Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vertigo (Read 3162 times)
cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Vertigo
Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:10pm

Hi
I have now CH and I take verapamil daily 80 mg but I start to suffer from vertigo also is it because of the CH or taking verapamil ? also I appreciate any advise to stop this vertigo.

Thanks

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Vertigo
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:36pm

Hi cch,

Have you looked into Batch's D3 regimen to manage your CH?

It is working very well for a lot of us so it's really worth looking into. You can read lots about it under the "Medications and Treatments" section on this site, in the thread "123 days pain free....". There's a lot of reading in there but it's worth it.

Also, read the link below for an interesting article on Vertigo.

The D3 regimen could kill two birds with one stone.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Keep posting and ask questions.

Mind yourself,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 3:45pm

You ask your doctor! If it is the Verap, he is the one to fix the issue.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 5:29pm

This is a coincidence !!
I have had CH for about 8 years. About 2 months ago I had really bad vertigo, which thankfully only lated 2 days. I have never had it before in my life. I have never taken verapamil.

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 10:41am

I mean does CH also make vertigo ? the D3 did not work with me so any other suggestions are welcomed

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm

cch wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:10pm:
I have now CH and I take verapamil daily 80 mg

80mg a day of verapamil is a very low dose for use as a CH preventive, with most people needing around 360mg a day. But your personal medical history might preclude you from a higher dose, so do work with your doctor on what dose is appropriate for you.

As for the vertigo, this could be related to low blood pressure, which might explain why you are only on a low dose of verapamil since it acts to reduce blood pressure.

You need to discuss this with your doctor and potentially this could result in changing from verapamil to another preventive like lithium or topamax.

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 8:44pm

80mg/day of Verapamil works pretty well for me.  It really knocked my last episode down, with a shortened cycle and not to painful headaches.  My Neuro didn't want to raise the dosage.

I have since also started the D3 regimen.  I was expecting the next episode to start around the first day of Fall as it normally does.  I felt like I had a few almost indetectable shadows for a few days, but they have gone away.  i am hoping the D3 and Verapamil together are working for me.  I am about to get a D3 serum test to see what my level is up to.

I feel like I am one of the luckier ones on this site.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 1:09am

I'm thinking along the same lines as Mike NZ about the verapamil. It is a blood pressure med and even a low dose could lower your pressure to unsafe level if you already have low BP. I've been on 240 daily for the last 5+ years. About a year ago it was raised to 360 but that little increase was too much for my BP.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 7:45am

Mike NZ wrote on Oct 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm:
cch wrote on Oct 8th, 2015 at 2:10pm:
I have now CH and I take verapamil daily 80 mg

80mg a day of verapamil is a very low dose for use as a CH preventive, with most people needing around 360mg a day. But your personal medical history might preclude you from a higher dose, so do work with your doctor on what dose is appropriate for you.

As for the vertigo, this could be related to low blood pressure, which might explain why you are only on a low dose of verapamil since it acts to reduce blood pressure.

You need to discuss this with your doctor and potentially this could result in changing from verapamil to another preventive like lithium or topamax.

Thanks, my problem I become allergic to topamax and lithium make me feel very week , is that normal with the lithium ?

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 7:48am

BobG,
Yes 80mg /day is high for me because I already have low BP.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 9:28am

Lithium was my prevent of choice for over 20 years, started at 900 mg a day, went as high as 1200 a day. I was fortunate, never got the tremors, ear ringing, it slowed me a little but nothing a cup of coffee didn't overcome. Stopped lithium when I started the Batch regimen, been pain free on that system for over 5 years. I never tried Topomax.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

cch
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 8:48pm

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 10th, 2015 at 9:28am:
Lithium was my prevent of choice for over 20 years, started at 900 mg a day, went as high as 1200 a day. I was fortunate, never got the tremors, ear ringing, it slowed me a little but nothing a cup of coffee didn't overcome. Stopped lithium when I started the Batch regimen, been pain free on that system for over 5 years. I never tried Topomax.

Joe

Thanks Joe I wish the D3 worked for me, anyway so if I took caffeine I can getover weakness or slow feeling ? 

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 11:42pm

I never did the caffeine pills, I just found a cup or two of coffee more then overcame the lethargy that sometimes came the first 2 weeks or so on lithium.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 10:06am

Lithium is a very effective med for some conditions BUT--
you need regular blood tests to prevent a dose which can be toxic.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!