Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is best O2 LPM ? (Read 2978 times)
cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

What is best O2 LPM ?
Jul 31st, 2015 at 12:53am

Hi
What is best/idle O2 LPM ?

Also after O2 and headache aborted I feel very week like I have no energy left, why is that ? is it normal ? is there a solution ?

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: What is best O2 LPM ?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 1:17am

If the bag stays full it's immaterial.

Potter

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 2:00am

The general belief here is a minimum of 15lpm in a non-rebreather mask while many swear by using it up to 25lpm.

There's buttons to the left of your screen and one of them is for 'Oxygen Info' and this  gives heaps of advice on how to get the best results.

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on with it.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 2:29am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

That has a load of info on using oxygen.

The best flow rate is the one that gets you pain free. What I did was to experiment and I found that 25lpm resulted in much faster aborts than lower rates, so that is what I use.

It isn't too surprising you feel weak after a CH when you consider what it involves.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:19am

I suffered needlessly for years because I thought that oxygen didn't work for me. Eventually I understood what Potter said in his post, above.

My breathing rate was outrunning my regulator at 25 LPM. I fell prey to advice of "x" number of LPM and thought that I was getting enough - but it wasn't enough for a fast abort. When I got a large 3 liter bag and adjusted my regulator wide open, the bag was not getting even half refilled between breaths.

For some people, the number is 8 LPM, for others it is closer to 40+ lpm. This is why people push demand valves - they can provide enough for any human, without getting wrapped up in the numbers.

Once I learned how to get, and how to breathe very high flow rates - my whole world changed. I cringe thinking of all of the needless agony of being chronic for so many years.

Just don't take another person's advice what flow rate is right for you.

The answer is "As much as you can breathe."

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:38am

I have only the mask and a regulator up to 15 LPM, I will try find here in my country something with a bag

thanks to all

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:55am

Go to the CH.com store. The Opti-mask there is better than anything other than the demand valve.

And read the Oxygen info on the left.  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 12:15pm

I use the hyperventilation technique described by Batch in this thread: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It works very well for me even with the regulator set to 15LPH, and little O2 is wasted.  I think the technique should be added to the oxygen info page.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 7:44pm

Good idea to link that thread! I'm one of the people who needs a much higher than 25 lpm.

THAT is what caused me to suffer needlessly for too many years. People here kept telling me that up to 25 LPM would do it. It didn't, so I gave up on O2 until Linda told me to try it again at a higher flow. OMG - what a difference!

BUT by the same token, I have personally held a Clustermask mask on sufferers face at 25 lpm, and watched the tears flow as the pain mystically drained away.  Anyone who suffers from CH's, will instantly understand the wonderment of the "pain drain."

Some folks need more than  others. That's why I interject my comments when someone suggests the "correct" amount of flow. Your 8 LPM might equal my 40 LPM.

Potter is correct.

Marc
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2015 at 7:44pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 7:28am

Good advice Marc.. I use the hyperventilation method (Batch finally got me straightened out on that one) with the demand valve and it works GREAT.

First time Chuck put that thing on my face and told me to "Breath you old broad" - it only took 3 minutes (Batch was in the back of the room timing it) to kill that CH. I told Chuck either his demand valve thing was going home with me or he was. Smiley

Later Linda got hit and he "doctored" her also and she had the same reaction as I did. We both left the convention with a demand valve. They are a little expensive, but worth every cent. Kiss

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:15pm

BarbaraD wrote on Aug 1st, 2015 at 7:28am:
Good advice Marc.. I use the hyperventilation method (Batch finally got me straightened out on that one) with the demand valve and it works GREAT.

First time Chuck put that thing on my face and told me to "Breath you old broad" - it only took 3 minutes (Batch was in the back of the room timing it) to kill that CH. I told Chuck either his demand valve thing was going home with me or he was. Smiley

Later Linda got hit and he "doctored" her also and she had the same reaction as I did. We both left the convention with a demand valve. They are a little expensive, but worth every cent. Kiss

Just to be sure that new folks understand:

Demand valves are great, because you simply breathe in and they supply O2 at whatever rate that your lungs are "demanding."  It doesn't need a reservoir bag, because it responds instantly to your "demand."  If you can afford one, heck yes - get it!

A standard regulator puts out a steady flow of O2 into the reservoir bag - which deflates when you breathe in, and inflates as you exhale. As long as the regulator can keep up with your "demand" (breathing rate) they provide the same basic function of supplying O2 to you to breathe.

I need something around 45 LPM to hyperventilate, and that rocks my world by aborting CH's in 2-3 minutes.

25 LPM is certainly helpful, BUT the delay in aborting the hit, allows the Beast ramp it up to a much higher pain level - because the bag goes flat and I can't fill my lungs - forcing me to breathe slower/more shallowly. I use a welding regulator that cost me $35. and will go to hundreds of lpm if I needed it.

I really only need the super high flow for the first 1-2 minutes - then I can back it down to a slow rate of 15-20 lpm to finish the process for another minute or so.

AGAIN: Some folks are very successful at 6-8 lpm.

I only want to explain that SOME OF US NEED A MUCH HIGHER flow rate in order to stop the "hit" from becoming a big one.

For ME, 40-50 lpm makes CH's a 3 minute interruption in my day, as opposed to the previous years of writhing on the floor for 30-40 minutes, 3-5 times every day. (Chronic)

Bottom line: If you think that O2 doesn't work for you, learn to suck 40-50 lpm before you bail out and suffer needlessly - like I did for so many years.

Now, my world is truly wonderful when, after 14+ years of devastating agony, I learned to kill virtually every attack before it got bad.

What is that worth??!!!

Marc
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:25pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 11:43pm

A higher flow rate also allows one to fully fill your lungs.....even if you aren't hyperventilating, fully exhaling and inhaling will shorten abort times for many.

I have about every style regulator known......my favorite is the demand valve....but I won't walk past my 40 lpm with a cluster mask to get to it either.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 10:28am

Thanks for explaining that.. I just know it works -not how.. (I'm really technically challenged).  Kiss

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 6:55pm

Racer1_NC wrote on Aug 1st, 2015 at 11:43pm:
A higher flow rate also allows one to fully fill your lungs.....even if you aren't hyperventilating, fully exhaling and inhaling will shorten abort times for many.

I have about every style regulator known......my favorite is the demand valve....but I won't walk past my 40 lpm with a cluster mask to get to it either.

If I recall, you can outrun a 40 lpm regulator if you are feeling intense about aborting?

By the way, I appreciate all that you do quietly helping people behind the scenes without ever taking credit!

Marc

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 7:03pm

Quote:
If I recall, you can outrun a 40 lpm regulator if you are feeling intense about aborting?

I can....but as you say.....that's in a intense situation. Early catches......it's all good.

Quote:
By the way, I appreciate all that you do quietly helping people behind the scenes without ever taking credit!

Wish I could do more.....life has me beaten down for time so badly at the moment it's hard to even stick my head up and look around right now. Funny how fast things can change on you......never see it coming.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 6:33pm

Racer1_NC wrote on Aug 2nd, 2015 at 7:03pm:
Quote:

I can....but as you say.....that's in a intense situation. Early catches......it's all good.

Quote:

Wish I could do more.....life has me beaten down for time so badly at the moment it's hard to even stick my head up and look around right now. Funny how fast things can change on you......never see it coming.

But, with the right attitude, you CAN see it going! Wink

As a Clusterhead, you know how to tackle challenges.

That also means that you already know that achieving your goal most often comes down to your attitude - and how it impacts your internal guidance system.

Cowboy up and ride hard! That's easier said than done, but still easier than not doing it, when you know that you are right....

Marc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!