Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do eggs cause clusterheadaches? (Read 4316 times)
Anon-ClusterHead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Do eggs cause clusterheadaches?
Oct 7th, 2014 at 10:39am

I know i have cluster headaches because the oxygen gets rid of the headache (i found out in the ER, my neurologist told me to go there), and also because its one side, eye droops, gets red, waters, insane pain, happens at the same time ever other day (sometimes more often) and lastly alcohol is a trigger for me. I was about to eat eggs and toast for breakfast today and then i stopped, im scared too eat the scrambled eggs. Does anyone know if eggs would cause me to get the headaches even later on in the day? I tend to get my headaches in the evenings, but i only eat eggs in the morning....

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: Do eggs cause clusterheadaches?
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 10:46am

Why eggs in particular? Do you only get clusters when you eat eggs?  Eggs are fine for me, in fact I haven't noticed any particular food being a trigger.
Maz.

IP Logged

Anon-ClusterHead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 11:52am

I read online but the form will not let me post links till after 10 posts...., for the first link i not sure if the guy just assumed it did or not:

one was from clusterheadachesinfo dot com / diarypages:4    (no spaces)

the other was :

clusterheadaches dot com / about.html    (search for eggs, its under precipitating factors)

Basically he said when he went back on the eggs, and booze and caffeine the beast came back. I know booze and caffeine are triggers for many people, but i haven't heard so much about eggs.

Egg's have not been a trigger for me, i was just worried because i read it there and also someone else. Basically i was worried that whatever was in the eggs would build up and then later when i always get the headache (around 7 PM) it would help cause the headache, and or make it worst. So far booze are the trigger, and eating a high quantity of greasy food at one time also seems to make it worst, i think greasy food causes the mucus build up, which causes pressure, or maybe it just dilates the artery's that go up the near the nose and over the eyes. (I also have nasal polyps in the same area the pressure builds up in, above my left eye, under it, and left part of my left eye (so the side of my eye closer to my nose).

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:01pm

Two reasons for being cautious:

1. If you start to anticipate that all sorts of "things" might trigger an attack you'll create an endless stream of anxiety.

2. There is an old saying in science: just because two things occur one after the other, it does not mean that the first caused the second.

It's fine to just take note of some event without moving to, it does cause or, it might cause....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:15pm

CH is caused by a dilated artery in the head which presses on the trigeminal nerve, causing pain around one side of the face, eye, teeth nose etc., and triggering the other symptoms related to CH. During an attack the hypothalmus area of the brain is known to be over active. But no one knows whether the dilated blood vessel causes that activity, or vice versa. Chicken and egg - no pun intended.

Every one of us is different and what is a trigger for some is perfectly OK for others. If you worry about every one elses triggers you would starve to death. Caffiene, by the way, is used by many of us to EASE the pain.

"when he went back on the eggs and booze and caffiene the beast came back"
The beast always comes back, no matter what you eat or drink. Booze is a common trigger but only when you're in cycle. When not in cycle you can drink the same as anyone.

If eggs have not triggered your CH before it's unlikely to now. It may well have been a trigger for the guy you read about, but that doesn't mean they will be for you.

IP Logged

Anon-ClusterHead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:55pm

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:40am

When in a cycle eggs were one of my triggers.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 4:55am

Anon.. I'm with Bob.. you can analyze (and we tend to do that at times) what causes these things to death..

Personally I think if eggs were going to be a trigger it would hit immediately not hours later.

Booze seems to be the almost "universal" trigger, but foods really haven't even taken second place over the years. Some have triggers to MSG.. I did ONE time (or maybe I was just getting hit and it happened after I ate Chinese - who knows   - but it's never happened again so.. Huh)

If you eat or drink something and get hit - then don't do that for a while. But don't stress out over everything you see or read. You'll drive yourself crazy.

Go back and read the archives when you have time. I don't think there's much some of us haven't tried or analyzed. One conclusion we've come up with -- we're all different and we all have different triggers..

right now the D3 regimen is working well for a lot of us. You might try getting on it.

wishing you PF days and nights.. Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Anon-ClusterHead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:28pm

Yea im getting tested for my levels of D3 tomorrow, but the past few days ive been taking a multivitamin that has 1000UI of D3, and i also found in place a bottle of D3 that has 400UI a capsule. Ive been taking about 3 of those capsule a day, except for the first day in which i took 4,and 2 multivitamins spread through out the day. I know its not the amount that was suggested, my plan was to see what the tests results say and then buy the 10,000 UI one if i was below the 40ng/ML in my blood. Sound like a solid plan? (Ive also been taking 200-400mg of magnesium every day with my multivitamin and 2400-3600mg of fish oil total every day. Sometimes i start to get some slight pressure, but i notice that 300mg of 5-htp seems to help constrict the blood vessels, relieving the pressure, but i doubt a that lose of a dose of 5-htp would help with a stronger attack.

It is also worth noting that since i started taking all these vitamins and stopped taking any of my triggers  such as alcohol the beast tends to remain dormant, except around 10pm i sometimes get what it think others refer to as the shadow. I feel very slight pressure, its kind of annoying because i fear it will get worst, if it doesn't its not all that bad comparatively. I wouldn't be surprised that some more D3 would help, but id rather wait and have proof and then get tested again after so we have more proof that the regiment works.

On a side note i read that magnesium is good for nerves, but i also heard that magnesium dilate the blood vessels, so wouldn't taking magnesium potentially cause a cluster headache to hurt more?

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 9:12am

I take magnesium daily and haven't seen any ill effects. PF since Oct 21st of last year. Something is working (fingers crossed).

Keep us informed..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

neorunner650
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 10:01am

Eggs absolutely do cause cluster headaches and I know why.

I'm in my late 40's and have had clusters once or twice a year since early to mid 20's.  Each time they came on I would have them for 6-8 weeks up to 9 times per day.

In my late 30's one year I skipped having them and couldn't figure out why.  Later on I realized I was eating differently that year.

A few years later I started getting random swelling in my tongue and/or lips and couldn't figure out why for several years.

A naturopathic doctor did a food allergy blood test about 3.5 years ago and found that the highest allergy I had is eggs.  Whites, yolks, chicken, duck it doesn't matter, it's all bad for me.  At the time I had the test done I was already in the middle of a season of clusters and had been eating a fair number of hard boiled eggs for protein.  Immediately I stopped eating eggs and within 24 hours found the pain level, duration and frequency of the clusters dropped considerably.

I found that the lip swelling would come on 24 hours after having eggs.  This made it impossible to find any correlation until after I had been tested and knew to avoid eggs.  I actually found that Snickers Bars have egg in them by eating one not thinking it contained eggs.  Sure enough 24 hours later my slip or tongue swelled up so I then read the ingredients and sure enough it contains eggs.

Fast forward 3.5 years and I haven't had a single cluster.

I avoid eggs year round, order food specially when I'm eating out to avoid eggs even as an ingredient.  Hamburger and hotdog buns can be especially tricky due to egg wash on them. 

I also take Batch's Vitamin D anti-inflammatory regimen year round.  Important to note that I was already taking the anti-inflammatory vitamin mix before I found the egg connection. The vitamins did help considerably but it still wasn't enough to keep me from having the clusters.  It did cut down on the frequency of individual clusters within a season and the pain level was less.

I highly recommend both the vitamin D regimen as well as getting the blood test for food allergies.  The test I had done took 4 tiny little drops of blood and was able to test over 100 different foods.  I've been tested in the past by an allergist where they inject small amounts of what you might be allergic to and then wait to see if your body reacts to it right away.  This method would never work for me because of the 24 hour delay.

I feel that for me the food allergy is the thing that puts my system over the top to the point that the clusters come on (winter time).  By keeping the body happy with avoiding eggs and taking the anti-inflammatory vitamin mix the clusters don't come on any more.  I have now skipped 2 full winter seasons of having them at all.  Three years ago is when I found out about eggs when I was already in a season of clusters.  Avoiding the eggs helped shorten that season.

IP Logged

Falcon
CH.com Newbie

I'll sleep when I'm dead...

Malverne, NY
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 8:28pm

Don’t know about eggs, but, I have had severe food allergies since my teens and I did notice that if I ingested anything that I had an allergy to, it made the beast much more ferocious.

I think it has to do with histamine levels. I usually use a first generation anti-histamine as a rescue med for 2-3 days after I encounter some thing that raises my histamines.

I take a children’s Benadryl 3x per day every 8 hours. It helps me quite a bit.

So does drinking lots of water!

Hope this helps,

Be well!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!