Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex alternatives ? (Read 3296 times)
cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Imitrex alternatives ?
Jul 24th, 2015 at 6:45pm

Hi,
Been away from the forum for few years, I am in Egypt and there is no Imitrex here, is there any alternatives ?

As reference about me I still get attacks each year the only thing that work with me until now is O2 also tried D3 but did not work with me even with high dosage.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Re: Imitrex alternatives ?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 1:38am

Could be known as Imigran in your part of the world.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 2:56am

Hey CCH,

Good question.  Check out the following link for an answer... 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If that doesn't work shoot me a PM.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 10:07am

Print the PDF file, below, and use it to discuss options with your doctor.

If this is available, I'd recommend giving it a try.
====
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 11:43am

Hoppy wrote on Jul 25th, 2015 at 1:38am:
Could be known as Imigran in your part of the world.

Hoppy

Yes we have imigran, thanks

Thanks Batch, Bob Johnson you all are real friends in my difficult times.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 11:53am by cch »  

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:11pm

I am currently taken Depakine two pills daily + one pill of cipralex, can cipralex be a good replacement for ZYPREXA ?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 2:16pm

No; Cipralex is use to treat depression and is not the same type of drug.

Olanzapine was not intended to treat Cluster. One of the best headache doctor in the U.S. just found its benefit by accident. One of those events which you can't plan.

My personal experience with olanzapine was so good that I stoppped using any other abortive medication for my Clusters. In the U.S., it's inextensive and, being a pill, it's easy to carry with you (compared to an injection or spray).

Your drug store or doctor can tell you whether it's available.

In the U.S. it much less expensive compared to many of the other abortive meds. used for Cluster.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 4:44pm

Thanks Bob looks like a new hope.

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 5:30am

@Bob
How long it take until ZYPREXA take effect ? I am currently having attacks for 30 minutes so is it fast like O2 ?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 6:41am

Zyprexa works as a preventative like Verapamil and Lithium. It will take a week or two to kick in.

Hoppy

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:32am

And for how long I should take it ? should the dosage reduced gradually ?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:05am

Olanzapine is not a preventive like Verap. although, as you will read below, in a few cases it apparently stopped Cluster completely.

Its used is as an abortive when you are having an attack. It works in about 20 minutes. As with all abortive meds, you use it when an attack is developing--and use it as the first sign of an attack.

Not used on a regular basis to prevent attacks.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:14am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:36am

Thanks Bob, should I take the 5 mg or 10 mg ?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:36am by cch »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 5:05pm

I was on 5mg Zyprexa taken at bedtime for a number of years, and in all that time had no Spring or Autumn episodes, but because of weight gain my GP suggested I stop taking it which I did. That was a couple of months before Spring of 2012. Then come Spring as per normal the beast came a calling, back to my GP I went who then put me on Imigran  tablets, and the rests history. I'm now on the vitamin D regime and CH free.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 10:36pm

Your question about dose size: follow the procedure outlined in the medical abstact above:try 5mg, moveto  10mg if 5 doesn't give good, fast relief.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!