Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil is working for me! (Read 1983 times)
Jeramy Scott
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Verapamil is working for me!
Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:51pm

I've been suffering from cluster headaches off and on since 2008.I was only diagnosed this month.They had been going six months this time,getting worse and worse in frequency.I was having 6 a day,4 while sleeping.I'd sleep 3 hours,and get my first.Slam your head on the floor painful,but I was fortunate they only lasted about 40 minutes.So exhausted I couldn't move after,I'd go back to sleep,wake up in an hour with another.That would repeat twice.I started verapamil on the 9th.By the third night,I still had 4 episodes at night,but they were mild,just enough to wake me,but mild enough I'd fall back asleep during.By the 4th night,I had no episodes.Since that 4th night,I have only had 1 full blown cluster headache.I only get a mild one here and there.I am almost 100% pain free.I was close to decorating the ceiling with my brain and probably most of my head.Side effects,none.That is my experience with verapamil

IP Logged

Jeramy Scott
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Verapamil is working for me!
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:52pm

*Last month,my bad

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 2:10pm

Hello Jeramy,

Welcome to CH.com. There is a wealth of experience here for you to tap into and it's available around the clock, all year long.

It's great to hear that you are currently pain free. That's what we all search for.

Verapamil works very well for a lot of Clusterheads, but it's not strictly true to say there are no side effects. It causes low blood pressure for example and it's important that your Doctor is monitoring that. Long term use of any medicines has consequences.

Have you read up on the D3 regimen?

Best regards,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 8:28pm

Jeramy,

It's really GREAT to hear about your progress! Vera (Verapamil) was my girlfriend for many years.

CH's have a nasty habit of morphing. Invest in your future and read more here, then read even more.

Jump in with questions!

Marc

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 9:38pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Verapamil may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

constipation
    heartburn
    dizziness or lightheadedness
    headache

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment :

swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
    difficulty breathing or swallowing
    slow heartbeat
    fainting
    blurred vision
    rash
    nausea
    extreme tiredness
    unusual bleeding or bruising
    lack of energy
    loss of appetite
    pain in the upper right part of the stomach
    yellowing of the skin or eyes
    flu-like symptoms
    fever

What seems to be the more common ones are the tiredness, lowered blood pressure and constipation (I'm sure the tablets contain concrete dust).

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 9:23am

Lists of med side effects are seriously misleading when the % is not shown. In a full listing the data will report a range of less than 1% and up. Without the % data, it's impossible to make a reasonable judgment about the real life concern.

Useful reports indicate doses in the upper ranges which we use (about 500mg and up), a routine EKG should be part of the treatment. And reports are that even with an EKG which shows a heart rhythm , it resolves quickly when the Ver. is stopped, not a serious issue.

Given the long history of safe use, there is little reason to avoid using it as long as thee isn't a history of heart problems.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MGP59DB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 5:25am

I had good results with Verapamil at first when I started on it ,  after about 4-6 months the HAs started creeping back in , I went to larger doses and that helped somewhat .
In the end out of desperation I tried this D3 program found here .
I suffered the same night time problems you describe and since starting on the D3 suppliments it has gone away .
I strongly suggest you at least give it a try ! The stuff is better for you than prescriptions .
And it sounds to me like you could benefit from it.
Something as simple as a Vitamin D shortage in your system can cause these headaches.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!