Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
verapamil and blood pressure (Read 4203 times)
cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

verapamil and blood pressure
Aug 16th, 2015 at 5:23pm

I am from Egypt and I told my doctor about verapamil , he subscribe it for me but he told me it also cause low blood pressure and my problem is that my blood pressure is naturally low what I should do ?

here is what my doctor gave me

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: verapamil and blood pressure
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 7:31pm

Isoptin is a brand name for verapamil, so you've got the right thing.

What dose has he given you? For many people they need 360mg to 480mg a day, but some need up to 1000mg. But work with your doctor around dose changes and it takes 7-10 days before a dose become effective, so don't change it sooner.

Verapamil can for some people cause issues with low blood pressure, but not everyone, so see how your react to it.

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 7:24am

my doctor said one tab 80 mg a day I dont know what to do.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 9:56am

Print the file, below, and give to your doctor.

It's is surprising how few people have to stop using it because their blood pressure become too low. I don't understand why this is so, considering the rather high doses we use for Cluster.

All you can do is try it and watch your pressure until you see how your body reacts. The central point is that it has been used for many years as a preventive and is widely used. This is why you should give this article to your doctor.

I'd suggest that you look for a doctor who has training and experience treating headache. This is a complex area of medicine and few doctors have the education and experience to care for us with skill. (I don't know how you search for specality doctors in Egypt. Try calling a hospital and ask them how to look for one.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:20am

Thanks Bob, I almost out of doctors in my city but do I have to take 360 mg to take effect ?
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:22am by cch »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 12:12pm

Look at the article I just sent to you. It suggests starting at 200mg and then increasing the dose if you don't get good effect.

Start at 200 and then wait for one week to see if the attacks reduce. If not, increase another 100mg and wait to see what happens.

The maxiumum is about 900mg, altough not very common.

Ask your doctor to give you an EKG now and then at regular internals as you increase the dose. If he sees any abnormality you stop the drug entirely. The risk is serious if you have the EKGs are done to see if a problem developes. But, overall, this med has a very good, long record for safety and is the most commonly used drug to prevent Clusters.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 3:54pm

thanks Bob, what is EKG ?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 9:24pm

It is a test of how your heart is beating or pumping blood. It measures how regularly it is beating and helps to identfy problems, disease in the heart.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2015 at 3:22pm

verapamil now stopped my attacks but I feel very weak I think because of low blood pressure , how long should I take verapamil ?
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2015 at 3:23pm by cch »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 11:01am

1. First, get your blood pressure measured. If it is low, tell your doctor. You don't have to see the doctor to get it measured; his nurse/assissant can do this. BUT if the pressre stays low, the doctor should know about it. He should give you an EKG (a heart test).

2. If there are no reasons for stopping taking it, you can for long periods. Some people have Cluste cycles (a period when they have attacks which is rather predictable in length). If you have this experience, you can stop usinsg Veap. at the end of this period. If your attacks cannot be predicted, and there are no problems caused by the Verap, you can use the medicine non-stop.

3. If the doctor doesn't want you to use Verap, look in the article I sent you, for an alternative preventive. Discuss you options with the doctor.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 11:31am

Thanks Bob, the cycle usually take 1 month so I will take it for a month and see, I take now another medicine for raising my blood pressure hoping it cancel the effect of verapamil so I can get back to my work.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 7:33pm

cch wrote on Aug 21st, 2015 at 11:31am:
Thanks Bob, the cycle usually take 1 month so I will take it for a month and see, I take now another medicine for raising my blood pressure hoping it cancel the effect of verapamil so I can get back to my work.

- What did your doctor say about your low blood pressure?
- How low was it?
- How much Verapamil did your doctor tell you to take?
- What medication did your doctor prescribe to raise your blood pressure?

I sincerely hope that you have honest answers to these questions, and that you not "self-medicating."

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 9:13pm

@Marc,
Not self medicating but doctors in my country are not that good in general so with rare thing like CH their information are limited. I have to stick to what is actually work even if it kills me it will be more merciful than feeling that pain again.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2015 at 9:14pm by cch »  

IP Logged

Tugn3
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Chesterfield Va
Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 6:16pm

89thI too have low(good) blood pressure along with a low pulse rate. I was prescribed 480 mg. a day of Verapamil but had to cut it back to 240 a day because of a concerning drop in my pressure and pulse rate. Pressure and pulse have stabilized but headaches continue. Good luck.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 12:00pm

I believe that I suggested a trial of this medicine. Did you talk to your doctor about it? You can tell wether it's effective you you with only a few uses (4-6).

If it works, you could stop using Verapamil or other preventives.
===================Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 7:42pm

I have the same problem.

Be sure to drink a little extra fluid each day. That will help with blood pressure.

I also take a higher dose at night than in the day (my headaches are at night). I do 120 mg at night and 80 mg in the day.

After 3-4 weeks, I stop the medication to see if the episode has stopped.

Good luck! You came to the right place.

IP Logged

Aeryklaca
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 12:28am

My BP and HR are like clockwork: BP: 100/50, HR 46. Been that way for years! I do no tolerate BP meds at all! Actually, no meds really work with me...and I've tried everything. Just abortives: Triptans and O2.

Note: I get from 3 to 10 a day, every day.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2015 at 12:28am by Aeryklaca »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!