Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Red Bull (taurine) as preventative measure (Read 3730 times)
aceserve
CH.com Veteran

Salem, Oregon
Red Bull (taurine) as preventative measure
Oct 22nd, 2015 at 2:48am

Hello. There are several Red Bull threads, some many years old, in this message board focusing on using Red Bull and other energy drinks to abort attacks. But what about preventing attacks? (Those discussions are probably here too but I didn't find them.)

This is not exactly a scientific study, but Red Bull seems to be preventing attacks during my current cycle. On days when I drink two cans of Red Bull as a routine and not to abort an attack, that following night I am CH free (the CHs have been hitting almost exclusively at night this cycle). On Saturday I did not drink Red Bull and that night I had five CHs. On Sunday, I drank two smallish cans of Red Bull. I had no CHs that night. On Monday I did not drink two cans of Red Bull, and that night I suffered through two CHs. On Tuesday and Wednesday, I drank two cans each day and was pain-free both following nights. I do not suggest that Red Bull is an absolute preventative measure, but in this particular cycle it seems to be having an effect. I'm not going to test it by abstaining from drinking Red Bull today though; you can bet on that! My cycle usually last five weeks. This one has been going on for about 17 days now.

Of course, if Red Bull did actually prevent attacks in many cases in addition to being occasionally a helpful abortive component, that would have been discovered long before I had this experience with Red Bull. I sure don't want to raise false expectations for anyone. But I cannot help but think it is having a positive effect for me during this particular cycle. I hope it is.

Have you had similar experiences, positive or negative?

Regards, Ace
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2015 at 2:58am by aceserve »  

Ahhh, what a relief to be pain free. Hang in there. Good times are comin'.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: Red Bull (taurine) as preventative measure
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 11:26am

Hi aceserve,
Redbull / energy drinks never worked as an abortive for me but I always recommend it to newcomers because it does seem to work for so many people, so I always say it's worth a shot. I've never tried it as a preventative, but I will now.

There are no two of us alike, and it's common to find what works for some is useless to others.  I don't suppose it's particularly good for your health, but my attitude now is - do what you have to do.  If you find it's working this way for you, I would stick with it. I'll get some and give it a try myself. You can also buy taurine which I guess could be put in other drinks so that may be worth looking in to as well.
Maz.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 4:14pm

Hi Ace,

Couple of thoughts: Red Bull was the first energy drink, has high advertising so is expensive. Also surprisingly low caffeine compared to most such (80 mg). I always buy other brands at a grocery outlet type store...1$ a can or less for drinks with over 1000 mg taurine and 100-200 caffeine/serving...with a big can you only need half...at least I do. To repeat old thread info cuz some have not heard...slamming a really cold energy drink was of additional benefit for me (numbing?)... as was the high sugar (my hits sometimes triggered by low blood sugar),...and the carbonation (unavailable in regular coffee) speeds up adsorption. If you don't want the sugar there are sugar-free options available...

As for prevent vs abortive...I used to try that dance every once in a while...timing consumption to expected hit times...which were remarkably consistent. Was partially successful but it was always a tricky shuffle and if I mistimed then further caffeine/taurine had no abortive effect. We're all different so I'd give it a shot twere I you..............................

Best

jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

aceserve
CH.com Veteran

Salem, Oregon
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 10:17am

Thank you for the replies maz and jon019.
Yesterday I drank two Red Bulls, but last night I was awoken with a CH. I did a quick injection of sumatriptan, and it didn't get too bad. So if Red Bull is a preventative for me, it ain't 100 percent. All the best, Ace

Ahhh, what a relief to be pain free. Hang in there. Good times are comin'.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 4:54am

Hey aceserve,  As maz and jon have said, it works differently from person to person.
For instance, I can kill a posible hit by sculling a red bull, if I get it early enough, it definitely will kill off a shadow.
Its another string in the bow for us, trial and error will tell exactly how good it is for you.

regards
colin

IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 9:01am

I have been buying Red Bull in bulk because it seems to cut from attack time by half, say from 40 min to 20 min. By cutting, I am only measuring the duration of time when I can't lie down because the pain is 8 or greater. I find it hard to measure the time otherwise, since the shadows can last and last.

I am a new member, so I don't know much. I grew up near Thailand where Red Bull took off, and used to drink red bull every day when I was a teenager. Therefore, I am partial to red bull vs monster. Taurine was from the bile of the bull. However, I hear that they are both manufactured by monster now, and so there might be no difference. I also don't know if they still get it from bulls.

CVS nears me sells it for $2.50 per small can, but if you buy with a sale or the big can, it works out to $2.
For bulk, I am buying from Amazon. $1.44 per small can.

I hear that BJ's sells Red Bull, and Costco sells Monster. It might be cheaper there. I will post when I find out more. I have sent my family scouts out, since I can't drive with CH.

I am also taking Theanine Serene, because I found it helped me before sleep to reduce attacks, and during attacks. It has both Magnesium and Taurine, the former helping Batch's Vitamin D cocktail. However, pills are slow to absorb, and nothing beats it in drink form. I watch my budget but when I am 8 or higher in pain, I scream for the $2 red bull. Just my experience.

IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 8:36am

I confirm that some Costco locations have red bull and monster, but not all. They go for $35 for 24 in NY, but Monster has twice the liquid.

I was going to buy Monster and then I saw the slogan "unleash the beast". Are you F-ing kidding me? Sorry, I am so mild-mannered all my life, but I feel justified to curse now.

In the end, I did not buy either. Amazon is at $34 if you subscribe is cheaper than Costco. I would buy Monster if I actually know the taurine content is twice per can, rather than twice the sugar water. Looking at the nutritional labels or the website does not show the actual taurine levels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!