances
-      This is not clear to me (is there connection to acetaldehyde?), though I have found an article “Mechanism for the inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase by nitric oxide” (which could mean that there is after all a link between acetaldehyde and nitrates).
Food that may contain acetaldehyde
-      Products may come to contain acetaldehyde during the production process (e.g. fermentation) or acetaldehyde can be added to a product to improve its taste and smell. Food products containing acetaldehyde: yogurt, fruit juice, pureed fruit (even baby food), preserved vegetables, soy sauce, vinegar products.
Aged and Cultured Dairy Products
-      Cultured dairy products include buttermilk, sour cream and aged cheeses such as  blue cheese, Brie, Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, mozzarella, Roquefort, Stilton,  Parmesan, provolone and Romano. If you suffer from frequent headaches, avoid or  limit these foods. If you enjoy dairy products, choose those that are less  likely to cause symptoms. Such foods include homogenized 2 percent or skim  milk, American cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and cream cheese. A  modest serving of yogurt, approximately one-half cup, is also acceptable
Smoking
-      Smoking is one of the most common and strongest cluster headache triggers. Tobacco smoke contains acetaldehyde
Ripe fruit
-      Contains some amounts of acetaldehyde
Sugar
-      Candida (yeast infections) is often related to cluster headache and sugar is typically related to candica. Candica produce as side product acetaldehyde
Strong-smelling substances, such as solvents, perfumes, petrol, etc
-      Some this type of volatiles may contain acetaldehyde. It has been reported that persons that are very sensitive to acetaldehyde will feel sick and are very sensitive for smells of solvents ext. (like person in hangover is sensitive for strong smells)

Substance that are often used for self-treatment;
Magnesium
-      Magnesium helps break down acetaldehyde in body (magnesium may be used to help enzyme (aldehyde dehydrogenases) function).  Magnesium supplements have been shown to be of some benefit in about 40% of patients who have low serum levels of magnesium.
Curcumin
-      Polyphenol which has evidence of reducing acetaldehyde concentration of the blood.  Curcumin has been mentioned as one possible herbal treatment for cluster headache.
Oxygen
-      This is a mystery to me (=did not find relevant articles about this)

-      There is articles about atomic oxygen reacting with acetaldehyde where the reaction results are acetic acid, CO, CO2 and formaldehyde (but there should not be atomic oxygen in the body)
Water
-      Drinking excess of water is mentioned helping (during attack)
-      Not clear if this is related to acetaldehyde (personally I think it might be similar case as preventing hangover with drinking water)

Other issues of interest;
Oral hygiene
-      By lowing the microbial levels in the mouth also reduce alcohol based acetaldehyde formation.  Better to get periodaltal disease treated.
Disulfiram (= Antabus)
-      Not mentioned as a trigger, but of interest me anyway. Inhibits acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, the enzyme responsible for the metabolism of acetaldehyde.  It would be great if someone of us (= Horton effected people) would dear to make an experiment (might be extremely painful, but might give one indication of the reason for cluster headache!!!).

You must have googled every thing in your post.  Except Oxygen for CH.  I googled for you,

The evidence is overwhelming.

Potter

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #22 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:46pm

Oxygen is a vasoconstrictor when inhaled in high doses. While cluster isn't exactly a vascular issue, it helps calm down the run away dilation going on inside your brain to reduce stress to the trigeminal nerve system, which aborts attacks.
That's how it's been explained to me by neurologists, at least. Someone feel free to correct me.

IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #23 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:16pm

Having only been on this board for a few months, maybe i am still too new to say how things are.  But here goes.  I think that when veterans and old timers on this site see a new poster posting advice that is out of the norm, it makes them weary.  In the few months I've been on this site I do notice a lot of new folks hopping on and posting advice with their first post, without having read anything on the board or even introduced themselves yet.  I think its natural to be skeptical of new ideas when it comes from a stranger.  Like I said, I'm still a newbie myself.  When I came here I knew nothing of Clusters, but I have learned much since then. I guess my point is for new folks - get to know us and let us get to know you before you post your CH cure that can seem like its from left field...

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #24 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:15pm

Teej...if you're a CH'er......you've been around long enough to comment on posts and say how things are! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!