Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A 15 Month Remission was nice… (Read 11335 times)
PTLeighton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NE, North Carolina
A 15 Month Remission was nice…
Jun 3rd, 2015 at 10:09am

Well, I had a nice 15 months off from “The Beast” and now I’m in my second day off a full cycle.
I have a completely different attitude this time around.
I’m determined to not live in fear and have been preparing…

After being a Cluster Headache sufferer for about 15 years, I was finally diagnosed and treated by an awesome Neurologist who specializes in headaches about 2 years ago.
(Dr. Neil Pugach)
My previous cycle was the first one after being diagnosed and was able to learn a lot about what works and what doesn’t work for me.
Sumatriptan injections are the greatest thing in the world!
In my case, oral steroids are a BAD idea.
And Insurance companies are heartless bastards…

So, my last cycle was the first time I used Sumatriptan injections (Imitrex) and while they worked 98% of the time, like most CH sufferers, I was not able to get an adequate amount of it.
I was forced to do the “Imitrex Tip” in order to get by.
While the “Tip” worked ok most of the time, it did have some issues.
The most notable of which was rebound.
(I do not have rebound issues with full doses.)
Well, my pharmacy switched from the Imitrex Injector kits to the one time use “Dr. Reddy’s” auto injectors, so unless I inject into a container and then use an insulin needle to split up the dose, I have to take the full dose in one shot.

To compound the issue, last cycle, my Neurologist tried a course of oral steroids as a preventive.
The steroids worked for about 24 hours as a preventive and then “The Beast” came back with a vengeance.
Instead of my typical 10 day CH cycle, I had a six week CH cycle!
After about two weeks, the insurance company (BC&BS) decided that they didn’t want to pay for anymore Sumatriptan injections.
(Even with letters from my physician.)

Well, when I’m well motivated, I can be a pretty persuasive guy.
So, I was able to make my way through several layers of management at the insurance company until I was able to speak with someone with enough authority to override the automated stop.
I only lost my cool one time when I was on the phone.
This was when the person on the phone said, “I completely understand what you are going through, a family member of mine has Migraines.”
MIGRANES, MIGRANES, are you kidding me!!!
(People on this board are the only ones that know exactly why saying this to someone with CH will set them off.)
In the most calm tone that I could muster, I calmly told this person that while they are both technically headaches, the only real thing they have in common is that the pain resides in the head.
I then asked if she was sitting in front of a computer with internet access.
She said that she was.
I asked her to please Google “Cluster Headache” & “Suicide Headaches” and take a few minutes to read over any of the links that pop up.
It is common for Cluster Headaches to be regarded as the most amount of pain that the human body can experience.
(I’m not looking for a prize here.)
I then proceeded to tell her that there is absolutely no way to abuse Sumatriptan injections and that this medication is the only thing that brings relief.
She promptly authorized two months’ worth of medication with the ability to be renewed upon request from my Neurologist.

After that, I vowed that I would do everything in my power to NEVER be without Sumatriptan Injections.
I continued to fill as many refills as I could after my CH cycle went back into remission.
I stock pilled enough to handle a compete CH cycle so that I would not have to stress over managing my dosages.
The most stressful part of my last cycle was having to decide whether or not to take a “Hit” from a CH during the day so that I could save a dose of medication for the inevitable 11:00 “Hit”.
Bullshit, no more!

I decided to build several “Cluster Headache Crisis Kits”
They are in the smaller Pelican brand air tight hard cases and contain enough doses to last a minimum of five days each.
I keep one at work, I have one that I travel with, and have two more that I keep in reserve in case there is a shortage.

That brings me to today.
Never have I had the comfort of knowing that I can “Slay The Beast” at will.
Instead of having to stress over running out of medication, now I can just causally work on restocking my supply.
Bring it on, I’m prepared and I’m in control!!!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: A 15 Month Remission was nice…
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 3:05pm

Has you experience with preventive meds, such as Verapamil? It's widely used to prevent attacks and, therefore, to reduce the need for Suma/other abortives.

See the PDF file, below.

After my first use, this became my aortive of choice. AND it's so inexpensive that you can pay out of pocked, if needs be, without much strain.
----
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 9:10pm

Have you looked into the Vitamin D3 Regiment on here.
It has lots of us CH free.

Cheers, Hoppy.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2015 at 9:11pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 11:32pm

I'd echo what people have suggested around using a preventive like vitamin D3 or verapamil.

It is very clear from your post that you've a great attitude in how you deal with CH with the detailed planning and preparation. This will make a massive difference. You're not the only one to stockpile medications and have them in place ready for quick access.

IP Logged

PTLeighton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NE, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 8:40am

Thanks for all the replies.

As for Verapamil, my Neurologist said that my cycle is too short to be a viable option.
(Typical cycle has been ~ 10 days.)
He said that by the time is built up in my system at sufficient levels, I would be out of cycle.
On top of that, I’m not a big fan of the side effects that high doses of Verapamil comes with.

As far as other treatments go, I’m a bit hesitant on trying other stuff after my experience with oral Steroids.
Not only did the steroids not work, they extended my cycle dramatically and causes a lot of other side effects.
My Neurologist wants to try an injection of steroids in my scalp, but I’m fearful that it might have the same result.

Right now, I would be over the moon if I can maintain a 10 day cycle that is managed with Sumatriptan.
Especially if my cycles continue to be 15 months apart.
Having the ability to kill “The Beast” at will is so empowering.
The risk of trying a different treatment and it extending my cycle out to over 6 weeks is unacceptable.

Of course the age old issue of cost and availability of Sumatriptan injections comes up.
If memory serves me correctly, the cost per dose of generic Sumatriptan injections are somewhere around $75 USD.
A name brand product like Alsuma or Imitrex is much more expensive.
I can certainly understand why the insurance companies don’t like covering them.
With that said though, it is worth every penny!
A tool that is able to do what it does, is incredible and in my case does not have any negative side effects.

Sumatriptan availability can also be an issue.
Not too long ago, Pfizer announced that they would no longer be producing any and there was a separate incident where entire lots had to be destroyed due to contamination.
This combined with the relief of not having to stress over obtaining medication while in cycle, makes me so happy that I decided to stock up.

An interesting side effect that my CH cycles have on me, is a sense of “grounding”.
As people often do, one gets wrapped up in everyday life and the stresses that come with it.
There are only two things that have ever centered me quite like a Cluster Cycle.
Those being a nearly fatal car accident and the birth of my daughter.

I have chosen to take control of the situation and embrace the positive.
Having the tools in hand to manage things allows me to not live in fear.
Transforming a CH cycle into a reminder of what is truly important in life just makes me smile.
Thank you to everyone on this board that has helped me get here!

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:40am

Might want to also give Batch's vitamin D3 regimen thread on this site a read through as well. Not promising you a cure, but it has helped a lot of people, including myself, at a fraction of the cost of insurance covered immitrex.

As you say, the more options on the table the better. Best of luck to you. Cool

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 3:58pm

With such a short cycle time I can see why using a preventive like verapamil, lithium or topamax will not be effective since they all take time to become effective and your cycle will be over by then.

Normally prednisione would be used to cover such a short cycle, but it doesn't work for you.

So I'd consider the D3 route and stay on it long term or just using abortives (oxygen, imitrex, etc.) for the duration of the cycle.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 7:42pm

Hi PT, Right now I'd settle for 15 hours.

It's great isn't it - just knowing that there is something out there that will take the pain away. After 5 years with no diagnosis and incorrect meds it was such a relief when I took that first injection. Now, they are my new best friend and I never leave home without them. Even on a short trip out to the grocery store I take 2 in my bag. I always take 2 because I had one occasion when the auto injector jammed and didn't work. I rarely get rebound headaches but if I do I find that fairly strong over the counter meds for ordinary headaches (my favorite kind)will take care of it.

I love your attitude toward this thing and try to stay positive myself, although there are times when it's hard. It's much easier when you are not actually in a cycle. Cheesy

I also stockpile sumatriptan and in case you need to know, they will work fine even if out of date. The ones I'm using at the moment expired in December 2013. Luckily for me, here in England the good old NHS covers them so I don't have to pay, but I stockpile because my repeat prescription takes 4 days to "turn around" and most pharmacies don't keep it in stock because it's rarely needed, so that adds another 2 days while they get it. My stash covers me for that week and a second week just in case.

I much prefer using the pre filled "pens".  I find the ones with the cartridge that you have to load yourself often go off by themselves before you press the button, and the suma shoots across the room. I think the pens also have a slightly shorter needle, so hurt a little less.

Have you tried oxygen ? (my second best friend). You need a flow rate of at least 15 liters per minute and a non -rebreather mask. Those 2 things are important for it to work. It's not quite as good as the suma,but it does work well and you are not restricted to 2 doses per day. I use the oxygen at home and save the injections for when I'm out. It's also good for the milder CHs and shadows. The second I feel that familiar sting in my face I dive upstairs to my 02 and often it stops the CH from developing into a bad one. An injection saved for another day, and one less bruise on my legs !!!

As every one else has said, read up about D3 and all it's co-factors. I got lax about taking it and had to start over, and now I'm regretting it big time.

Keep checking in - we love "success" stories.
Maz.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 6:33am

Hey PT.

Welcome to Clusterville...

And I echo the others who said "D3 regimen".  It's working for so many of us to keep CH at bay. Some for years and years.. I'm going on two years now without a headache.. That's after being chronic since 97.

The triptans work to get rid of the pain when it hits, but don't do anything to keep them away.. D3 is working to KEEP them away.. And D3 isn't going to hurt you and you don't have to deal with an insurance company with it.. Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 6:53am

i dont trust those injections,yes i totally understand whypeople love them but il try any natural way over that stuff .

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 6:56am

maz

have you looked into how to stretch those jabs , the general consensus being that you dont need the full amount of each pre filled syringe so you can get 2 injections out of one with it still working.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 8:00am

Yes I have looked into splitting the jabs, but I'm finding it almost impossible to get syringes. Both doctor and chemist were horrified that I wanted to tamper with them and didn't want to know. I know a couple of diabetics but both of them have pre filled injections and have told me that syringes and needles are almost a thing of the past. Guess you have to be a junkie to get them.

It's not too much of a problem though as unlike in my early days I am now able to get them fairly easily, and stockpile a few to get me through the first few days.

I can't say I entirely trust them either, but the relief they give me is, I feel, worth the risk. The stress on your body and mind from repeated CH can't be any better for you. Luckily for me I have no nasty side effects at all - just pure blessed relief.
Maz.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 8:50am

Hi,

I refused to use the triptan injections a couple of years ago. Not very good for the heart.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 11:27am

Headache. 2004 May;44 Suppl 1:S20-30.
Cardiovascular tolerability and safety of triptans: a review of clinical data.

Dodick DW, Martin VT, Smith T, Silberstein S.

Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, AZ 85359, USA.

Triptans are not widely used in clinical practice despite their well-established efficacy, endorsement by the US Headache Consortium, and the demonstrable need to employ effective intervention to reduce migraine-associated disability. Although the relatively restricted use of triptans may be attributed to several factors, research suggests that prescribers' concerns about cardiovascular safety prominently figure in limiting their use. This article reviews clinical data--including results of clinical trials, postmarketing studies and surveillance, and pharmacodynamic studies--relevant to assessing the cardiovascular safety profile of the triptans. These data demonstrate that triptans are generally well tolerated. Chest symptoms occurring during use of triptans are usually nonserious and usually not attributed to ischemia. Incidence of triptan-associated serious cardiovascular adverse events in both clinical trials and clinical practice appears to be extremely low. When they do occur, serious cardiovascular events have most often been reported in patients at significant cardiovascular risk or in those with overt cardiovascular disease. Adverse cardiovascular events also have occurred, however, in patients without evidence of cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence suggest that nonischemic mechanisms are responsible for sumatriptan-associated chest symptoms, although the mechanism of chest symptoms has not been determined to date. Importantly, most of the clinical trials and clinical practice data on triptans are derived from patients without known cardiovascular disease.

THEREFORE, THE CONCLUSIONS OF THIS REVIEW CANNOT BE EXTENDED TO PATIENTS WITH CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE. THE CARDIOVASCULAR SAFETY PROFILE OF TRIPTANS FAVORS THEIR USE IN THE ABSENCE OF CONTRAINDICATIONS.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 15149490 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 2:54pm

Bob,

Your point is well made. My choice was purely personal as I decided that they were not worth the risk, especially as I'm a smoker.

I emphasise that this was MY view and in no way infers that Triptans don't have a well earned place in the arsenal against CH.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 3:49pm

the reason to get 2 injections out of 1 is so you can safely exterminate double the amount of headaches in a 24hr period not really to make yer stash last longer.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 9:06pm

One other factor around people splitting them is related to the cost. In the countries where there is a national health system, like the UK and NZ the cost of the prescription does not reflect the cost of the medication with things being often heavily subsidized.

Here in NZ, prescriptions cost NZ$5, which is about US$4. For that I can get 1 sumatriptan injections. It costs me more to go to the pharmacist to pick it up!

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 3:11am

Well, this is a coincidence ! I have just split an injection for the first time, but not for any of the reasons above.  I have a batch of auto injectors that are defective.

I needed to use one yesterday. As I loaded the cartridge into the "pen" the needle popped out by its self without me pressing the button, and the suma shot across the room, so it was wasted. The same thing happened to another two. I was getting worried at this stage that I wasn't going to get my injection. So I tried a 4th and it loaded successfully, but when I pressed the button - NOTHING !!!.

So I dismantled it, took out the little vial with the needle on and stuck it in my leg, and used a cotton but as a plunger. I only used about two thirds but it worked fine. The only problem is I have no way of using the bit that's left unless I use the same needle twice.

Mike, I've thanked God many times over the last 7 years that we have our NHS. The system is far from perfect, but there is no way I would be able to pay for doctors, scans and meds without it. I think our prescriptions are almost £8 each, but children and the over 60's (me) don't have to pay anything. When I did have to pay, it was about £7.50 at the time, the fee covered one drug only, but no specified quantity, so once my doctor got wised up she prescribed 8 at a time, so less than a pound each. Can't grumble about that.

My heart goes out to our American brothers and sisters (no doubt other places too) who have so much trouble and expense.

IP Logged

PTLeighton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NE, North Carolina
Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 1:03pm

It is always interesting to see all the responses on this board.
I do appreciate the support, but I would like to point out that the D3 suggestions that always come out in droves regardless of the post, may have some unintended consequences.
While not the case with me, some might interpret the D3 advice as being told, “All you have to do is take your vitamins stupid!”
Sometimes the most helpful reply is just hearing from another person who has they unique experience of "Dancing with the Devil".

Here is a link to my previous posts outlining my history:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

While the D3 treatments may work for many, it is not a treatment that is recognized by most Neurologists.
For me, while I don’t discount any treatment that may work for folks, my previous experience with oral steroids makes me not want to try anything other than what is working for me.
The risk of extending a cycle beyond my normal 10 days to over six weeks is unacceptable.

Speaking of treatments that are not recommended by most Neurologists, O2,
The flow rate of O2 that is effective as a CH abortive is considered toxic and is viewed as hazardous.
Of course if it works for you, roll with it.
One of the things that has always been interesting to me is that the treatments for CH Syndrome are far more dangerous than the physical effects of CH.
(That is only true if you discount the suicide risk associated with those who have to experience CH.)

NOTE:
Please do not attack me regarding treatment recommendations.
I'm only repeating what has been told to me by my Neurologist, whom is highly regarded in the CH Community.
My opinion is that every CH patient is unique and they need to utilize any and every tool at their disposal to get the relief that they so desperately need.

As far as Sumatriptan injections, some people have serious side effects.
Fortunately for me, I don’t have any other than the discomfort of getting stabbed in the leg.
(I’m 6 foot 1" and weigh 200 lbs.)
Splitting doses does not appeal to me if I can avoid it.
Out of necessity, I experimented during my last cycle with ¼, 1/3, and ½ doses.
While the split doses would work most of the time, the time it took to work and the rebound HA that sometimes happens, made me decide not to do that again if at all possible.

It looks like my normal cycle length of 10 days has returned.
The last two days were extremely distressing.
During that period, I had 4 to 5 hits a day that would escalate up to a KIP 9 level before the Sumatriptan had any effect.
(Within 20 minutes, the hit would get that bad, but when the Sumatriptan started working, it would be gone in 10 - 15 minutes.)
Mercifully, I went back to complete remission right after that.
It’s been almost 72 hours without a CH now…

I still have enough of a Sumatriptan stash to cover an entire CH cycle.
I’m in the process of replenishing the stock that I used over the past 10 days.
My copay price is $10 for 8 auto injectors and hopefully I won’t have to hit the insurance company up to extend the amount of refills they will cover.

I can’t tell you how much of a difference it made having the peace of mind knowing that I didn’t have to worry about running out of medication.
It was by far the best CH cycle I have ever had to deal with.
(As good as a CH cycle can possibly be.)
The feeling of dread and anticipation of the next hit while being in the fuzz of the shadows was not present at all.
Taking the attitude of maintaining ownership of the situation made a huge difference for me.

On a side note:
For those concerned about the expiration date on their Sumatriptan, don’t.
Speaking with my Neurologists, the medication is still safe and effective for two years after that date if it is stored in a cool dark location.

Once again, thank you all for allowing me to share my latest experience with the group!
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2015 at 1:42pm by PTLeighton »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 6:03pm

To be honest, the majority of neuros wouldn't know if
their bum was on fire when it comes down to treating
CH's, and what you have written sounds to me the one
you are seeing fits into this category, that's why its
important to see a "Headache Specialist" and get
proper advice.

Hoppy

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 6:38pm

Hi PT

It is always interesting to see all the responses on this board.

Yup…I’ve been here for yrs and will remain…there’s always something new to learn about the beast.

I do appreciate the support, but I would like to point out that the D3 suggestions that always come out in droves regardless of the post, may have some unintended consequences.
While not the case with me, some might interpret the D3 advice as being told, “All you have to do is take your vitamins stupid!”

Disagree…it has never been presented that way. Just a whole bunch of people reporting on effectiveness.

Sometimes the most helpful reply is just hearing from another person who has they unique experience of "Dancing with the Devil".

No truer words ever spoken…that’s why we are here in the first place. Many times I just didn’t care what was said…just that I could participate and feel like I wasn’t alone in this battle

Here is a link to my previous posts outlining my history:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

While the D3 treatments may work for many, it is not a treatment that is recognized by most Neurologists.

Maybe, maybe not yet…but it’s getting there. Follow Batch’s posts…he regularly updates us on evolving neurologist thinking. It’s cheap, it’s easily available, it’s well tolerated, it’s HARD to OD, minimal side effects, anecdotally one of the most effective therapies available, numerous other benefits being discovered regularly…and most folks are deficient anyway (regardless of any CH) with consequential illnesses…………

For me, while I don’t discount any treatment that may work for folks, my previous experience with oral steroids makes me not want to try anything other than what is working for me.
The risk of extending a cycle beyond my normal 10 days to over six weeks is unacceptable.

If something works use it…and as I’ve said before…I don’t care if it’s just because a person THINKS it does. But…dismissing attempts at alternatives because one did not work is short sighted and scarily limiting…many MANY of us have experienced “what used to work don’t work no more”…then what? And why the implication that such attempts would extend a cycle? It may not work but it aint gonna extend a cycle.
My comments here are intended for a wider audience than just a response to you because I fear new folks may be persuaded similarly…..

Speaking of treatments that are not recommended by most Neurologists, O2,
The flow rate of O2 that is effective as a CH abortive is considered toxic and is viewed as hazardous.

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE…where did you hear/read this? I hope someone more eloquent than myself will comment further on this…and I PRAY that no one who is unsure or new to this illness is scared off. For myself, I sometimes wonder if I would still exist without having found oxygen therapy…now that’s toxic………..

Of course if it works for you, roll with it.
One of the things that has always been interesting to me is that the treatments for CH Syndrome are far more dangerous than the physical effects of CH.

Some yes, some no….what’s the point here? Of all I can think of, O2 and D3 are the LEAST dangerous….

NOTE:
Please do not attack me regarding treatment recommendations.

OK, no attack intended…may I be allowed to disagree…and to some of it vehemently?………………

I'm only repeating what has been told to me by my Neurologist, whom is highly regarded in the CH Community.

The last two I’ve had…one of whom is nationally recognized researcher…..would beg to differ with some of these comments. But the point being, individual opinions can differ…the treatment protocol is evolving…and keep in mind that headache specialists vs neurologists are two different animals..

My opinion is that every CH patient is unique and they need to utilize any and every tool at their disposal to get the relief that they so desperately need.

Well ok, but some of the comments are confusing or misleading…

As far as Sumatriptan injections, some people have serious side effects.
Fortunately for me, I don’t have any other than the discomfort of getting stabbed in the leg.
(I’m 6 foot 1" and weigh 200 lbs.)
Splitting doses does not appeal to me if I can avoid it.

Some have no choice either financially or physically or in avoidance of side effects….

Out of necessity, I experimented during my last cycle with ¼, 1/3, and ½ doses.
While the split doses would work most of the time, the time it took to work and the rebound HA that sometimes happens, made me decide not to do that again if at all possible.

That’s the way to find that out…good on ya….

It looks like my normal cycle length of 10 days has returned.
The last two days were extremely distressing.
During that period, I had 4 to 5 hits a day that would escalate up to a KIP 9 level before the Sumatriptan had any effect.
(Within 20 minutes, the hit would get that bad, but when the Sumatriptan started working, it would be gone in 10 - 15 minutes.)
Mercifully, I went back to complete remission right after that.
It’s been almost 72 hours without a CH now…

I still have enough of a Sumatriptan stash to cover an entire CH cycle.
I’m in the process of replenishing the stock that I used over the past 10 days.
My copay price is $10 for 8 auto injectors and hopefully I won’t have to hit the insurance company up to extend the amount of refills they will cover.

I can’t tell you how much of a difference it made having the peace of mind knowing that I didn’t have to worry about running out of medication.

Peace of mind is priceless…and an O2 tank and boxes of stockpiled Zomig NS get me to the same place as you….

It was by far the best CH cycle I have ever had to deal with.
(As good as a CH cycle can possibly be.)
The feeling of dread and anticipation of the next hit while being in the fuzz of the shadows was not present at all.
Taking the attitude of maintaining ownership of the situation made a huge difference for me.

YUP! Most excellent…………..”ownership of the situation” should be part of our official mantra…

On a side note:
For those concerned about the expiration date on their Sumatriptan, don’t.
Speaking with my Neurologists, the medication is still safe and effective for two years after that date if it is stored in a cool dark location.

Once again, thank you all for allowing me to share my latest experience with the group!

It’s why we are here…whether we agree all time or not

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 2:57am

I agree wholeheartedly with jon,but would like to add a couple of points. You say D3 in not a treatment recognized by most neurologists. Well, most neurologists don't even recognize CH in women but that doesn't mean we don't have it. There are millions of us, so I just don't understand WHY or HOW they can flatly deny it.Most neurologists know far less about CH than we do. Every one of them would benefit greatly from one 2hour long K10. I often wonder how such obviously intelligent people can be so stupid at the same time. There are a few doctors now who are beginning to recognize the benefits of D3 of after learning from their patients, and are recommending it to other patients. The D3 regime is still fairly new - these things take time to become known.

Who told you 02 is toxic and hazardous. What about astronauts and divers and millions of sick people including the very elderly and premature babies.

You also say that discounting suicide risk, the treatments are far more dangerous than the CH. Well I believe there would have been many more suicides if it had not been for those treatments. You are fortunate that you have 4 - 5 hits a day, in a 10 day cycle. Some of us have many more than that - I personally have had between 8 and 13 per day since mid february, and some people have worse than that.The chronic sufferers live with this every day for their whole lives. It changes your perspective. Lots of people have lost their jobs - resulting in being unable to get meds at all, losing their homes and then their families. These stories have all been here on the boards. I don't believe that the physical strain of untreated pain and the emotional strain of worrying about, and possibly losing everything you have could possibly be better than the meds. When I'm having a full blown k10, if I didn't already have stuff that helps, I would try anything new - ANYTHING.

I don't agree that some meds will extend the cycle. Your cycle is what it is and they change all by themselves. My current cycle has now been going on for 4 months, whilst previously I have had mini cycles lasting 3 days, followed by a month, then back to a few days, then a "one off" in the middle of an otherwise fairy long remission, then back to the beginning. I have never had 2 cycles the same. I think the fact that you have had a 6 week cycle when they are normally 10 days is pure coincidence, and sadly may happen again.

If you have found what works for you then stick with it, but if that changes you may find you are more willing to try D3 and 02 regardless of the misinformation your neuro (who has never experienced a CH) has told you. Sumatriptan injections are also a big fave of mine, but when the dose is limited to 2 per day I turn to 02 for the others, and often find if I get on it fast enough the hit will turn into a non event.

Thanks for coming here to share your thoughts even though, as jon said, we don't always agree. But it's how we learn, and everything we know has come from discussions like this. Keep you stash topped up as I do. One less thing to worry about.
Maz.

IP Logged

PTLeighton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NE, North Carolina
Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 7:34am

WOW!!!
People on this board get upset pretty easily…

First of all, those of us with CH are generally more knowledgeable about the condition than most Neurologists because we have a vested interest.
Unfortunately, we need those Neurologists to get prescriptions and insurance coverage for the care we need.
My Neurologist is a headache specialist and has actually spoken at CH events. (Dr. Neil Pugach)

That being said, do what works for you.
Every CH suffer has their own story and things that work for them.
(Hit the mushrooms if that works for you…)

On to Oxygen…
Yes, it works for a lot of CH patients.
The flow rate that is required for it to work scares most Doctors.
Look up Oxygen Toxicity…
“Oxygen toxicity is a condition resulting from the harmful effects of breathing molecular oxygen (O2) at elevated partial pressures.”
That is what doctors are concerned about.
I’m not making this up or distributing false information.
In fact, I learned about this from the information published on this site!
Are the doctors wrong?
No, they are just going off what they learned in med school.

The point I was trying to make is that quite a few effective CH treatments are not viewed to be particularly safe by traditional medical standards.
Verapamil = Dangerously low blood pressure
O2 = Perceived risk of Oxygen Toxicity
Sumatriptan = Cardiovascular Risk
Psilocybin Mushroom = Illegal

D3 Regiment…
It may work great for a lot of people and I will likely try it.
The rate at which members here mention it in just about EVERY post as a cure all is off putting.
My Neurologist doesn’t recommend it or O2 therapy for that matter.
There are plenty that do.

On to me…
It has taken me almost 15 years to get a handle on the Beast and I’m not real anxious to try something new when I currently have an effective means of management.
My cycles are relatively brief compared to most and my remission times are anywhere between 6 to 16 months.
Why the hell would I want to do anything that might run the risk of changing that pattern?
Steroids most definitely did and I need to look at the risk vs. the gain.
Of course it is the nature of the Beast to change and anything can happen.

Cheers…
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2015 at 7:35am by PTLeighton »  

IP Logged

tangerinearmy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 7:56am

not one persons reply to any of your posts come across as being upset,they come across as a discussion.#now your last post comes across as you are upset at the discussion that you started.
oh you also come across rather stubborn. Tongue

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #24 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 8:17am

We are not upset, and sorry if we've upset you. It wasn't our intention, and we don't think you are making it up. Far from it. It's just that things like D3 have been so fantastic that we feel it's only fair to pass it on. It would be criminal to discover something that helps and then keep it to ourselves. You have been bombarded with posts about it because so many people have benefited from it and want to share that. It's not a cure all, but if it saves just one person from intolerable pain it must be worth a try. You could be that person.
What does upset me and often brings me to tears is to hear how people suffer because their doctor refuses 02, or because they are too scared to try things which are known to help.

02 is also a life saver for most of us and when sumatriptan is in short supply for whatever reason  - well, I'm sure it's saved mine. I have no ill effect from it. Nor do I from sumatriptan.

Our fear is that a newbie should come along and be scared off by your post, when they could be helped by the above methods.

I agree we all need our neurologists in order to get what we need, but they DO sometimes get it wrong. I had three wrong diagnoses before I got the right one which resulted in over 5 years with no help what so ever. To get the right diagnosis and meds at long last was such a relief.

All medication has it's risks no matter what it's for- even a plain old aspirin for an ordinary headache (my favourite kind). We have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks, and it's a decision that we alone can make for ourselves.
Me? I too am reluctant to switch meds or try new ones when, like you I feel I now have a handle on this thing. But I wouldn't give up my 02 for a kings ransom.

Sorry once again if you have been offended, or feel we have "put down" your info. It was the last thing we were trying to do.
Take care
Maz.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2015 at 8:18am by maz »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!