Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Abort Ladder (Read 2689 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Abort Ladder
Dec 30th, 2013 at 8:57am

When I first came to this site, I knew very little about CHs or how to deal with them. I didn't even know O2 was generally effective! Since then, I have developed a good means of dealing with the beast while remaining chronic. As many of you have pointed out to newcomers, preventatives and abortives are different. Here, I am describing abortives. While my preventative routine has changed with time, mostly to include the D3 regimen and ONBs, it is my abort ladder I resort to when the beast breaks through. Here then is my ladder:

1. Hit O2 using a demand valve which allows me to control the rate and depth of O2 intake simply by breathing.

2. If that fails to abort, add a double Monster cold and chugged then hit the O2. This works most of the time.

3. When that fails, I chug a second Monster and hit the O2 again using very high flow inhalations. This works like 90% of the time.

4. When that fails, I take a shot of Imitrex (3mg or 2.5ml) or a snort of Migranal, depending on circumstances and O2 until it takes effect. This works 100% of the time so far.

You may have other abortives you use but the idea here is to have a ladder you can climb, giving you more control over your hits, and a means to assess the strength of your hit beyond the level of pain.

How about some of the rest of you? blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Abort Ladder
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 9:10am

I pretty much mirror that except I always use the energy drink while aborting with the 02. If that doesn't kill it I jump right to the imitrex injector.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:01pm

It also means that with such a range of options you still know that you're in control. This is so much better than having just one or two options and if they fail then knowing you're just going to have to ride it out.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:47am

Exactly so, Mike. It's a better plan than just feeling the pain and complaining. lance

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 4:05am

hi wimsey1,
                    thanks for sharing your abort ladder !
  I guess its good to read about others methods.  while I cant comprehend to being chronic, I can relate to the ch attack itself.
so far ( and really crossing fingers here)
a red bull, ice cold slugged down
if unsuccessfull, an imigran tablet
  don't have oxygen ( yet )  with the vit d3 regime and 180mg verapamil as preventative and red bull at the ready, so far so good !! only 1 imigran tab in the last 4 months and nothing higher than a 2-3 kip in the last 6 months.
O2 will be my next go to, if things change from the current situation,  neurologist wanted to try a range of drugs as preventatives as verapamil wasn't working, but combined with batches regime im holding my own.
but it was an interesting read on your abort ladder wimsey1,   apart from the regime, are you also on any other preventatives ?
I cant remember the names of the ones she said I would have to go on, but some came with some severe side effects, and liver or kidney tests for the duration !
she even called them " dirty drugs "
sure glad ive still got the O2 option up my sleeve should things turn.
kindest regards
colin

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:38am

Hi Colin, yes I am on a preventative-640mg verapamil + 300mg lithium + 35mg amitriptyline. Whether or not these are doing much is kinda up for grabs. The most effective method of preventing has been the previous list coupled with an occipital nerve block. How long that lasts is yet to be determined but the first block gave me 9 months pf, and this block was administered around Thanksgiving and I've been pf since then. We'll see, but I'm not jettisoning my abort ladder at this point! blessings. lance

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 1:43am

hi wimsey1, thanks for your reply,  wow, as an episodic sufferer, I cant imagine what it would be like as a chronic sufferer. 
  the big thing im learning/reading here, is nothing is a given !  or take nothing for granted !  everyone's condition seems to be different, in both regularity and treatment, yet alone chronic vs episodic.
  sure is a curve ball of an ailment !   I mean, you break an arm, their can be complications, but its broken and that's that !     (  a pretty open analogy LOL )   but clusters have so many ways of presenting !  strength, regularity etc etc.
  I hope your pain free days continue wimsey1, im riding an uncertain period at the minute myself and just hoping the balance of everything im doing at the moment,the regime, verapomil, redbull, occasional imigran pill  holds its own !
   but ive heard this beast can dish out some real curve balls,  so i'll stay alert and keep reading here and hopefully learn from a few of the " seasoned " campaigners that post on the forum....    I haven't earnt my stripes quite yet  LoL
kindest regards
colin

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:16am

Quote:
I haven't earnt my stripes quite yet  LoL

Well, you have been drafted into the fellowship of sufferers, and that itself is a singular honor.  Cool Advancement will come, never fear. And then you can sit back like the rest of us and tell newbies, yup, been there, done that. blessings. lance

IP Logged

metoo
CH.com Junior

ann arbor mi usa
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 2:00am

Hi, Gang. Well, I'm back. I've actually been back a while, but it's time to say thanks for a lot of things, so thanks to you all.  If I hadn't stumbled onto CH.com a couple of years ago, I honestly don't know what I would have done.  Desperation is a hallmark of this crazy dysfunction.  The 'abort ladder' is such an incredible concept, Lance.  It's so straightforward and such a part of my life now that I don't know why it isn't plastered all over the medical literature.  I know from firsthand experience that there seems to be a pathological aversion to anecdotal medical experience, as if all 'folk' remedies rise to the level the worst of any of them.  I sit here 20 min after a 1:30 wake-up hit typing because of my knowledge of O2.  And it's thanks to you guys.  Yep, got my split doses of sumatriptan setting right next to me.  Again, thanks for this body-saving and $ saving tip, too.  So if you don't hear from me often, please know that in the midst of dealing with the beast, you all continue to enlighten and (often) amuse me as I snuff it out with magic gas and continue to work on suffering with dignity.  Best regards to you all, especially my friend Skyhawk5.

#4 - Avoid annoying people who don't deserve it.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 7:45am

It's good to hear from you again, and I'm glad you find the concept of an abort ladder to be useful. I know it gives me some measure and sense of control. Some. Anyway, I echo everything you said about this site. I believe the good folks here have literally saved my life. Keep in touch, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!