Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still still gone (Read 2004 times)
stillgone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Irvine
Still still gone
Jul 24th, 2014 at 3:55pm

My Name is Michael, I was around 22 years of age when I started getting Migraine Headaches; it was later diagnosed as a Cluster Headache. My story is based on my experience as I remember it. My first headache woke me up out of a deep sleep, I woke up with immense pain over my left eye.  I went to an ENT, Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor. He stated I have a condition known as Cluster Headaches. He told me there was no cure at this time and that I could lessen the attacks by staying away from certain triggers like smoking, caffeine, chocolate and sunlight. So I thought to myself, who does this guy think he is? No cure, he can’t place that type of burden on me. I sought alternative healing methods such as Chiropractors, Acupuncture and even a guy who put some kind of ointment on my head and burnt me with a hot iron. If you’ve suffered these types of headaches you learn something about yourself, well at least I did, displaced pain was a relief. Seriously, I started burning my head with a hot iron and towel so it wouldn't fry my skin; this is not a recommendation, but for me, it gave me temporary relief. I snorted Cayenne Pepper, once again not a recommendation. The headaches only came back stronger. I  became a self involved sufferer, you realize that no one understands the pain you’re in. I really thought the rest of my life was only going to be about pain. I suffered in pain for almost ten years, not only physical, but I suspect some emotional as well. If you’re a sufferer, you know what I mean. I tried everything else. I decided to try meditation; thinking of my hand, then my fingers. I did this everyday for weeks, maybe months. I found by concentrating on my hand I could feel the blood flow into my hand, I later found out its called bio feedback. I remember thinking, this is cool, after a while I could concentrate on all my figures, and then one at a time. So I could control my blood circulation, and then I realized by controlling my breathing and concentrating on my hand I could quicken the flow of my blood. Wow, I really felt like I was accomplishing something. I focused on my pain and pushed and pulled through it. The next day I was on my way to work and felt a sensation of blood flowing down the side of my nose under my left eye, almost like a popping sensation. The pain/beast was gone. I’m not a doctor and this is not a recommendation and if you’re litigious, this is for entertainment purposes only. This is my personal story, my name is Michael, and it’s been a bit over 20+ year’s pain free.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: Still still gone
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 8:28am

Still,

Charlie had something like this that worked for some (it's in the archives somewhere). Glad it worked for you.

And I can only laugh at your post and some of the "remedies" you tried. I'm not laughing AT you but with you. Most of us can relate to them. There's a great story about the cayeene pepper on here (back around 1999) by Drummer... And hundreds of other remedies we've tried.

But to date the only things that have really helped a large % of us is O2 on a high voltage and D3 and some (well really a lot) at Clusterbusters.

I'm on the D3 regime and have been pain free since Oct 21st (first time since I went Chronic in 1997), so I'm doing a happy dance right now..

But maybe someone will read your post and it will work for them also.. Again, glad you found something for the pain..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:04pm

I actually did try this technique early in my journey prior to diagnosis and meds. My wife had read about it somewhere (probably here) and as times were desperate, I wasn't discounting anything.
As a cluster sored passed kip 5 and up, for me the technique was useless as the pain was all consuming and any cognitive thought near impossible.
But on the ramp up to that point, being able to sit and focus on something, it kept me calm and helped me prepare for the upcoming onslaught. I was actually able to sit still and concentrate on the details of what was happening (useful for the diary)
It also helped to keep the panic in check as I felt the familiar onset twinges.
To be fair I didn't do it for long as the meds did their job and I went out of cycle.
So for me, it didn't kill any pain but it helped me mentally deal with the pain (up to a point!)
As much as I hate to say it, the meds were a lot more efficient and reliable (for now) but I do applaud your commitment and success.

There are things worse than clusters .... just

IP Logged

stillgone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Irvine
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 4:12pm

I believe I may have over simplified my remedy, it took time, day and night, focusing, focusing on my hand/fingers and breathing.   I know when I was tangling with the beast at its worst I couldn't concentrate on my fingers, I did have tears pouring down my face without outwardly crying.  I also know my cure / dormant pain wont help some or all for all I know.  All I know is it helped me and if I can help one person, then it was more then worth posting here.  I did post sometime back.

IP Logged

stillgone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Irvine
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 1:44pm

Lastly, once I felt I could control the flow of my blood circulation to my hand and fingers, which did not happen overnight  I then placed my hand palm out over my pain above my eye on my forehead and while controlling my breathing pushed and pulled through the pain.  I understand that all of this may sound quite a little bit off to most of you. Once again I'm just sharing what worked for me. I hope/wish all a pain free future.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 7:53am

Honey, whatever works is good.. Here's hoping it keeps up..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

stillgone
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Irvine
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 8:04am

Still pain free,  thank you GOD, I see this community continues to grow.  I'm hoping my story helps everyone or someone.  I beat the beast, and still feel I haven't done enough to help those that still suffer like I did.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!