Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !? (Read 37115 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Acetaldehyde blocker prevents Cluster Headache !?
Reply #50 - May 8th, 2015 at 12:38am

Shooky,

Good update.   L-cysteine is an α-amino acid and also a semi-essential amino acid, which means that it can be biosynthesized in humans.  It has many functions particularly in genetic expression... and as such it supports vitamin D3 in this role... 

The B complex vitamins are also important for a number of reasons...  Both sound promising for you...  and may be helpful for other CH'ers.

If you have any fallout and the beast tries to make a return, you might try adding 5,000 to 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 to see if you can eliminate any cling-on CH symptoms...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #51 - May 8th, 2015 at 8:25pm

Hey Batch. Thanks for the support. Will keep updating.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #52 - May 17th, 2015 at 12:50pm

Hey Guys,  After an up and down week, first part really sucked, Thursday and Friday not too bad, and getting hammered constantly from 9 pm Fri to 11 am Sat I finally felt able to leave the house. Purchased a bottle of l-cysteine and popped 1 500 mg capsule. I know the devil is toying with me but I just got my first full night's sleep and it's 9:40 am Sun morn and still no shadows or ch's. I've had buy days in the past and been fooled before so I'll not be suckered this time but I'm savoring this brief moment. I'll let you know what happens in the following days and weeks.

Sean

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #53 - May 20th, 2015 at 4:09pm

I've got a question for Isto. You mentioned yeast infections as being a potential source of acetaldehyde, what about fungal infections such as athlete's foot?   I have a good reason for asking. I finally started noticing that some of my cycles were coinciding with a flare up in my athlete's foot problem.                                                                                                                                                                           
      My 2013 cycle also fell in that category and at first I ignored it. I went on the d3 regimen, it took 3 or 4 weeks but my cycle ended way early only to relapse a month later. This time I went after that fungal infection with a vengeance and completely cleared it up. That relapse only lasted 3 weeks. Coincidence? Probably.

Sean
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2015 at 4:11pm by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #54 - May 20th, 2015 at 11:27pm

Possibly, however could the flare up in CHs help result in the athletes foot? A CH cycle will impact your body from the stress of a cycle, so other impacts like this could be the result.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #55 - May 21st, 2015 at 12:27am

The chicken or the egg.   Hadn't thought of that, good point. Not this time though, I think I got rid of that little problem for good or at least until I get reinfected.  I will say this, between the D3 regimen and adding one capsule of l-cysteine a day to the mix, life is getting better and better every day. 

This cycle came on harder and faster than any in recent memory and wasn't responding well to O2 like past cycles and I was starting to get a little scared and now, as of Sunday things have turned around. I hope they continue this way cause I'm starting to feel human again.                        

Hats off to Batch.

Sean

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #56 - May 21st, 2015 at 3:14am

If O2 isn't working as well as normal, it might be worth re-reading the oxygen page - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - it might have some hints that might help.

What flow rate are you using? Quite a few people have posted around using higher flow rates changes O2 from not working or working poorly to working well. From my own experience 15lpm on average aborts a CH for min in about 12 min, but at 25lpm it is under 5 minutes.

Another trick is to combine using an energy drink with the O2. Give it a go and see how that goes.

Have you any other abortives, like imitrex injections?

Having multiple methods to abort CHs helps avoid the scare factor.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #57 - May 21st, 2015 at 4:35am

Thanks Mike,    Batch gave me a tip on helping the O2 work better -- hyperventilate for a bit, then completely empty your lungs and suck in a lung full of oxy and hold for 30 sec. It works but it's kind of hard for me to do for reasons you might understand but a non clusterhead  wouldn't.  I've now learned the true value of the dance or rolling on couch or banging ones head against something or whatever distraction technique we use. For some odd reason whenever I hold my breath I tend to hold myself completely still and those stabs or pulses seem tenfold worse then. But his tip works, I just have to practice more.

I use both medical and welding oxy, one with a 0-25 lpm (which is barely enough) and a welding  regulator that can deliver way more than 25 lpm so I can easily hyperventilate on pure oxy if I wanted to but boy can you drain a tank fast doing so.

I should point out I'm not taking any meds except oral sumatriptan at bedtime to get through the night ( it's worked well for many cycles) and then killed that morning wake up call with oxy. Day time hits( which are less frequent) I used to run off but now I use oxy.  It's just that this cycle (and my 2013 cycle) seemed to take it to the next level and my old standbys are having to work overtime to keep up.

I'm not a big fan of energy drinks but I sure love espresso so I use that instead. Hopefully this is all moot point now cause the d3 and l-cysteine seem to be having their desired results.

Sean
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2015 at 9:55am by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #58 - May 22nd, 2015 at 3:43am

good stuff Sean !
Hope this cycle just peters out to a wimper for you !
I too found that if I took a 50mg imigran at night before I went to bed as a preventative, I slept like a baby and missed out on my 2 am wake up call, didn't do it all the time, but after 4-5 days of getting hit at 2 am, it was a gods end to sleep thru. It kinda threw the beast off as well, cause it normally had a ripple effect and kept me pain free for a few nights. I know we are not suppose to use it as a preventative ( before I get berated for doing so)  But the beast don't play by any fair rules, so I didn't....
Hope thing continue getting better Sean
cheers
colin

IP Logged

shooky
CH.com Veteran

33 years of CH.

TLV Israel
Reply #59 - May 22nd, 2015 at 5:15am

On my last cycle, after years of trial and error, I started using a combination of imitrex, melatonin and amitriptyline, all in very small doses (25mg, 3mg, 25mg). I'm in the middle of a cycle now and had only one nocturnal attack so far (in the past it was 1-2 hits a night). I'm also doing the D3 regimen and take l-cysteine daily, which decreased my daily hits by 70-80%.

All in all, my CH become manageable, with only 2-4 weekly hits compared to 20-30 two-three years ago.

WWW https://www.facebook.com/shooky.galili  
IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #60 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 2:17am

I run out from acetium pills (I did not order them in time) and I was happily about 2 weeks without them. I even drink some beer and staid up long without any problems (hevier hangover though..as it seems that acetium helps a lot agains hangover).
I thougt that that's it, no need for those pills...
Unfortunately I ended up eating sauerkraut (which is known for large amount of acetaldehyde)..BAG..shadows next night, I was very, very scared, that now IT begins.
Next day I started taking 4 pills a day..and now about 3 weeks after I am back to one pill in evening.
scery story, but happy end  Smiley

IP Logged

theydontunderstand
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #61 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 8:16pm

I am a new guy here but I would like to throw my 2 cents in.

Tobacco has long been said to be a trigger for CH, it also has not shown to be be very effective in reducing CH when quitting tobacco. I suspect that is because nicotine is a vasoconstictor. Maybe the two cancel each other out a little bit..

I am tying this in because acetaldehyde is known to release histamines. This is very interesting considering Batches' recent revelation concerning diphenhydramine (a histamine blocker) stamping out his CH.

IP Logged

theydontunderstand
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #62 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 8:25pm

Walmart supposedly has some of this. I am off to get some.

The totality of evidence is too much to ignore.

IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #63 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 10:59am

In Canada the trade name is aldesolve (package looks very much the same as acetium)

IP Logged

erk
CH.com Junior

bunker hill , west virginia
Reply #64 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 3:05pm

I have been taking 500mg of L-cysteine for 2 weeks now. I have not noticed any reduction in attacks. Also it has not helped with mild reflux, that famotidine normally takes care of. But I'm wondering if there is in fact a difference between Acetium and L-cysteine from the  local Wally world ? Why would Biohit basically rebadge a readily available vitamin at 10x the cost. Perhaps the bio-availability is different?  IDK
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2015 at 4:44pm by erk »  

IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #65 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 10:17am

Sorry, there is no alternative L-cystein for acetium. Acetium is patented product thus no competition at market.

Yes, it would be nice to use other cheap l-cystiein product.

Acetium has controlled dissolving of l-cystein, and same effect can not be gained with oher products.

Most of the comments in internet (like yours) about l-cystein are not related to acetium.

IP Logged

Isto
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #66 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 1:04pm

It might be that we know more about L-cystein vs. Cluster headache in the end of this year.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
w=1&rank=2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!