Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm Curious ? (Read 2160 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
I'm Curious ?
Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:00pm

I'm curious! When in a cycle and taking Verapamil or similar as a preventative, how can you tell whether the  Smiley has left or not? 

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: I'm Curious ?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:09pm

Interesting question....for many years I used verapamil...sometimes 1000 mg/dy...even then it was only 70% effective in reducing hits. Episodic then....tho I just stayed on full time as it was "painful" to ramp up when the next cycle started. I suspect that you "know" when the usual pattern is "less so"...YMMV...

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:16pm

If I miss a dose the next HA is stronger. Verapamil doesn't stop the HA's for me, just makes them less strong...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:27pm

G'day Jon,
The reason I ask this question is because being a Spring and Fall clusterhead myself, I never used any preventatives, only  abortive meds, Migral, Zyprexa, and then before starting the vitamin D regimen, Imitrex, so I new when the beast had gone! No more attacks.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2016 at 9:38am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:30pm

Hoppy wrote on Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:00pm:
...how can you tell whether the  Smiley has left or not? 

We must be the only people within medical science to use the Beer Test as a diagnostic tool.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:42pm

Aussie Brian wrote, We must be the only people within medical science to use the Beer Test as a diagnostic tool.

So what your saying is, if your on a preventative and keeping the beast at bay, you'll still get an attack if still in a cycle and you have beer?

Hoppy
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:26am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:16am

Nah. Passing the Beer Test means having a beer and not getting hit, which proves you've beaten the bastage yet again!

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:26am

AussieBrian wrote on Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:16am:
Nah. Passing the Beer Test means having a beer and not getting hit, which proves you've beaten the bastage yet again!

Well for those of us who can pass the beer test when in cycle, it isn't a useful test.

However for me when I was using verapamil as a preventive it was never 100% perfect, so I'd still get a few CHs, so my end of cycle detection was based on not getting any CHs over a few weeks when I'd have expected to have had a few.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 7:15am

Mike NZ wrote on Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:26am:
Well for those of us who can pass the beer test when in cycle, it isn't a useful test.

No test is perfect, of course, but this one has been around Clusterville for a while and has brought great joy to those who've found they can finally pass it.

Gotta love that happy dance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!