Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When i was young. (Read 4391 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
When i was young.
Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:55pm

If you are 35, or older!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up! what with walking five miles to school every morning Uphill both ways!

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of 35 I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!

There was no email! we had to actually write somebody a letter with a pen, then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our butts! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes, If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up. There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car, we'd play our favourite tape and eject it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your friends. OH MY GOODNESS, think of the horror not being in touch with someone 24/7, and then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please, you kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent, you just didn't know, you had to pick it up and take your chances.

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics, we had the Atari 2600, with games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square You actually had to use your imagination, and there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen, forever, and you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on, you were screwed when it came to channel surfing, you had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel, no remotes, oh, no, what's the world coming to!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove, imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside you were doing chores!

And car seats oh, please, Mum threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the safety arm across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy! You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2015 at 1:16am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: When i was young.
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 6:32am

Brain cells don't die as we get older, they transmogrify into muscle tissue and make us so much stronger.

When I was young there was no way I could lift and carry $60 worth of groceries, but
today I can do it in one hand with my walking stick in the other.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 9:24am

Hello you two,
One thing I have noticed is how clothes sizes have changed.  What used to be called size 10 is now called size 14. Wink

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 4:42pm

..........but then if I go to America, they are called size 10 again.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 6:40pm

Hi Maz,
That's funny you should mention that! Because when
we were there last year, Adda was worried that she had
put on so much weight that she needed to buy Tops four
times larger than here in OZ  Smiley

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2015 at 7:05pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:03pm

I remember as a kid we had a 12" B&W TV console that went off the air each day at midnight playing the Star Spangled Banner!! LOL!!

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 6:34pm

Same here Gregg. A huge box with a small screen. One large knob - on and off, and only one channel. After plugging in to the electricity there was another cable to plug into a socket leading to an ariel on the roof. But it was far more reliable than the all singing, all dancing computerised, flat screen, multi channelled, satellite, digi thingy that we have now.

It was god save the queen for us, followed by a black screen with a white spot in the middle, which slowly faded out.....................

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:57pm

Hoppy wrote on Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:55pm:
If you are 35, or older!
You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on, you were screwed when it came to channel surfing, you had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel, no remotes, oh, no, what's the world coming to!

My Father would have been a gozillionaire...if he had just patented his invention....it was the first TV remote control....ME! He could lay on his couch and get any of the 3 channels we had ...simply by saying: "Jon, channel 4 (or 5 or 7)"............ but I guess he figured I worked cheap

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:51pm

I wonder where technology will take us in the next 35yrs,
not as I'll be here to witness it  Smiley

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 10:42am

Hoppy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 5:51pm:
I wonder where technology will take us in the next 35yrs,
not as I'll be here to witness it  Smiley

Cheers, Hoppy.

Here's where Hoppy...turn up your volume, click and listen Wink
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 11:27am

Beam me up scotty......
Those medics are good. They wave their medical gadget thingy over an injury and it magically mends bones and heals flesh and every ailment known to man. . Do you think it will work if they point it at our heads, or will they still need a phaser. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 11:29am by maz »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 10:09pm

Yes, with the ever growing world population,
I'm sure mankind will be looking towards the
stars to open up new frontiers.

Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 10:52pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!