Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
?'s on switching to Verapamil Immediate Release (Read 1582 times)
koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

?'s on switching to Verapamil Immediate Release
Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:15pm

I have taken Verapamil extended release for years at 480 mg. I upped to 600 mg about a month ago to treat my current cycle.

I have been having a bad cycle lasting 2 months with nightlly/morning ch attacks 2-4x per day. i abort with O2. i have done and still do the d3 anti-inflamm regimen with no results.

I remembered reading that the immediate release verapamil works better in CH patients. I called my dr and he wrote me a Rx for immediate release Verapamil 120mg tablets (ACTAVIS PH) 5 per day 1 in morning 2 in afternoon and 2 at night before bed for a total of 600mg.

what should i expect when switching. should i expect more side effects, swollen ankles...possible dizzyness....blood pressure drop when working out? i experienced some of these a bit on Verapamil extended release, but really I tolerate it pretty well. Curious to know from others that take the immediate release or have switched like i am doing...

thanks,

--mike--

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: ?'s on switching to Verapamil Immediate Release
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:30pm

1. I've never read anything which says this will create problems.

2. Stop EXPECING! This easily leads to what mental health types call "anticipatory anxiety", i.e, you can create what you are looking for, anxiety.

If something happens, tell your doc; otherwise, just be cool.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:46pm

I've done the switch the other way around going to the sustained release.

Side effects from the change none, other than enjoying life more as it was more effective for me.

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 12:23pm

Thanks for the advice. I really hope it works. I was out of cycle for a couple years and this bout is kicking my butt. 2 months of daily headaches.

I run twice a week and for the past couple weeks after I run I get an attack. Last nite after I ran I had an attack and must have had 5 more headaches after that and last night. I have had this happen before and know its common after exercise.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:05am

Heat is one of those little jokes Cluster plays with us! For some, heat (e.g., hair dryer aimed at a hot spot) will reduce an attack.

For others, heat will trigger attacks (as exercise or just being outside on a very hot day). All you can do is learn from what your body tells you.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!