Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !? (Read 37140 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Re: Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !?
Reply #25 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:51pm

Hi Isto,
Very interesting post. Yes alcohol and food containing
nitrates are known triggers for CH's,but not for all of us.
I know of at least two here that can enjoy sausage bacon
and eggs for breakfast and a beer a lunchtime with no
worry's. As for smoking the jury is still out on that one.
There is no concrete evidence that smoking is a trigger
for CH's you need to look further afield than google for
this one.

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:47pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

idorko
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central Maine
Reply #26 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:07pm

I can't have nitrates and tobacco smoke is a huge trigger for me.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #27 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:24pm

A pilot study but, nevertheless, rare data on the link between CH and smoking.
========================
J Headache Pain. 2013 Jun 6;14(1):48. [Epub ahead of print]
Impact of continuing or quitting smoking on episodic cluster headache: a pilot survey.
Ferrari A, Zappaterra M, Righi F, Ciccarese M, Tiraferri I, Pini LA, Guerzoni S, Cainazzo MM.
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The majority of patients suffering from cluster headache (CH) are smokers and it has been suggested that smoking may trigger the development of CH. The aim of this pilot survey was to describe: 1. the differences between current, former, and never smokers CH patients; 2. if smoking changed during an active cluster period; 3. if CH changed after quitting.

METHODS: All outpatients with episodic CH according to the criteria of ICHD-II who were consecutively seen for the first time from October 2010 to April 2012 at a headache centre were interviewed by phone using a specifically prepared questionnaire. Statistical differences between continuous variables were analysed by the Student's t-test or the one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA), followed by Newman-Keuls post-hoc testing. Comparisons between percentages were made using the Chi-square test or Fisher's exact test. All data were expressed as the mean +/- standard deviation (SD).

RESULTS: Among a total of 200 patients surveyed (172 males, 28 females; mean age +/- SD: 48.41 +/- 12 years) there were 60%, 21%, and 19% of current, former, and never smokers, respectively. Current smokers reported longer active periods (12.38 +/- 10 weeks) and a higher maximum number of attacks per day (3.38 +/- 1) compared to never smoker CH patients (5.68 +/- 4 weeks, P <0.05 and 2.47 +/- 1, P <0.05, respectively). During the active period most of the patients stated to decrease (45.7%) or not to change (45.7%) the number of cigarettes smoked. Among those who decreased smoking, most (83.8%) reported that they had less desire to smoke. After quitting, the majority of former smokers stated that their headache had not changed.

CONCLUSIONS: PATIENTS WITH EPISODIC CH WHO ARE ALSO SMOKERS APPEAR TO HAVE A MORE SEVERE FORM OF THE DISORDER. HOWEVER, IT IS UNLIKELY THAT BETWEEN CH AND SMOKING THERE IS A CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP, AS CH PATIENTS RARELY IMPROVE QUITTING SMOKING.

PMID:23742010[PubMed]

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:27pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #28 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 8:09am

And of course, none of what is suggested explains the months - years of ch dormancy, when nothing triggers an attack.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #29 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 6:34pm

Hi Bob,
And that's the mystery of CH's.

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2013 at 6:36pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #30 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 11:14am

What Joe said.

In the 1890's the impressionists were degenerate art. Now they sell for millions.

Who has contributed more to our relief? The neurologist community or the snake oil "sales people" flogging Vit D or mushrooms. They too were degenerates in this forum in the early days....

I am convinced that there is a relationship between stomach and CH and I for one will use this post to find out more about it.

IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #31 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 8:56am

Isto, are you finnish by any chance ?

I have been sure for quite some time that acetaldehyde plays a major role in my cluster headaches. I made myself pain free (Thanks Clusterbusters) and have successfully stayed this way for over 3 years now. I was chronic prior and 25 years total. Every time I get problems I think the direct cause is acetaldehyde (usually smoking normal cigarettes, no problems with e-cigarettes). I have had this theory for 3 years since I became pain free but now I am virtually sure in my case it is the acetaldehyde.

EDIT: Yeppers, we have f**ked up hypos. It all begins in the hypothalamus. But I can start things going bad by myself with just about anything involving acetaldehyde.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2013 at 9:00am by Tony Only »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #32 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 3:29pm

TeeJ2379 wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:16pm:
Having only been on this board for a few months, maybe i am still too new to say how things are.  But here goes.  I think that when veterans and old timers on this site see a new poster posting advice that is out of the norm, it makes them weary.  In the few months I've been on this site I do notice a lot of new folks hopping on and posting advice with their first post, without having read anything on the board or even introduced themselves yet.  I think its natural to be skeptical of new ideas when it comes from a stranger.  Like I said, I'm still a newbie myself.  When I came here I knew nothing of Clusters, but I have learned much since then. I guess my point is for new folks - get to know us and let us get to know you before you post your CH cure that can seem like its from left field...

You said it well. For me, one of the most important things is to keep my mind open, pretty much to everything. Too many of the great treatments we have nowadays were ridiculed when they first came out. I have studied my condition, cluster headaches, for 25 years. Internet changed the whole ballgame but before that I spent a lot of time in libraries and university libraries reading everything that I though related to mechanisms of CH. I have been laughed at by the doctors when telling them about oxygen, melatonin and various medications which are "official" nowadays. Some doctors even offered the same stuff to me, having forgot I had told them about these years ago. I have not been at CH lectures for years because the news is always old to me. I have given up trying to educate the healthcare. But all this time I have been studying more. CH world is kind of cool place to be nowadays when we have hallucinogens, vitamin D and herbal protocol. I truly believe here is a connection, maybe even the missing link. I am eagerly waiting for the future and studying some more in the meantime.

EDIT: I don't hang around here much. More active on the CB board. Plus Facebook takes the majority of my time.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2013 at 5:53pm by Tony Only »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #33 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 4:09am

CH is a complex disorder. For many years it was known to "have something to do with histamine", until it was realized histamine secretion is only a single side effect. For many years it was known to have something to do with smoking and alcohol consumption, and speculated to be an outcome of substance abuse, until it was realized even babies may suffer from it. 

Today it is known to have "something to do" with many substances and processes - Nitric Oxide and CGRP, hormones and neurotransmitters, circadian rhythm and hypothalamus, autonomic nervous system as well as the trigeminal nerve and now also the vagus nerve etc. etc. Also, you have therapies that are very effective for some and useless for others. You have things that are strong triggers for some and have no effect on others.

So it is safe to say CH may have something to do with anything. If you're a CHer with back issues than your triggers, symptoms and treatments may differ from a CHer with stomach issues or a hormonal imbalance or a certain nutrient deficiency, and so on. For every one of us, CH may have something to do with different things.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #34 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 4:14am

By the way - I had my first CH attack when I was 11. Nobody in my family smoked cigarettes than, nor did I.

IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #35 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm

I think getting too much acetaldehyde certainly does not require smoking or alcohol. Diet and living conditions are enough, and any stomach issues maximize this. The more I read about it now the better I brush my teeth  Cheesy

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #36 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Good luck with that.

IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 11:38am

There seems to be plans to make academic stydy about this (The Efficacy of L-cysteine in Prevention of Cluster Headache).  It seems that this will be paid by Biohit Oy (small private company).  Similar stydy seems to be starting also related to migrane...

You can find information about this via google "The Efficacy of L-cysteine in Prevention of Cluster Headache."

While waiting for some years results from this "A double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled multi-centre trial", please enjoy 41 pages of interesting text (+ lots of references).

IP Logged

Eroc
CH.com Junior

CH.com helped me!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reply #38 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 2:18pm

Well this has caught my attention!   

I will reasearch more about this and perhaps give it a try!  What is too lose? 

E

EHanson1980  
IP Logged

CHfather
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #39 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 11:49am

The clinical trial of Acetium for CH

(Even though I have well over 1,000 posts at CB.com, I don't have enough here to include a link/URL.  So I'll post the main part of the announcement/press release, and I guess you can google key phrases if you want to know more. This is just info -- I have no axe to grind here.)
>>Biohit Oyj Stock Exchange Release April 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm local time (EEST)

Biohit Oyj initiates two clinical trials for prevention of migraine-type headache attacks, testing the efficacy of Acetium® capsule in novel clinical indications. The purpose of the trial is to assess the effect of Acetium® capsule in prevention of headache attacks   among patients suffering from migraine or cluster/Horton headache. Both studies will be conducted as multi-center clinical trials in collaboration with Terveystalo Oy and Aava Medical Center altogether in six cities in Finland.

The study hypothesis is based on the fact that acetaldehyde liberates histamine from the mast cells which are ubiquitous in all human tissues.  Histamine in turn is a well-known trigger of the acute attacks of vascular-type headaches (migraine, cluster).  By preventing the local effects of acetaldehyde with Acetium® capsules, it might be possible to prevent the headache attacks in these two categories of patients.

Both studies will be conducted as placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials, where half of the subjects will receive the active compound and the other half will receive a placebo.

Acetium® capsule in prevention of headache attacks among patients with cluster headache:
    altogether, 100 subjects with clinically diagnosed cluster headache will be enrolled in the study. <<

IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #40 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 7:56am

Hello,

I just read some posts in "clusterbuster pages" related to acetium...some major misunderstanings might be there...

I try to explain (about how I understand/not sure if I am absolutely right);

1) Trying to stop "already started period with acetium" - this might be a bad move !
- acetium worked with me by "preventing" periods
- - start taking acetium between periods (I took 4 per day in the beginning, later 1 before going to sleep has been enough, if I drink alcohol or smoke I take some more)
- NOTE; acetium might even have negative effects, IF you already are in period (not sure - pure guess, but detoxing effect might increase blood circulation - thus making headache worse)

2) food additive L-cysteine tested from local store - NOT likely to work
- even though main component in acetium is L-cysteine, additives in acetium prevents acetaldehyde to be dissolved/getting free again in your stomach...

Comments??

brg. Isto

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #41 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 1:37pm

I find this topic super interesting...I am very interested in the results of the study CHfather is referring to.

My main question is we know Isto claims to have good results with Acetium....who else has tried this and think they have missed a cycle.

I will say if you are episodic and don't have headaches for 2 years or so that does not mean you are cured. I went 2 1/2 years without CH only to just have it come back currently.

IP Logged

didgens
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #42 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 5:02pm

I actually bought a box  of acetium off the internet .. hey ,, it was cheep .. just L-cistine and I figured why not.  But in treating my sons acid reflux his cluster period either ended or treating the stomach issues resolved it and he never tried the acetium.  box is sitting un opened on his desk. will have to wait and see what happens .. but im open to trying it at this point as its natural to the body.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #43 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 4:37pm

To acetaldehyde or not to acetaldehyde? That is the question. Just kidding....I just wanted to see if I could spell it correctly.
There could very well be a connection between the stomach and clusters. I don't know but will wait and see what the studies tell us. I'm certainly not going to dismiss it just because it was posted by a newbie.
The subject of clusters and the worms and germs in the gut was on the site years ago but not much came of it.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #44 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 8:18am

I have used this for quite a while now. It works for me. But I use it just to fix issues I get from my own actions.

I was chronic, found Clusterbusters, been managing my clusters with Busting, Anti-Inflammatory regimen and Herbal Protocol ever since. I add Acetium only when I smoke regular cigarettes (mainly smoke e-cigs). If I don't I get shadows and potential hits.

When chronic I got circa 2000 hits annually (kips 6-10). With busting, I get circa 20 hits annually (kips 0.1-2).

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 12:01am

gee, very interesting !
  also shows we should all temper our replies at times.
while not related, directly, batch also delves into our ph levels !  and has often written of the benefits of doing so in order to absorb parts of the regime...

I personally believe, that everyone is different and that ch effects people differently. There are some here that have gone completely pain free with the regime, others that it improves there symptoms dramatically, but doesn't get them to a complete state of being pain free. The body is such a complex organ, I mean, some of the threads that Batch puts up, showing how each part of the regime effects other parts , regarding absorption and at a gene level, to me, is quite amazing. As with this topic, again, at a completely different level, but may also be connected.
That's why we have great minds like Batch and Co to make sense of it all  LOL, but  somewhere amongst it all im sure is that " magic bullet"  well, heres hoping anyways !
I say, keep the discussions and potential idea's flowing, that's whats needed !
regards
colin

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #46 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 5:59pm

This is getting more and more interesting:

The Efficacy of L-cysteine in Prevention of Cluster Headache
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Tony Only
CH.com Junior

Ain't Life Grand

Reply #47 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:23am

Our CH patient community in Finland is working with Biohit with this. Yes, it's very interesting to have actual research done about the subject. I have to add, the compiled information sheet about cluster headaches done by Biohit for this research was one of the best "information packages" about cluster headaches I have read. To me, this at least to some extent adds the role of our intestines in cluster headaches.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #48 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:22am

L-Cysteine seems to be working for me. I'm PF for over a week now, in the middle of a cycle.

I started taking L-Cysteine in 500mg capsules 10 days ago. Since then I had only one attack, and it was on the first day after I started taking it. There were some shadows and I still feel strange (like I do in cycles) but no hits. Prior to that I had an average of 2 hits a day.

This could all be a coincidence, of course, but I think it isn't. The theory of why reduction of acetaldehyde should help in prevention may or may not be true, but I think acetaldehyde IS a trigger, at least for some. 

Some important notes:

A. I'm 4 weeks into cycle. My past 4 cycles were 7-9 weeks long. Before that it was 5-7 weeks long.

B. I'm on the D3 Regimen for some time now which didn't make me PF or prevent the 2 cycles I had in 9 month (used to be once a year), although my attacks did become less aggressive. 6 days ago I stopped taking the D3 and since then I think I had just a little bit more shadows, so I guess it's the combination of the regimen and the L-cysteine that does the magic.

C. Prior to starting the L-Cysteine I already managed to prevent my nocturnal hits (almost) completely with a the relatively harmless combination of 5mg Melatonine, 25mg Amitriptyline and 25mg oral Imitrex. I just switched to 2mg sustained release Melatonin and will try reducing the Amitriptyline and Imitrex in a few days and see what happens.

D. Prior to the L-Cysteine, I usually had 2 daily hits for which I used a total of 2-4mg of Imitrex shots (with the "imitrex tip") and/or O2 + some energy drinks. I don't really need those now.

E. The L-Cysteine only adverse effect on me was an upset stomach. It was solved once I started taking it with food.

Will keep updating.

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #49 - May 7th, 2015 at 7:44pm

An update:

I'm still in cycle but almost PF. In the last 8 days I had 3 minor attacks, which is 1/5 of what I had before I started the L-Cysteine. My response to known triggers is notably reduced. I still have shadows from time to time but not as much.

As far as I can tell, it's the combination of the D3 regimen and the L-cysteine (and B complex) that is responsible for the change. I urge you to try that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!