Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vitamin D3:GI upset when in high levels of 25(OH)D (Read 3599 times)
RickJim
CH.com Junior

Giving up is not an option.

Vancouver, British Columbia
Vitamin D3:GI upset when in high levels of 25(OH)D
Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:56am

For the CHeads that find relief from the Vitamin D3 regimen:

Do you ever experience stomach upset when taking high doses of vitamin D3?

I am at 145 ng/mL of 25(OH)D and I am pain free. Nonetheless, I have had stomach upset since I went over 120 ng/mL. I thought that it could be first symptoms of hypercalcemia; so I went to have my calcium levels measured, together with PTH. However they were normal.

I know this is not an allergic reaction to the supplements as in low levels of 25(OH)D serum I have no problem.

I stopped taking calcium with the regimen and I stopped eating foods rich in calcium. Hopefully that helps, but wanted to touch base with you guys in case anyone of you have experienced the same.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2016 at 2:03am by RickJim »  

Thanks

Rick
https://www.facebook.com/rjimenezt  
IP Logged

RickJim
CH.com Junior

Re: Vitamin D3:GI upset when in high levels of 25(OH)D
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:25pm

BTW - I know that this GI troubles are not caused by the fish oil nor the magnesium. As I have been taking them for awhile with no problem. My stomach troubles started when I reached high concentrations of 25(OH)D serum in my blood
Shocked

Thanks

Rick
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 1:27pm

Hey rick, sorry to hear you're having GI troubles with the D3.
Batch says that the therapeutic effect of the D3 regimen is at around 80ng/ml. Now that you're back taking 10000iu/day (as u mention in other thread), your levels will likely drop back to 80ng/ml and hopefully your Gi troubles will go away.
Just saying that because you say that GI troubles started when your levels went north 120ng/ml.
Taking 10000iu D3/day should see you at 80ng/ml.

All the best
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2016 at 1:28pm by thierry »  

IP Logged

RickJim
CH.com Junior

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:28pm

Thank you Thierry - however I am not letting that happen... I am monitoring my 25(OH)D serum levels closely as I know I am still in my cycle. I am afraid that if my levels go down considerably my CHs will comeback... I will stay in this level for a few more days/weeks until I feel my cycle has ended and then I will taper the Vitamin D3.

In the meantime I will try to find solutions for my GI upset.  Batch suggested sublingual administration of vitamin D3 to avoid my GI tract. I'll try that to see if it helps.

Has anyone tried sublingual vitamin D3 pills? If so what brand anyone can recommend?
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:30pm by RickJim »  

Thanks

Rick
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:51am

Hi Rick,
A way to take the D3 sublingual is with sprays
such as this one

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Sprays might help your GI problems.
The spray in the link above gives you 1000iu D3 per spray.

All the best
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:55am by thierry »  

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:53am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This spary contains organic omega 3 -6 - 9 too
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2016 at 1:53am by thierry »  

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 7:11am

Good morning

My 25(OH)D level was 40 when I started. Is 80 the magic number or does it vary from person to person. I just do not want to end up with problems either. When shouldyou go back and get your blood work rechecked

Thanks
Ilndguy

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 8:17am

Good morning,

80 is the target for most people, but it can differ for some.

Stick with the loading dose and get tested again at 4-5 weeks in.

Don't get overly hung up on the numbers. Toxicity is pretty difficult to achieve. I have only ever heard of one case of D3 toxicity and the person took 50,000 iu every day for three months.

Concentrate on getting pain free and then dropping to the daily loading dose of 10,000 iu per day.

Best regards,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 10:36am

Thank you Peter for the quick response. The info here is better than going to the doctors. I know that you have to go and see your doctor and people should not rely entirely on the information given here, but in my opinion it's better

Thanks again

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 1:33pm

The discussion in this thread is fantastic...  RickJim, another thing to try for the GI tract distress is a good probiotic.  Take it as directed on the bottle. 

For reference, there are a number of CHers who need to maintain a 25(OH)D serum concentration in the 120 to 160 ng/mL range in order to remain CH pain free...  that includes me when the pollen count is high.  When I do this I also cut out calcium and make sure I drink at least 2 liters of water a day.

As you've already pointed out, it's essential to see your PCP for regular labs for serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH if this is the case.

As long as you've started the 3-month course of vitamin B 50, I've found starting Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours for a week should enable you to stay CH pain free while reducing the vitamin D3 intake and lowering serum 25(OH)D concentration.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 2:31pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:52am

Good morning

RickJim,  Are you taking the pills on an empty stomach?  I was for a few days and my stomach got upset but when I took them with my main meal, the issues went away.

Hope this helps

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!