Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New around here... (Read 1389 times)
LGodoy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New around here...
Apr 7th, 2016 at 6:14pm

So, hey, I'm Leticia, from Brazil, 19 yo, and I have headaches since I was around 11 or 12. My headache were always said to be for emotional reasons, and later, migraine. I made all the treatments possible, went to a lot of doctors, but it only got worse. Until September of last year, when half of my face went numb (the half where I usually have pain) and then, I went to yet another doctor who said I have Cluster Headache, probably been having for at least a year before that.
My cycles of pain normally are of 2~3 weeks, with 3~4 months without pain between each cycle. I am currently having a cycle, but I'm very worried: This time the beast came a little early (it was supposed to happen in the end of April only), and not in its usual form, but with this insupportable pain nonetheless.
Is it normal, this changes between the times of pain? And what else can I do to make I go away? I know some people have it far worse than I do, but still, I don't know what else I can make.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: New around here...
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:36am

Hi Leticia and welcome

CH can very often vary between cycles, so arriving a bit early, late, changing which side of the head the pain is, etc. is all very normal and nothing to be worried about.

With a cycle of 2-3 weeks, this is too short for most preventives as it typically takes 7-10 days for most to become effective, although I'd look at using vitamin D3 as a preventive as you can use it all the time.

So the main focus will be on killing off a CH when one arrives, so I'd look at using high flow rate oxygen, at least 15lpm (or higher) using a non-rebreather mask (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register has lots of info on it). Or ask your doctor about imitrex injections or nasal spray.

Also read up all you can here, there is so much to learn.

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Re: New around here..
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 4:37am

Welcome to the site, Leticia. On the left side of the screen is a 'cluster quiz' button. Have you taken the quiz? What were to results?

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 7:03am

Saudações Laticia,

Welcome to CH.com.  We know what you are going through and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way.

Where in Brazil do you live?  I have traveled to Manaus and up the Amazon to Tabatinga while working for OAS. 

I suspect you are vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency is contributing to your cluster headaches.  See your primary care physician and ask for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  25(OH)D is the first metabolite of vitamin D3 that's used to measure its status.  The normal reference range for this lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL, (75 to 250 nmol/L). 

Nearly all cluster headache sufferers (CHers) are vitamin D3 deficient.

If your lab test 25(OH)D comes back less than 30 ng/mL, (75 nmol/L), you have some excellent neurologists in Brazil who understand the need for vitamin D3 and how to treat medical conditions caused by a vitamin D3 deficiency.

Please check your PM InBox.  I've sent you some additional information.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

LGodoy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: New around here..
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 6:34pm

BobG wrote on Apr 8th, 2016 at 4:37am:
Welcome to the site, Leticia. On the left side of the screen is a 'cluster quiz' button. Have you taken the quiz? What were to results?

Hello, thanks for the welcome! I just did the test and yes, it confirmed what the doctor said about the CH.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 11:13am

While it's good that you have found a doctor who has made a diagnosis doesn't mean that he has god experience and training with headache disorders. Don't be shy in asking him about his experience and trainng.

If he has little training/experience, ask directly about a referral to a doctor with experience. Issue is:there are many disorders thich look like Cluster but are not a headache disorder. For your well being, an accurate diagnosis is important.

Is this doctor giving you any medications now? If not, print out the article below, and give to him.

Do stay in contact with us.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!