Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Insurance Company, need your experience. (Read 2410 times)
69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

New Insurance Company, need your experience.
Dec 21st, 2015 at 6:00pm

20 year CH. Chronic since 2004 with 1 year break. Old insurance co. covered 90 generic Imitrex 6mg. injections/30 days, which was wonderful I know, I've been stretches without coverage, so it was fantastic. New ins. co. wants to cover 4 shots/30 days. This after my neuro jumped through all the prior auth hoops. Point.... anyone with experience negotiating the coverage waters? Something we missed? Appeals process?  Thanks very much, you folks have been most supportive over the years.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: New Insurance Company, need your experience.
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 8:10pm

Hiya...coupla thoughts....I feel for you...went thru about 7 ins changes and it NEVER was easy..
but clusterheads are tough and WE DON'T GIVE UP...just keep repeating that cuz the insurance droids want you to. That is their purpose...they pay folks to sit in airless basements and make soulless decisions......and then reward 'em when you quit....DON'T!

You don't care...it's a game...play HARD...

...whatever the appeal rules are...do 'em to the "t"...don't miss deadlines...keep records of ALL correspondence AND conversations (get names, dates, comments)....note carefully WHEN (not if") they say they don't feel this is appropriate treatment/dosage/medication/whatever...then yu got 'em because THAT is practicing medicine...either without license, or without direct patient interaction..... ("we don't think" ) is malpractice

...nice try on the pre auth...that would of been the first road block but you got that covered. hopefully the busy neuro still has your back...now you need a letter of necessity...in his/her PROFESSIONAL medical opinion this is what YOU...HIS PATIENT.... needs (this worked several times for me). This REALLY puts 'em on the spot...relish it...it can be delicious....

...is this insurance through your workplace? If so you got a potential priceless advocate. FIRST get HR involved...hopefully they got yur back...then get the contact info for the DIRECT insurance broker (person) that bought the insurance policy on behalf of your company. Contact this person directly, tactfully, with all details and frustrations with the calm confidence you now have. THIS person is the customer of the insurance company...which only talks to YOU reluctantly and dismissively...but the broker is in fact their DIRECT customer...they gotta listen to that person. It really helps if the policy is coming due.....but that's just easier

...I'm a little rusty on this...just starting to get aggravated for you...will keep thinking....

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:14am

Thanks so much, all good advice! Neuro has really been an advocate and helped tremendously in the past. It is through my company, so I'll get started tomorrow.

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 11:00pm

I had essentially the same problem with my insurance provider.  The issue, I was told, is that Triptans are not "approved" treatment for CH, they are prescribed for migraines.  Despite some good efforts from my neuro we could never persuade BC/BS of the medical necessity.  They would cover only 6 doses of Zomig/month.  The rest were out of pocket, and as you know, this stuff ain't cheap.  In 2014 I spent over $13k on Zomig alone (basically 1 snort/day).  From time to time the pharmacists (who I came to know quite well) would help by turning in multiple discount cards, and using samples, etc. but at the end of the day, the insurance company would not step up.  I hope you have better luck, and the advice above is spot on - run the details hard, double and triple check everything. 

You might also consider contacting the manufacturer to see if they can offer any help on out-of-pocket pricing if the insurance company lets you down.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:23am

Interesting Traveller....

I had forgotten the migraine:ch thing...tho in my case none of the ins companies even knew what ch was! They all said you can't be having this many migraines a dy/week/month. It made me nuts.... but rather than argue with a stone I pivoted...ok, it's a "whatever" and I AM having them over and above what you say is "normal"....and my medical professional and records can demonstrate that.

Another note...as in other areas of life I am a blessed and lucky man...and this neuro was a saint (a Russian one)....she got more pissed than I was and the letter she wrote scorched the envelope. I got
approved for 18 Zomig NS/mo...didn't need THAT many but I stockpiled like an OCD squirrel.

I think later ins companies worked off that number and reduced it to 12...which was fine...6 don't cut it. One of them was BC/BS...and I mention that because it seems we had different experience with the same provider...perhaps a single person in a particular office. Guess I would try going up the chain...or corporate.... or an ombudsman if they got one.

Re the broker I should have been more detailed. First I got the HR person on board with ALL the details and frustrations(fortunately a friend) to set up my call to the broker...so I wasn't some nut out of the blue. Also helped that we were a stand alone company (not corporate) so we bought our own insurance. Large corporations would make all this advice way more difficult...you will have to go thru many levels and hope there's a heart in there somewhere. But over and above all my wailing and gnashing of teeth and angst and the one time neuro help...the broker tactic was THE BEST.

At least this seems no longer to be about oxygen...30 yrs ago the argument with ins companies
from almost ALL of us was getting O2......

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:45am

Again, thanks all. Had BC/BS and got everything I needed. Work for a Canadian company here in the US so access can be a bit tedious. They just switched us to UHC on 12/1 and that reset everything. Just spoke with UHC myself and they apparently have an appeal process with an "urgent" category. Just overnighted a package request, neuro going to duplicate. Canadians shut down for 2 weeks at Xmas, so no contact until 1/4. Tried D3 regimen a couple of years ago with minor success, may have been coincidental. Ramping up to try again. I don't have to tell anyone here what life's like without meds, especially chronic and 3-6 per day. Plan B is to unenroll from company coverage and purchase BC/BS on my own. Not sure the budget can handle that for very long.

Again, thanks, great folks here!
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:48am by 69Strat »  

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 1:45pm

Thanks Jon - Fortunately, I no longer have to fight that fight.  Just as I was gearing up for WW3 with BC/BS, I moved to Florida and found a wonderful neuro who put me on a CPAP machine which immediately killed off the nighttime attacks (I have reported the success on another thread some months ago).  So now I am left with a bag of about 20 Zomig doses, hoping to Heaven I never need them again. 

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:12pm

That's awesome. I'll have to read the post! Continued success.

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 3:56pm

FYI... end result. Only cooperation from new insurance co. was to have script refilled every day and pay the co-pay every day. Local and corporate HR involved as well as insurance broker to no avail. So, dropped company coverage and paying out of pocket privately for BC/BS. So fortunate I'm able to do that, not willingly, but realize that many can't. I'm 20 miles from Canada. Should move there.

Thanks again for the concern and input.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!