Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old/new member (Read 2438 times)
Kim Dawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Old/new member
Nov 21st, 2015 at 2:03pm

Hi all!  I'm Kim.  I was on this site a long time ago, I believe my ID was kimmiedawn8199.  Well, looks like the beast is back, after almost 4 years hiatus.  Not really good timing since I just gave birth 2 weeks ago.  Just trying to make sense of the Vitamin D3 regimen.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Old/new member
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 3:18pm

Hi Kim and welcome back, although sorry your return is from CH returning.

Congratulations on the new arrival too.

D3 can work wonders for preventing CH, with some of us having gone multiple years CH pain free as a result. Send Batch a PM and he'll update you with everything you need to know about D3.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 12:46am

Hey Kim,

Sorry you're back with us... but as always, welcome home.  As I recall, Kim found the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the Omega-3 Fish Oil and vitamin D3 cofactors a great way to prevent her CH... over four years ago.  She was one of our early success stories.

I've already responded to a PM from Kim earlier today, so I'll use her post as an opportunity to make a few observations to other readers...

The first is CH'ers need to stay on this regimen year-round...  Obviously that goes for us chronic CH'ers, and also for the episodic CH'ers.  For the episodic types, staying on this regimen year-round means the next episodic cycle will likely be a non-event and they'll sail through it pain free.

The second reason for staying on this regimen year round is the many health benefits made possible while taking it...  even if you're not a CH'er... so this point goes to all the supporters...  you need to be taking this regimen as well.

The third observation deals with CH and pregnancy.  There's no rhyme or reason behind this relationship...  Some ladies with CH have cycles during their pregnancy and some remain pain free until shortly after giving birth... then the beast jumps ugly...  just when they need a peaceful time more than ever to recover from birthing and to enjoy that new bundle of wonderfulness...  and that brings us to the need for vitamin D3 during pregnancy and while breastfeeding...

The data available today clearly calls for vitamin D3 during pregnancy...  at least 6,000 IU/day plus the cofactors...  I've first-hand information from my daughter, her OB and pediatrician that 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the cofactors is very safe during pregnancy and while breast feeding... 

Accordingly, ladies in a motherly way or contemplating becoming so need vitamin D3 and the cofactors.  The anti-inflammatory regimen fills that need even if they don't have CH...   

That little critter thumping away in mommy's tummy needs vitamin D3 as well.  The most important gifts you can give thumper is a strong immune system and good health... all the way from conception through pregnancy, delivery and during breast feeding. Taking vitamin D3 and the cofactors is the best way to ensure that gift at 30 cents a day...  50 cents a day if you add the vitamin K2.

There are several studies that have found maternal vitamin D3 passes through the placenta to the embryo but not 25(OH)D.  Cord blood tests have found 35% to 45% of maternal vitamin D3 makes it through the placenta to thumper... 

Roughly the same percentage of maternal vitamin D3 passes through the mammary glands into mother's milk to the breastfeeding newborn.  As the half-life of serum vitamin D3 is roughly a day and a half, it's best to take vitamin D3 on a daily basis during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. 

If you need to bottle feed the newest member of the family, supplementing with vitamin D3 is essential. Most commercial off-the-shelf formula contain 400 IU of vitamin D3 in a day's worth of milk.  A good rule of thumb is 50 IU per pound of body weight.  That means a can of formula meets this rule of thumb for a six to eight pounder... after that as your baby gains weight, your baby will need additional vitamin D3... 

Sooo...  for all you ladies in a motherly way or planning on becoming that way...  see your OB for the 25(OH)D lab test and discuss the anti-inflammatory regimen...  If you do this, be sure to ask your OB for the 25(OH)D lab test on your baby's cord blood...  That way you'll know for sure just how much vitamin D3 Thumper is getting...

GrassrootsHealth has an excellent web page with lots of links about taking vitamin D3 during pregnancy at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Grassrootshealth is also sponsoring a program offering free vitamin D3 and labs for selected participants during pregnancy...  See the following link for details:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:35am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Kim Dawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 1:30pm

Unfortunately that wasn't me who was a success story 4 years ago.  I'm hoping I can be a Vitamin d3 success story very soon though Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:47pm

Hey Kim,

You're correct... it was another Kimmie...  sorry about the confusion...  The other Kimmie lives in Texas...  On top of that there's at least one more Kim that I've worked with on vitamin D3 and oxygen.  Her CH returned two weeks after the birth of her latest child...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:04am

The latest from GrassrootsHealth on Vitamin D3...  Good stuff... 

Take care,

V/R Batch

Daily Dosing

How is vitamin D absorbed and used in your body?

Vitamin D3 enters the body through sun exposure, diet or a supplement and goes into the blood stream where much of it binds to the vitamin D binding protein (VDBP) -- a protein that carries vitamin D compounds into circulation. From there, vitamin D3 functions within two systems in the human body - the endocrine system and the autocrine/paracrine system.

#1 - The Endrocrine System - for skeletal health

The endocrine system - this long studied system for action by vitamin D - is where calcium homeostasis and bone health are maintained. Vitamin D3, from UV exposure or diet, is delivered to the liver, converted to 25-hydroxyvitamin D, or 25(OH)D, and moved into circulation where it has a half life of approximately three weeks. As necessary, 25(OH)D is then transferred to the kidney where it is further converted to the active form of 1,25(OH)2D which has a half life of only a few hours. This active form can then help control calcium absorption and bone health. All the successful studies on vitamin D and bone health have benefited from the long half life and availability of 25(OH)D. For bone health, the important thing is the amount of 25(OH)D available, rather than direct intake of vitamin D.

#2 - The Autocrine/Paracrine System - for autoimmune health

What has not been appreciated until relatively recently is that in addition to being delivered to the liver for conversion to 25(OH)D, vitamin D is also delivered directly to all tissues of the body. Many of these tissues, such as breast, colon, prostate, and brain, can convert vitamin D to its active form within the tissue. It is through this process that vitamin D can help enable the cells to fight against infections, disease, and autoimmune disorders. Vitamin D has a half life in the autocrine system of roughly 24 hours, so in order for it to have a meaningful impact on cellular functions, you need a new supply of it every day. This new understanding means that frequency of dosing matters when testing for disease reduction and immune control - large monthly or quarterly doses that are effective for bone health will not show positive results for disease reduction. For disease prevention and treatment, daily dosing (food, sun, supplement) is very important!

Do nursing mothers need daily D3?

Without daily dosing, breast feeding mothers could have 50-60 ng/ml of measurable 25(OH)D in their blood but no measurable vitamin D3 in their breast milk. After vitamin D3 has been turned to 25(OH)D it cannot enter the breast milk. The only way to get vitamin D in breast milk is by dosing daily - either by sun, diet or supplementation. Dr. Hollis' research indicated that 6,400 IU/day was necessary for breast feeding mothers to attain sufficient vitamin D (to the value of 400 IU/day for the infant) in their breast milk.

Why does this matter for clinical trials?

Most of the clinical trials conducted in the past 40 years have focused on the endocrine system and have consistently shown the positive effects of vitamin D on bone health regardless of dosing regimen (from daily to quarterly). In the past 10 years, many new clinical trials have focused on non-skeletal outcomes such as autoimmune disorders, cancer, cardiovascular disease and infections. These new studies have also used various dosing regimens--but have yielded inconsistent results. Those with adequate daily vitamin D inputs have largely shown positive results while those with longer dosing intervals have shown no vitamin D effect. While 25(OH)D levels are maintained in these studies, it is the vitamin D3 levels that are essential to these systems. Therefore, it is necessary to design a clinical trial based on the physiology of the system of interest in order to accurately assess the effect of vitamin D in the body.

Conclusion

"Circulating vitamin D, the parent compound for tissue vitamin D activation, likely has an important direct physiological role beyond what was originally anticipated through the local tissue autocrine system." Schedules for vitamin D dosing could have profound effect on health outcomes.

(Edited to add my editorial below...)

Most of the RCTs in the last year that used vitamin D3 as the intervention failed to give it at a phamacological dose of 5,000 IU/day to 10,000 IU/day.  Only one of these RCTs used a vitamin D3 loading dose and all of these RCTs treated vitamin D3 as a mono-therapy, i.e., no cofactors...

Here are the examples from queries on clinicaltrials.gov listing vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol as the intervention covering the last year (received on or after 11/01/2014 | updated on or before 11/01/2015).

47 studies found for:    Vitamin D3 /day cholecalciferol | Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol  i.e., a daily dose of vitamin D3.

5 studies found for:    Vitamin D3 4000 IU /day cholecalciferol

1 study found for:    Vitamin D3 5000 IU /day cholecalciferol

1 study found for:    Vitamin D3 7000 IU /day cholecalciferol

No studies found for:    Vitamin D3 10000 IU /day cholecalciferol

1 study found for:    Vitamin D3 4000 IU/day Cholecalciferol plus a Multivitamin

None of the above studies included the vitamin D3 cofactors: magnesium, zinc, boron, vitamin A (retinol).

When you read through these RCTs you come to the conclusion that nearly all of them were poorly designed to investigate the autocrine/paracrine role of vitamin D3 in genetic expression... This was either do to ignorance of vitamin D3 pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, or... these RCTs were intentionally designed this way in order to ensure inconclusive results... 

Big Pharma likes vitamin D3 RCTs with inconclusive results... and for good reason... It would be very bad for their bottom line to have 12 cents worth of USP vitamin D3/day found to be more effective in treating a medical disorder than a patented monoclonal antibody costing ≥ $5000/month...

Sooo... for those of us taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and the vitamin D3 cofactors to prevent our CH... and stay a lot more healthy in the process...  we're way out in front of the vitamin D3 intellectual power curve...

Take care and keep on trucking...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2015 at 4:28am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 11:53pm

What a great read Batch,  thankyou

colin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!